Tonight's Carnage!

I was going to add this to my post from last night but I want to hit on everybody's comments there and I wanted to point out that we absolutely hammered them on tiny pink Slammers... those are my new fav. panfish baits! We came up short on the crappie tonight but laid a serious beat down on the gills... The action was so insane we didn't even want to stop and take pictures... all we have is a photo we took of our evening feast... Many more fish were thrown back... I said it before and I'll say it again.. this weather is awesome!

IMG_5711.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan

The beginnings of a serious fish fry there :thumbsup_anim: I'm planning on an assault on them Sunday....can't wait.

I actually like them better then crappie for eating...you just have to clean a few more.

call me crazy, but i had a good feed of long point bluegill this week and it was even better than simcoe perch....

I found the 2 perch. Nice haul.

Nice spot :whistling: - we found a good school of perch but they'd just stare at our baits.. sneaky little buggers! I mised one that must have gone close to 2lb - it was a giant!

Good catch!,but aren't blue gills in the same family as crappie,pumpkin seed,and a couple others.We had a blast last year catching all the above one day last fall.

Bluegill are in the Subfish family, same as Largemouth & Smallmouth bass.... IMO they fight way better than crappie...

That's one serious gill beat down!!!

Thanks!

The beginnings of a serious fish fry there :thumbsup_anim: I'm planning on an assault on them Sunday....can't wait.

I actually like them better then crappie for eating...you just have to clean a few more.

Unless you're getting into 15+ inch crappie, I find gills have more meat on them... they're usually a little thicker on the back... great eating to

Holy CRAP Ryan, You're really making me wish I had the boat home. Although she'd be pretty tough to launch with the gates still closed.

I have my ways Frankie :whistling: Keep in touch and we'll get in a slam some fish for opener... hopefully there's still some trout up shallow.. we caught a couple of incidentals mixed right in with the bluegill last night

call me crazy, but i had a good feed of long point bluegill this week and it was even better than simcoe perch....

I've never had Simcoe perch, but Bluegill are on the top of my tasty fish list...

You murderous ghoul!!! :w00t:

Looks yummy!!!!

haha i'll let you know this afternoon when the whole family is pounding back 42 sides of panfish! :jerry:

I've never eatin a blue gill before. But if people are comparing them to perch..I might have to give it a try :whistling:

They're awesome eating man... and I've got it made.. my mother-in-law is a local Port Rowanite and grew up cleaning fish for the local commercial guys so she's a pro at cleaning gills

I can't imagine those are much fun to fillet!

Again - I hit up my mother-in-law! :thumbsup_anim: And if I play my cards right she'll pass her panfish cleaning tricks down to Averie and I'll never have to clean one t'il the day they put me in the ground... :Gonefishing:

It's supposed to be pretty quick and painless with an electric fillet knife.

It is a bit of a chore with a manual one though.

My dad does a good job with his electric, and my mother in law hammers through them real good with a regular knife! I don't even try because I massacre them! lol

Nice slay of gills! They are tanks in there, eh? Ya can't beat a good fry of spring sunnies!! They are worth the effort to fillet. They are very similar to a crappie.

S.

They are tanks in there - but there's no shortage of little ones to... You can catch plate sized fish all day if you're using the right baits... if you go to small you catch 20 dinks for every decent fish.. And you're right.. great eating..

That is an awesome haul there! I know what I'm going to be dreaming about tonight. Now I gotta start going through my panfish tackle\rods and get em ready in hopes for something like that. Nicely done.

Thanks dude - everybody uses tubes, but it was my first time trying to small Slammers and they just hammered them! Good Luck!

No wonder that lake is void of any pannies come summer LOL

Nice haul homebrew. :thumbsup_anim:

Hey brotha - I can assist you on your panfish quest this summer if you need! lol Really though, I usually keep 20 to 30 gills each spring and that doesn't even put a dent into the population... I also film a lot of underwater footage in the lake and there's thousands upon thousands of them. In recent years the crappie population has crashed and I seriously think the bluegills insane population explosion is what did it? Also, nobody else really keeps the little buggers... the biggest problem is that the locals like to keep 24+ inch largies! lol :wallbash: What bugs me is my serious lack of being able to catch perch... they're like walleye in there...

I found a similar sized school of crappie a couple of days ago...stacked together in 4 feet or less...must have been the warm water of the shallows.....

the big fish are in pre-spawn still in my lake... lots of little ones up in the shallows enjoying the warm weather though! go get'em

HAHA! Agreed, nice haul Ryan.

:thumbsup_anim:

And as Uncle Dave sez "they are just the right size for a hamburger bun with tarter sauce etc."

Hey brotha - I can assist you on your panfish quest this summer if you need! lol Really though, I usually keep 20 to 30 gills each spring and that doesn't even put a dent into the population... I also film a lot of underwater footage in the lake and there's thousands upon thousands of them. In recent years the crappie population has crashed and I seriously think the bluegills insane population explosion is what did it? Also, nobody else really keeps the little buggers... the biggest problem is that the locals like to keep 24+ inch largies! lol :wallbash: What bugs me is my serious lack of being able to catch perch... they're like walleye in there...

:thumbsup_anim:

Ooh ooh Pree Tourney!! :clapping::tease: