Really disapointed in Pflueger

coreyhkh

So last year I bought two supreme Xt spinning reels they work really good very smooth and light, anyway have about a month I was fishing for carp and I go to cast and boom the reel blows up and the bails falls into the water, I take it back to bass-pro and get an exchange and all is good. Until today I take my rod out and after a few casts bang it happens again but this time I got all the parts I get home and take it apart and find that the rivit they use in the bail where the line goes around is the cheapest thing I have ever seen, its hollow and there is hardly any reinforcement, a toothpick is stronger. I am going to go an get some JB weld and hope I can fix it.

for $150 I expect more.

Shimano does not have immunity from producing lemons. I've seen a lot of stradics fall apart in under a year as well.

I guess the problem is simply one of cutting costs as popularity and demand rise. As Pfleugers are now very popular, increased production usually results in less QC monitoring.

Same thing happened to Mitchell. Great reel until they moved production to the Pacific. They've produced nothing but disposable crap ever since.

Edited by bigugli

So last year I bought two supreme Xt spinning reels they work really good very smooth and light, anyway have about a month I was fishing for carp and I go to cast and boom the reel blows up and the bails falls into the water, I take it back to bass-pro and get an exchange and all is good. Until today I take my rod out and after a few casts bang it happens again but this time I got all the parts I get home and take it apart and find that the rivit they use in the bail where the line goes around is the cheapest thing I have ever seen, its hollow and there is hardly any reinforcement, a toothpick is stronger. I am going to go an get some JB weld and hope I can fix it.

for $150 I expect more.

Shimano :) Ahh, don't think I've seen a bail fly off a reel yet. Daiwa makes a fine product too.

I have a pretty good fleet of pfleugers, and haven't had a single issue. They get use A LOT too. I've even used them in salt water with no problems. I think you got a lemon!

They aren't shimano or diawa quality, but they're pretty damn good for the price!

S.

I will stop at basspro on my way home next weekend and see if they will replace it. Next time I buy a high end reel it will be Shimano.

I will let you guys no what happens.

Edited by coreyhkh

Comments on a particular product are always appreciated, but only if you've used that particular product.

What's the point in slagging a company when you have zero first hand experience?

I've used mostly Shimano my entire life but have started to stray towards Pflueger recently.

What I find amazing about the issue the op described, one of the things Pflueger is known for even on its lower end reels, is a superior bail mechanism.

It's beefier and more substantial than any Shimano product.

I have to admit I'm dissapointed to read this thread as I'm currently fishing several Pflueger Supreme XT's.

So far so good for me. I still maintain that for under $100 they can't be touched.

Time will tell.

I'll have a way better idea one year from now regarding durability.

Five Pflueger in our home, one Supreme, two Arbors, one President and, one Asaro. Never had a problem with any of them.

I, also, used to be almost strictly Shimano. Still Love their product, but, not exclusively anymore.

Like others have stated every company can make a lemon.

Comments on a particular product are always appreciated, but only if you've used that particular product.

What's the point in slagging a company when you have zero first hand experience?

I've used mostly Shimano my entire life but have started to stray towards Pflueger recently.

What I find amazing about the issue the op described, one of the things Pflueger is known for even on its lower end reels, is a superior bail mechanism.

It's beefier and more substantial than any Shimano product.

I have to admit I'm dissapointed to read this thread as I'm currently fishing several Pflueger Supreme XT's.

So far so good for me. I still maintain that for under $100 they can't be touched.

Time will tell.

I'll have a way better idea one year from now regarding durability.

X2. Flueger President for 3 years of heavy use for salmon and bows with no problems. As smooth as my old JAPANESE stradic. No problem paying $60 for that. Dont see a point in paying $200 for a Malaysian stradic.