When does????

misfish

Anadromous indicates being in "sea" water or salt as opposed to freshwater, therefore what we have in the Great Lakes is not a Steelhead trout but rather a Potamodromous. Truly migratory fishes whose migrations occur wholly within freshwater. (From [potamos], river ... ) .

Steelhead, IMO, seems to be something that the steeheaders use to make themselves sound more ... :dunno:

my understanding is the rainbow trout that have been stocked in the great lakes were steelhead(migratory sea run)west coast fish and have develop the same characteristics in the great lakes(migratory) so are called steelhead. I also read recently that they are more closely related to pacific salmon then first thought and actually might be better catagorized as such.

Steelhead are anadromous rainbow trout.

This means they are a rainbow that migrates out of it's natal river to an ocean or large lake (Great Lakes) when it smolts. It lives it's life in the ocean or large lake and when mature it returns to it's natal stream to spawn. It returns to the ocean/lake after spawning to return (hopefully) yearly on these spawning runs.

A rainbow (non-steelhead) is one that does not drop out of it's natal stream into a large lake or ocean. It spends it's life in the river/stream it was born in.

BINGO!

Not necessarily.

There are lots of places that open on the 3rd Saturday in April that have regular rainbows in them. :lol:

4th Sat Dave, lol!!

I definitely won't be fishing 'steelhead' on opener.. All residents for me (brookies, browns, rainbows, etc)

Steelhead are anadromous rainbow trout.

This means they are a rainbow that migrates out of it's natal river to an ocean or large lake (Great Lakes) when it smolts. It lives it's life in the ocean or large lake and when mature it returns to it's natal stream to spawn. It returns to the ocean/lake after spawning to return (hopefully) yearly on these spawning runs.

A rainbow (non-steelhead) is one that does not drop out of it's natal stream into a large lake or ocean. It spends it's life in the river/stream it was born in.

BINGO!

Well, not exactly. Anadromus refers to fish that live in the salt and run fresh water rivers to spawn.

Technically our fish are potanadromous, look it up.

As far as steelhead vs rainbow trout, most of our naturally reproducing "steelhead" have genetic roots that can be traced back to a variety of different west coast strains of anadromous steelhead.

Genetically they're identical. They have adapted over generations to life in the great lakes, remain migratory, but have timed their spawning runs to best suit our climate and the water temps and levels encountered.

Based on genetics alone and the fact that these fish exhibit a similar life history I have zero problems calling them steelhead.

There are some notable exceptions, a prime example being the mutts that the State of Pennsylvania stocks by the millions into their streams. Their closest relatives are in the fish tanks at Fortinos LOL!

Rest assured Brian, the river that you fish has runs of what I'd consider to be true steelhead.

Edited by solopaddler

A steelhead and a rainbow are exactly the same no difference nadda zip zero.

Tomatoe tomato same fruit diferent name.

Technically yes, they're genetically the same fish.

But wild west coast strains have evolved an anadromous lifestyle and are genetically "preprogrammed" to be migratory.

Also the specific west coast strains that have been stocked in the great lakes exhibit noticable physical differences between inland non migratory rainbows, ie, they're longer and leaner.

So am I building you a Rainbow rod or a Steelhead rod Brian, I need to know before I get started. w00t.gif

:clapping::rofl2:

Rest assured Brian, the river that you fish has runs of what I'd consider to be true steelhead.

They are strong fish. We didnt find out today though.It was a total blow out.Didnt think we got that much rain to do that.Ryan checked the site, and it went from great all week and spiked right to the top on the chart over night.

Brian the river has been garbage all week man, I drive over it everyday. You didn't miss out on anything, trust me.

Actually it looked pretty decent wednesday thursday... I drive over it in 2 spots 25 kms apart everyday. :P I'm not into fishing the rivers in the spring though.

Brian they will always be 'bows to me. Although I have been referring to them as steelhead ever since I got my pin last fall. :blink:

yeah but he didn't type pickeral

he typed pickerel and I am pretty sure he mean yellow pickerel

so try again

The two fish shown are night and day different,I'm not sure of the proper spelling,but I thought they were one of the same fish,or very,very close in appearance.