Most stupid thing you've heard while fishing,

Dave Bailey

I'm not talking about jokes here, I mean things that just make you wonder how some people get through life alive, let alone fish while doing it. I suspect this list could be long.

A couple of years ago I was down at Frenchmans Bay, and witnessed some bonehead throwing stuff at one of the resident beavers as it swam by. I yelled at him to stop, and his reply stunned me; "What do you want to protect them for? They'll eat all the fish!"

Natural history FAIL. :wallbash:

Not so much a saying, but more of an action.

I always get a kick out of the guys who use a spinning reel like a baitcaster. They have the reel upside down, and turn it backwards to retrieve.

We were out filming a show with three boats on the water. We took a break to eat lunch and grouped up togther as we drifted.

A boat comes flying by and we hear one of them say "hey look at those guys all bunched together, they must be killing them, lets go over there"

As they get within a long cast away we hear the buddy say,

"You idiot, they're eating"

I always get a kick out of the guys who use a spinning reel like a baitcaster. They have the reel upside down, and turn it backwards to retrieve.

THIS is the stupidest. Its one thing if a guy picks up a fishing rod, having never seen one used, but to stubbornly continue to fish that way, despite everyone else you've ever seen spin fishing?? From personal experience, I've determined that this upsidedown-style type of fishing stems from that the fact Dad used to fish that way, so thats the way Imma do it too!

But what if he's using it that way on a spiral wrapped rod? Would it be OK then? rofl2.gif

The first year I fished in Alaska we were fishing the Kenai just below Skilak Lake.

We pulled into the drift and i was using a 15' float rod with my center pin and some red neck rube from Alabama or some other Southern state says to his buddy "He's using one of them thar spy rods!!!". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have no patience for any jackass that holds pike by the eye sockets, because that's how you hold them.

Agreed, that's brutal.

Or someone who has their fingers up the gill plates about to release a fish...

The first year I fished in Alaska we were fishing the Kenai just below Skilak Lake.

We pulled into the drift and i was using a 15' float rod with my center pin and some red neck rube from Alabama or some other Southern state says to his buddy "He's using one of them thar spy rods!!!". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If only we had Green Coach Dog to help us with the hillybilly to English translation. Did he mean spay or fly when he said spy?

Neighbour at the cottage had some company up last summer and were having a hard time catching fish. They were after lakers and hadnt had a sniff. I point them to a sweet spot to help them salvage their day and have a bit of fun as there are some large pike that hold there.

Well, dont they come back with a 13lb gator! The visitors kid shows up later that day, the old man takes him out and they return with a 15lber OFF THE SAME SPOT!!!

The guy then has the nerve to slap me on the shoulder with a good ole " thanks for the honey hole! Youll have to show me your good spot next summer when we come back!"

The neighbour approached me after his guests left and apologized for pirating the spot, knowing im all for C+R. But im still vexed about it.

My contribution is me. Stupid people that dont know when to keep their mouths shut.

Returned to the dock with a limit of nice walleyes....guy on dock asked me how did you catch them....we were back trolling Rapalas....how do you do that.....we tie the line on the back hood of the Rapala... :wallbash:

Also those who think all the fish in the lake are theirs only....and get upset when you take some home to eat.... :whistling: