Helpful hint to hooking up to your trailers .

Skipper D

Use your mirrors, small movements of the steering wheel and all will go well. I love watching the guys with their one arm over the seat, looking out the back window snaking back and forth down the ramp, lol!!!!!

Backup up a trailer isn't rocket science, just take your time and go slow.

Edited by BillM

Fair enough. My suggestions:

- continue to keep your hand on the bottom of the wheel

- go slow whether it's speed backing up or turning the wheel. Quick lefts and rights move fast.

- if you need to occassionally pull slightly ahead from time to time to straighten out, go for it

- dont worry much about the other guys. They have all been there before. You'll be a pro in no time.

Thanks Bud.....This'll be my third summer with a boat.It's getting easier.I am lucky to have a ramp where i drive in,in a big cresent lot, that leaves you almost perfectly lined up to back straight into the water.Still get sweaty when i pull into one with a curve thoughwhistling.gifw00t.gif

Yep. What Lew said :thumbsup_anim:

When I got my 'bigger' boat , I trailered it down to a 'quiet' launch in the middle of a weekday to practice. A couple of 'veterans' took the time to teach & coach me how to properly 'power load' my boat onto the trailer as well as launching. When time permits and fellow boaters are accepting of help, I gladly help them out. If time doesn't permit, I'll give them a friendly heads up and let them know that You Tube is a good resource for learning the basics.

I think most of us always volunteer to help out the 'solo launcher'. Especially when there's rods in the boat.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about the boaters that launch, tie up the dock and then go back to the car to retrieve the dog and the cooler and the wife from the washroom.

thats weird... i dont remember you being that understanding last year when we got in from that crazy storm on Lake O...lol... remember the one? when the launch looked like rapids from the run off...lol

i remember steam fizzing out your ears...

and then.... just as we go to hop our soaking wet tushies in the car... MNR fish check and sampling.....we looked like 3 drowned rats... shivering in august...

but you didnt go off on anyone... ill give you that...lol

Yep. What Lew said :thumbsup_anim:

When I got my 'bigger' boat , I trailered it down to a 'quiet' launch in the middle of a weekday to practice. A couple of 'veterans' took the time to teach & coach me how to properly 'power load' my boat onto the trailer as well as launching. When time permits and fellow boaters are accepting of help, I gladly help them out. If time doesn't permit, I'll give them a friendly heads up and let them know that You Tube is a good resource for learning the basics.

I think most of us always volunteer to help out the 'solo launcher'. Especially when there's rods in the boat.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about the boaters that launch, tie up the dock and then go back to the car to retrieve the dog and the cooler and the wife from the washroom.

thats weird... i dont remember you being that understanding last year when we got in from that crazy storm on Lake O...lol... remember the one? when the launch looked like rapids from the run off...lol

i remember steam fizzing out your ears...

and then.... just as we go to hop our soaking wet tushies in the car... MNR fish check and sampling.....we looked like 3 drowned rats... shivering in august...

but you didnt go off on anyone... ill give you that...lol

You're right Mike, I cannot ever recall Pikeslayer becoming upset due to an unfortunate occurrence. He is a man with a very even keel, especially when he loses a expensive piece of equipment in 300 feet of water.

It will come with time and practise. When I first bought my boat it took me 15min to back it into the launch with my fishing partner throwing his hands up in the air and offering to back it in for me (maybe he will chime in here) :thumbsup_anim:. The first time taking the boat out at the beginning of boat season I am a little rusty too.

On a side note, nothing is harder to back into the water then a sea doo with a pick up as you can't see the thing. I saw a girl struggling to do it at a launch so I offered to back it in for her but quickly realised why she was struggling. My eyes were struggling to stay off her as well :D

You need to take up ice fishing so you have to tow your quad or snowmobile around all winter.

Keeps you in tune for the softwater season. ;)

Nice and slow, no jerking of the wheel, making 2 - 3 inch adjustments on the wheel over a longer run makes for a more comfortable ride, those short, hard to get to, turn the trailer on a dime type deals, ugh!

Actually Skip, some good ideas there.I am one of those who is still new to trailer back ups. My biggest problem is left and right turns backing up. I now hold onto the bottom of the steering wheel.Seems my brain doesnt work quickly enough in transfering the left to turn right, and right to turn left, manoeuvredunno.gif

Also, i kinda stress a bit trying to get my boat in the water, so others in line can get to the dock also.

I am not afraid to admit, that i ain't no trailer jockey.

Welcome to my other club Merc...

I usually sneak down to the launch mid week with my wife to put the "Tin of Beans" in the water in the spring...

Never much problem hauling her out in the fall...

Once a season is not enough backing up to become expert at it...sad.gif

I love watching the guys with their one arm over the seat, looking out the back window snaking back and forth down the ramp, lol!!!!!

Jeepers - you mean to tell me I've been doing it wrong all these years ???

Edited by Rob V

I love watching the guys with their one arm over the seat, looking out the back window snaking back and forth down the ramp, lol!!!!!

Jeepers - you mean to tell me I've been doing it wrong all these years ???

If your boat and trailer are making a distinct 'S' pattern, maybe you should try the mirrors instead :)

The real pro backs her down into the launch and stops 1-2" short of getting the hubs wet..... :whistling::rofl2::devil:

A quick tap of the brakes and the boat just flies off the trailer and parks itself next to the dock as well? LOL!!!

I just put a mark on the inside of the tailgate. Line that up with a specific point on the boat and I'm golden every single time.

I do the same thing in my SUV, with a small grease pencil mark at the bottom of the rear window. It will wash off when I sell the truck, so no one will ever know.

I can do that with the roller bunks on my trailer... Well almost... I can launch in about a foot of water....

I need at least 14" of draft at my transom to launch my boat....so sometimes all I need is about 6" or so at the rear roller of my trailer as long as the water keeps dropping off where the transom will end up after I push her off.....keep them rollers greased and pads siliconed up and you will be surprised how shallow a boat can be launched in..... :)

Well Bob, I can launch my boat in NO water, off a beach. The tires don't even touch the water at all. I can't disclose my secret here, but I use the winch to winch if off. Works pretty slick when the launches are frozen :thumbsup_anim:

S.

Well Bob, I can launch my boat in NO water, off a beach. The tires don't even touch the water at all. I can't disclose my secret here, but I use the winch to winch if off. Works pretty slick when the launches are frozen :thumbsup_anim:

S.

I never doubted you Sinker......REAL fishermen Get 'R Done..... :thumbsup_anim: