Two more guys rescued on Simcoe today.

kickingfrog

There are numerous charges that could be laid. Mischief, endangerment, or negligence clauses that cover any act, or failure to act, which causes damage, harm, or public risk.

OR “Attempted suicide with endangering other people’s life”

I really don't see how they could be charged with anything .

Is there an actual law that says they can't go on the ice, or did they disobey an order from police ??

I'm not being a smart azz, but although what they did was totally reckless and maybe even stupid, I believe it was still totally legal.

Or did I miss something ?? :dunno:

Charged under the criminal code.. No likely.

Fined at a municipal level for the use of emergency services. Hopefully.

I worked in emergency services for many years and saw alot of bad stuff happen because of lack of smarts, but I don't ever recall an incident where folks were charged because we responded.

I'm certainly not defending these guys, I just don't see how they can legally be charged with anything, but then again, I'm not a lawyer.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3073140%20%20

You have to in Barrie.

You get in an accident, your insurance company gets a bill for the service supplied by the fire deparment. OR atleast that what they're trying to do, not sure if it's passed yet.

How is this any different. Car accidents are "accidents".. Ice fisherman on thin ice, in crappy conditions, in my opinion, is not an accident.

Edited by N.A.W

Thanks for the info NAW, that's interesting.

I've been retired 12 years now and wasn't aware of that sorta thing and honestly don't agree with it, but I spose that's a topic for another day.

We already pay a fee when transported by ambulance, now were gonna pay for a fire truck so I guess next we'll also pay for the police to be there too.

Kinda makes me wonder what we're paying taxes for :dunno:

I really don't see how they could be charged with anything .

Is there an actual law that says they can't go on the ice, or did they disobey an order from police ??

I'm not being a smart azz, but although what they did was totally reckless and maybe even stupid, I believe it was still totally legal.

Or did I miss something ?? :dunno:

There are big sections of the CCOC which can be applied. The criminal code is not that black and white. It was always written with lots of room for interpretation. You can be guilty of negligence by your actions or a failure to act. It can be with or without intent.

Did their actions put others at risk? The rescuers were placed at risk

Did their actions result in damage to property or loss of revenue? Taxpayer money was wasted and public equipment damaged.

Was not a minor also placed at risk? A 12 year old boy.

More than adequate grounds for criminal or civic charges.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3073140%20%20

You have to in Barrie.

You get in an accident, your insurance company gets a bill for the service supplied by the fire deparment. OR atleast that what they're trying to do, not sure if it's passed yet.

How is this any different. Car accidents are "accidents".. Ice fisherman on thin ice, in crappy conditions, in my opinion, is not an accident.

No it did not pass last year. It might come up again. I believe the main focus was fire crews on car accident scenes.

No it did not pass last year. It might come up again. I believe the main focus was fire crews on car accident scenes.

Thanks for the update :good:

I'm happy that they didn't end up passing it. When I herd they where trying to push it thru, it was a little ticked off.

There are big sections of the CCOC which can be applied. The criminal code is not that black and white. It was always written with lots of room for interpretation. You can be guilty of negligence by your actions or a failure to act. It can be with or without intent.

Did their actions put others at risk? The rescuers were placed at risk

Did their actions result in damage to property or loss of revenue? Taxpayer money was wasted and public equipment damaged.

Was not a minor also placed at risk? A 12 year old boy.

More than adequate grounds for criminal or civic charges.

I'm with you on that 100%!

I mean, if they charge people for a ride in an ambulance....

If they are not charged under the CC, than they should at least be charged a fine for all of the emergency vehicles that needed to be used. It is one thing if it is an 'accident', but these people should know better, hell, especially after what happened late last week... they are really giving ice fisherman a bad rep...

Not being smart but if they were insured they should pay .. if they had ofah memberships there liability insurance should pay ????

...and quickly make the ofah membership unaffordable for all.

How I suspect the conversation between the two may have gone before the ice began to move:

Angler #1 "Did you hear about those clowns that had to be plucked of the ice flow on Simcoe the other day?"

Angler #2 "Ya. Can you believe those guys?"

Angler #1 "Some people eh."

Angler #2 "So where should we fish today?"

Angler #1 "How about over there. No one to be seen for miles."

Angler #2 "Good call."

Angler #1 "Lets hurry and get there before someone else."

Angler #2 "Yep, some people." .... "Did you hear something?"

Like I've always said, it's unfortunate that sex is a natural act and no instructions are required. If it weren't for that fact, nature would then have automatically weeded out all the idiots and stoopid ones at an early point in evolution. On the other hand, we wouldn't have any idiots to laugh at and stoopid wouldn't be in the dictionary.

You should all be ashamed of yourself's....

I read the article like most or everyone here and have no other info except what I read....plain and simple....

However, MOST here want to be judge and jury and hang some fellow anglers when you know mostly NOTHING what really transpired on that ice except for what some ill-informed reported wrote....hell, their names were not even reported by said bad reporter. That alone shows you how much investigated reporting this NON NAME Reporter did.

I don't know, but MAYBE just maybe they were on the ice to recover one of their ice huts....what if it was your hut....would you be out there to hopefully bring it back to shore ?

We as angler and hunters need to embrace each other and stand by each other as both of these sports are on a continualas attack by the famous tree hugging nutcases.

And as far as charging them $$$ and also charging them for some kind of criminal or whatever is REDICKULAUS IMHO....these same anglers are also being charge HIGH taxes like the rest of us....so now they need government assistance and you're all in favour of them pay even more money now is crazy....

What is next.....let's say you have a 14' tinny and you go out fishing on Simcoe but it's a bit rough....but you intend to stay on the edge of the bay where many walleyes hang out on a breezy day....but today your little outboard fails you and you go a drift into even larger waves and have to be rescued.....should you have to pay for your rescue mission also....What should be the wave limit on a 14' boat, a 16' boat or a 20' boat....should the already over powered government have a say on this also....

Why crack open this can of worms.....it will only come back to HAUNT you in the end....for cry out loud....don't we all PAY too much for too little already from our government officials.....isn't this EXACTLY why we pay them already ? ? ?

Let's just be glad that this wasn't a worse ending and hopefully many have learned by it....of course there will be others that didn't read or hear about this next year....but they are still our fishing brothers, are they not.... :dunno:

Bob