New F150 questions

Gerry

I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 FX4 for a 2012 F150 Lariat, 4x4, 5.0L, Screw, 5.5 box. In doing my research I've uncovered a nagging and ongoing problem. The guys over at Ford-Trucks.com talk about a vibration (shudder) at low speeds and when weighted down, and that Ford doesn't have a fix for this yet. Anyone here care to comment? I know Lew and Wayne each have these trucks.....do you fellows have or had this issue?

Morning Gerry, mines a 2010 Super Crew with the 5.4 and about 45K on it I and haven't experienced that shudder your talking about. I know a couple other fellas with the same truck but haven't heard them mention it either.

Yes Gerry.. there is one speed.. around 55kph that the torque converter doesn't seem to know what to do with all that 360hp up front of the 5.0. Can only describe it as having a high HP street car on the back side of the power curve and the butterfly in the carb wanting to suck open and starts hopping the car. Gives a bit of a hitting/rocking feel to the truck. I just avoid the speed. Haven't had any issue towing heavy. Steel frame enclosed trailer.. with two sleds, huts and lots of crap, or my loaded up 34' deck trailer that weighs 3900 lbs empty.

First thing I also do when I start the truck is turn the traction control off. Can't stand it when the engine shuts down because a tire breaks loose..

Thanks guys. I should have been a bit more specific, this problem only affects the 2011 and 2012 model years. And it shows up at very low speeds, like at 10 kph or so. It appears that it has something to do with rear axle wrap but they're not sure. There are 2 cases in which the problem is so significant that the owners have returned the vehicles under the Lemon Law rules. Also, I believe that it affects only the longer box models, not the 5.5 ft.

So, if anyone has these models please let us know what your experience has been.

Gerry, I remember a few months back...or maybe more... there was a thread on BassBoatCentral about this exact topic.

Might be worth your while to head over there and maybe try to dig it up and see if they've come up with anything.

I have the 2011 F-150 you are describing and haven't noticed this. Then again, I haven't pulled super heavy loads with it yet (just got it this past summer). I have pulled lighter trailers on numerous occasions though. Boat & trailer, 2 sleds on a double wide sled trailer, utility trailer, and no problems or shudder.

(knock on wood)

I read numerous posts on your link and it looks like it's limited to trucks that have a 2-piece drive shaft. I'm not sure how many mine has, I'll have to check out of curiosity.

p.s. I love the truck so far.

Yes Gerry.. there is one speed.. around 55kph that the torque converter doesn't seem to know what to do with all that 360hp up front of the 5.0. Can only describe it as having a high HP street car on the back side of the power curve and the butterfly in the carb wanting to suck open and starts hopping the car. Gives a bit of a hitting/rocking feel to the truck. I just avoid the speed. Haven't had any issue towing heavy. Steel frame enclosed trailer.. with two sleds, huts and lots of crap, or my loaded up 34' deck trailer that weighs 3900 lbs empty.

First thing I also do when I start the truck is turn the traction control off. Can't stand it when the engine shuts down because a tire breaks loose..

Why settle for only 360hp and only 380fps torque @4250 torque when you can get a Toyota Tundra that has 381hp and 401fps torque @3600....and no chance of a shutter at any speeds....just something to think about if your diving in with both feet for a new truck.

get a Toyota Tundra that has 381hp and 401fps torque @3600....and no chance of a shutter at any speeds....just something to think about if your diving in with both feet for a new truck.

My lug nuts take more torque that that piece of wood you drive. If I put my Cummins into your recycled pop sardine can, it would most likely turn the frame and driveline into something akin to overcooked spagetti without any meat sauce. :rofl2:

Now go buzz off and play in the dirt. :tease:

Edited by Fisherman

Kinda sad Bob when you jump into every truck thread with your Tundra ramblings. I'm sure if Gerry wanted to know anything about Tundras he'd have mentioned it.

Actually it's getting very tiresome.

Kinda sad Bob when you jump into every truck thread with your Tundra ramblings. I'm sure if Gerry wanted to know anything about Tundras he'd have mentioned it.

Actually it's getting very tiresome.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The man had serious concerns about a problem with the Ford F150....I just mentioned he has other options.... :)

Edited by Billy Bob

My lug nuts take more torque that that piece of wood you drive. If I put my Cummins into your recycled pop sardine can, it would most likely turn the frame and driveline into something akin to overcooked spagetti without any meat sauce. :rofl2:

Now go buzz off and play in the dirt. :tease:

OUCH....your lug nuts must hurt after all that torque...... :rofl2::devil:

Why settle for only 360hp and only 380fps torque @4250 torque when you can get a Toyota Tundra that has 381hp and 401fps torque @3600....and no chance of a shutter at any speeds....just something to think about if your diving in with both feet for a new truck.

Billy Bob the new F150 with a 3.5 ecoboost 365Hp and 420lbs of tork will blow the doors off the Toyota with much better Gas Mileage.The 6.2 litre is another option with plenty of power and torque.Both can out tow Tundra.And the 5 litre Ford is rated for more pulling pounds.

I saw a video on youtube an F150 drag race against a Toyota Tundra.Yes the 5.0 litre lost by a couple of truck lengths but thats the third most powerful engine out of 4 options.

Tundra Maximum towing is 10 300 lbs the F150 5.0 is rated for 11 000 lbs; ecoboost is rated for 11 300 lbs .

Now I know you have a great truck as I like japanese Vehicles myself. As my Honda Odyssey Minivan is 12 yrs old and still runs great but Ford is one automaker that has evolved and there quality has improved drastically.

I bought a 2011 Ford Taurus Sel last year still in Love with it.Zero problems after 62 000kms and amazing fuel economy on the highway 8 litres per hundred at 100kph 33 miles per gallon and the car weighs over 4200lbs .

Now your Tundra would be a perfect Truck if they just made the Gas tank a little bigger.The downfall for many owners.

Now have you driven in a Ford lately

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

Billy Bob the new F150 with a 3.5 ecoboost 365Hp and 420lbs of tork will blow the doors off the Toyota with much better Gas Mileage.The 6.2 litre is another option with plenty of power and torque.Both can out tow Tundra.And the 5 litre Ford is rated for more pulling pounds.

I saw a video on youtube an F150 drag race against a Toyota Tundra.Yes the 5.0 litre lost by a couple of truck lengths but thats the second most powerful engine out of 4 options.

Tundra Maximum towing is 10 300 lbs the F150 5.0 is rated for 11 000 lbs; ecoboost is rated for 11 300 lbs .

Now I know you have a great truck as I like japanese Vehicles myself. As my Honda Odyssey Minivan is 12 yrs old and still runs great but Ford is one automaker that has evolved and there quality has improved drastically.

I bought a 2011 Ford Taurus Sel last year still in Love with it.Zero problems after 62 000kms and amazing fuel economy on the highway 8 litres per hundred at 100kph 33 miles per gallon and the car weighs over 4200lbs .

Now your Tundra would be a perfect Truck if they just made the Gas tank a little bigger.The downfall for many owners.

Now have you driven in a Ford lately

MTP

YEP, I agree.......the Tundra's gas tank should be at least 10 gallons bigger.....and I traded a Ford in on my Toyota Tundra.

This is good info as i am on my third F-150 and plan on a fourth when im done with this one. WIll have to look into this issue as well.

I currently have the 2010 Supercrew (same exact truck as lew and irish if i remember right from past ford threads)

I couldnt agree more with irish's comment about the traction control, cant stand it. Im a guy who knows how to drive in the snow and would rather control the truck instead of the truck controlling me. Its actually more dangerous if you ask me to have it on.

Ill also comment that i do have an issue currently when i accelerate from a stop while turning (left or right). I get a rumble sound the first few seconds of accleration almost as if 4WD is stuck or something. Have to take it in soon to see what thats all about. Not to hi-jack, but if any ford owners have experienced this......feel free to comment

Blaque, that 'rumble' could be the same issue that I'm talking about. The guys on that forum describe it as a vibration. It seems to affect only those with a 2 piece driveshaft, which is only found on the longer box models. Is that what you have? Some said that it could be a driveshaft balancing issue but Ford, it looks like, has yet to get a handle on the problem.

Ill also comment that i do have an issue currently when i accelerate from a stop while turning (left or right). I get a rumble sound the first few seconds of accleration almost as if 4WD is stuck or something. Have to take it in soon to see what thats all about. Not to hi-jack, but if any ford owners have experienced this......feel free to comment

I had a similar issue on my old Bronco.

It turned out to be a rear diff issue.

Luckily it was covered under the powertrain warranty as the cost was just over $1k and that was 20 years ago.

Blaque, that 'rumble' could be the same issue that I'm talking about. The guys on that forum describe it as a vibration. It seems to affect only those with a 2 piece driveshaft, which is only found on the longer box models. Is that what you have? Some said that it could be a driveshaft balancing issue but Ford, it looks like, has yet to get a handle on the problem.

No, i have the 5.5 box. So its not a split shaft. We shall see

I had a similar issue on my old Bronco.

It turned out to be a rear diff issue.

Luckily it was covered under the powertrain warranty as the cost was just over $1k and that was 20 years ago.

I just ate my lunch drifter, and your trying to make me lose it already? :mellow:

I too have a 2011 f150 fx4 - ecoboosted with the short box. I have had no problems at all with it. Gas mileage is great on the highway just So-so in town. When those turbo's kick in, it will throw your head back in the seat!

Rob C

Edited by Rob C

I too have a 2011 f150 fx4 - ecoboosted with the short box. I have had no problems at all with it. Gas mileage is great on the highway just So-so in town. When those turbo's kick in, it will throw your head back in the seat!

Rob C

What kind of mileage are you getting Rob?

About 18 mpg. That is when I first got it. I am going to be going on a trip with it soon and will see if it has improved. I have 17k on it right now and was told it will get better milage once it is over 15k. We'll see!, but it is a truck not a Nissan Leaf, I had a Windstar and it is better on gas than that!

Rob C

Edited by Rob C