Fishing along the Toronto Waterfront

Jon

I got kicked out of there on a regular basis in the late 70s and early 80s. Back then, there was a spot where you could sneak through the security fence on the east side, near where the HMCS Haida used to be docked. There was awesome topwater action in the lagoons there for mid-summer largemouth. Security guys would always kick you out when the day shift came on at 8:00, but they were generally pretty calm about it. You could still catch a few fish from the outside of the security fence, but it wasn't nearly as good.

I got kicked out of there on a regular basis in the late 70s and early 80s. Back then, there was a spot where you could sneak through the security fence on the east side, near where the HMCS Haida used to be docked. There was awesome topwater action in the lagoons there for mid-summer largemouth. Security guys would always kick you out when the day shift came on at 8:00, but they were generally pretty calm about it. You could still catch a few fish from the outside of the security fence, but it wasn't nearly as good.

We used to catch carp from the Haida, back in the early 70's, and some were monsters.

I am sure the police were just "following orders" but this is a complete waste of their time. How about heading over to the Humber and nabbing more snaggers( that is still within TPA boundries)

In fact, they should be encouraging more fishing from shore.

Most shore anglers in TO have also used that spot and others nearby. I have even been approached by OP staff and allowed to park for free there (when there wasn't an event on).

As Dave mentions and reminders of Ron, there should be more shore accessible fishing, not less.

Cheers,

Mark

Anywhere from the little cove with that short jetty wall thing all the way to the little parking lot on the west side is Ontario Place property and they will kick you out of there. Mid winter you can usually get away with a few trips in there with out getting booted but as soon as the hoards start to show they go on bootin' detail. Nothing a float tube or a kayak can't fix.

313_71069165102_643010102_4031685_7504_n.jpg

FHR

Anywhere from the little cove with that short jetty wall thing all the way to the little parking lot on the west side is Ontario Place property and they will kick you out of there. Mid winter you can usually get away with a few trips in there with out getting booted but as soon as the hoards start to show they go on bootin' detail. Nothing a float tube or a kayak can't fix.

313_71069165102_643010102_4031685_7504_n.jpg

FHR

Wouldn't you need a harbour masters license? By the way nice fish!

Edited by Richmond Hill fisher

Are you sure about that because I remember hearing one guy say that he was fined for trying to put in a canoe?

If he was trespassing that's probably why he got a ticket. No harbour license needed if you aren't in a engine powered vessel.

For the 8 years I was up there fishing with my float tubes, never was l asked to leave or told it was not legal. Countless times the Harbor police came up to me and ask how the fishing was. Personal water craft are held to different regulations as other boats. The police did ask if l had a my kit. Legally all I needed to be out there was a life jacket (must be worn), a pealess wistle and a mirror/flashlight. That's it! As far as being on the water anything on the water in and around Toronto was fair game and only to be policed by the Harbor police. (ie. someone on land can't legally ask you to leave) A Harbor licence (which by the way l think an absolute cash grab) is only for moterized registered boats.

FHR

You can canoe and kayak from the mainland to the islands. I have put in my kayak many times in the past and borrowed the docks at the canoe club (with their permission of course) and paddled to the islands. Before my first paddle, I called the marine unit on the pier and all they told me was to adhere to the safety standards ... kit, jacket, etc. Stay alert and aware of the ferries and sail clubs. It gets really busy out there at times.

I am sure the police were just "following orders" but this is a complete waste of their time. How about heading over to the Humber and nabbing more snaggers( that is still within TPA boundries)

In fact, they should be encouraging more fishing from shore.

Most shore anglers in TO have also used that spot and others nearby. I have even been approached by OP staff and allowed to park for free there (when there wasn't an event on).

As Dave mentions and reminders of Ron, there should be more shore accessible fishing, not less.

Cheers,

Mark

Go tell it to the people around simcoe.

My response to these issues is always the same.

Can I walk a dog here, ride a bike, fly a kite?

If so, than why are anglers being discriminated against. If you selectively choose to eliminate one user group without reason then you are discriminating against that group.

The fancy boats face no more or less risk than allowing other people to access the area. Walkers might steal your fancy boat. Dogs might bite the boat owners. Why does the theory only apply to anglers?

The only way to remove these laws is to challenge them.

Good for you David, to bring this issue forward to the press.

Edited by Michael Brown

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1152772--anglers-free-to-fish-at-ontario-place

Anglers free to fish at Ontario Place — for now

Published On Tue Mar 27 2012Email Print (4)

Professional angler David Chong was warned near Ontario Place by a Toronto police officer that it is illegal to fish along the Toronto waterfront. That isn't the case and police are looking into the matter.

DAVID COOPER/TORONTO STAR

Emily Jackson

Staff Reporter

Urban anglers can once more cast their lines at Ontario Place knowing they’re not outlaws.

The attraction has no official policy on fishing, said Sarah Harris, spokeswoman for the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport.

While that isn’t exactly a blessing, it means people can fish along open parts of Ontario Place’s public shoreline as long as they have proper licences and follow natural resources ministry regulations.

Toronto’s fishing community was sent reeling after the police marine unit told professional angler Dave Chong it was illegal to fish at Ontario Place in early March.

The park is partially closed for revitalization, but its public parking facilities — a popular pike fishing spot — will remain open until construction begins, Harris said.

Police were under the impression people are not allowed to fish in that area, said Const. Tony Vella. However, it’s not clear which law they were enforcing so they are looking into the matter further, Vella said.

Anglers must keep their lines in along most of Toronto’s Inner Harbour because of a variety of rules set by different owners.

The confusing rules gained attention after Chong, a prize-winning fisherman, had his (pleasant and nonconfrontational, he said) run-in with police.

Chong, who also runs a youth fishing charity, believes police were enforcing a Toronto Port Authority rule that only allows fishing from the shoreline in designated zones. But the port authority rule only applies to land it owns, making it irrelevant at Ontario Place.

Since Chong is a popular voice in Ontario’s fishing community, his situation sparked somewhat of an outcry.

In response, the port authority announced Tuesday it will start talks on “the rights of individuals to enjoy the pleasure of fishing in Toronto-area waters” with the city, Harbourfront Centre, Ontario Place, Waterfront Toronto and the natural resources ministry.

“Fishing has never been banned, and once appropriate sites are chosen by landlords and marked for public use, we are happy to host a fishing derby this summer,” authority board chairman Mark McQueen said in a statement.