Water temperatures

Big Cliff

In the past week water temperatures (at a lake somewhere in the Kawartha's) has dropped almost 12°. This will have set the fishing back to about normal for this time of the year.

I have a report from a buddy that he checked out another spot where there is normally an early bite but he didn't get a single hit. Not sure what that means, could be that the run is late or has already passed. Could simply be that he is a lousy fisherman but I know better!

Reports from other boats have been that the catching is way below normal for this time of the year. Not a single "white bucketer" has been charged with over their limit yet. I think I am going to start trailering my boat to a few other lakes because Things sure are slow where I am!

Well Ciff its no better over here , last Sunday Skeeter and i gave it a try out in the boat , in six hours of fishing there were only two bites and Skeet landed those to have to put them back ..... herring .We traveled just about the hole lake that day , only saw one other boat who came right over to see if we were getting any action , water temp that day was at 39F, and all i caught that day was pneumonia .

Edited by Skipper " D "

I'm hoping to get out this afternoon (at another lake somewhere in the Kawartha's) but don't have high expectations. Will probably try out a bit deeper from our traditional spots.

marked a lot of fish in the 14-16' range but couldn't get them to hit no matter what I tried. They were all suspended at about the 8' mark. Could have been bait or crappie waiting to move to thwe shallows.

Give me a call later 705-928-8899 and we'll exchange information.

I was thinking of going up to my folks place, launch the tinny and hunt down some perch but not anymore... :wallbash: I just hope now to get some rain so I can get to da riva! It was brutal this morning there on the banks where I was... <_<

like kickingfrog said, surface temps can vary wildly this time of year, pay little attention to them. a few hours of sunlight or a good wind mixing things up will change them +/-.

you'd find that temps 1'+ down have not changed much at all (still cold).

Edited by Raf

Well Ciff its no better over here , last Sunday Skeeter and i gave it a try out in the boat , in six hours of fishing there were only two bites and Skeet landed those to have to put them back ..... herring .We traveled just about the hole lake that day , only saw one other boat who came right over to see if we were getting any action , water temp that day was at 39F, and all i caught that day was pneumonia .

Geeze, that some wild-lookin' shoreline in behind you?

Well all we managed in 4 hours and 3 or 4 spots today was a few perch and one active school of bluegill. A tough bite to say the least.

I don't know what the water temps have been the few times we've been out, my fishfinder is reading 15 to 20 degrees high for some reason. What I do know, is that when we first got out right at the end of that warm spell (about a week and a half ago) the fish were really active, crappie, sunfish, even saw a number of carp jumping like it was May. The following Sunday, after a couple of colder days, we managed a few crappie but overall the action was way down. Today, after a week or more of seasonal temps, it was hard to find a bite at all.

How far do you think crappie will move when the weather changes? From where we caught some last week to any water more than 10' deep is probably half a mile or so, would they move that far?

Well all we managed in 4 hours and 3 or 4 spots today was a few perch and one active school of bluegill. A tough bite to say the least.

I don't know what the water temps have been the few times we've been out, my fishfinder is reading 15 to 20 degrees high for some reason. What I do know, is that when we first got out right at the end of that warm spell (about a week and a half ago) the fish were really active, crappie, sunfish, even saw a number of carp jumping like it was May. The following Sunday, after a couple of colder days, we managed a few crappie but overall the action was way down. Today, after a week or more of seasonal temps, it was hard to find a bite at all.

How far do you think crappie will move when the weather changes? From where we caught some last week to any water more than 10' deep is probably half a mile or so, would they move that far?

Yep, they will move that far in less than an hour.

S.

In the past week water temperatures (at a lake somewhere in the Kawartha's) has dropped almost 12°. This will have set the fishing back to about normal for this time of the year.

I have a report from a buddy that he checked out another spot where there is normally an early bite but he didn't get a single hit. Not sure what that means, could be that the run is late or has already passed. Could simply be that he is a lousy fisherman but I know better!

Reports from other boats have been that the catching is way below normal for this time of the year. Not a single "white bucketer" has been charged with over their limit yet. I think I am going to start trailering my boat to a few other lakes because Things sure are slow where I am!

The snow that's falling is nice warm snow. It will bring the temps up somewhere in the Kawarthas. :wallbash:

I like winter, but right now, I've just about had it with snow.