Who's UP for Season Opener in Algonquin

mirogak

Even though this wasn't much of a winter in the GTA, I am slowly coming out of my hibernation and there is only one thing on my mind - April 28 at the Highlands.

Show of hands please - who is thinking of hitting Algonquin Park this Spring in search of the elusive God of Fish - Brooks?

Miro

Previously, I would get randomly selected vacation weeks at work, a few years ago I got the last week in April, and headed into the Park for a week of paddling/ fishing, I loved it and would recommend it to anyone who can go, a very cool time of the year to be outside and fishing

I'm fairly certain that with the lack of ice on Temagami this year you'll be able to do a late April paddle/power boat to Brookie land with numerous places to camp. Ice out is usually early May... but I don't think it will hold out this year. Was gonna go up again next week, but not with +10 temps most days..

I'm tentatively planning a short trip to Algonquin in early May.

It's a fantastic time to be in the bush, a true harbinger of spring and the first real test of winter weary muscles. Nothing like it I agree.

I've been neglecting my favourite fish for far too long anyway, so this will be the year of the brook trout for me.

I'll be fishing the Dusey river north of Nakina for a week in early June, then in late August a 12 day float trip down the Sutton river to Hudsons Bay.

Living on the Barron Canyon Rd, opening wknd is always an anxiously awaited tradition after the winter (that and the Quebec opener!) Usually it is touch and go as to whether or not the ice will be out, but this yr it seems there will be no question. I am currently in Curacao and not back for a couple weeks, but the weather reports seem very warm at home and friends that I have been in touch with say that it has been mild as well. When we left in Feb mind you, it was very much winter on the east side of the park. I will be interested to get home and check it out for myself and of course start to get my speckled gear ready!

It's a fantastic time to be in the bush, a true harbinger of spring and the first real test of winter weary muscles. Nothing like it I agree.

I've been neglecting my favourite fish for far too long anyway, so this will be the year of the brook trout for me.

I'll be fishing the Dusey river north of Nakina for a week in early June, then in late August a 12 day float trip down the Sutton river to Hudsons Bay.

Sutton you lucky dog Im jealous. Gooing to have to do some research on the Dusey.

Sheesh! Stop braggin', will ya!!

I have to agree , there is no better time of the year to be in the backcountry of this province (September is a very close second) I have a trip planned

to a mighty fine lake trout lake for the begining of May.Plan away everyone :thumbsup_anim:

I won't be in Algonquin for opener for the first time in 4 years. I'm going back to my former opener spot to try and beat my P.B. below. I gave Algonquin a fair chance to beat it in a lake with an average size of 2lbs but couldn't manage anything over 4lbs. I'm looking for a 7lber this year!

Can't wait!

img019 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

that is typically my "ice out" weekend... nothing finer than catching brookies up tight in the trees casting small spinners.

no algonquin for me though.. i've got my own version of "the park" and it's much closer! hahaha

No trip for me this year...We keep having spring babies, haha this one due April 7th.

I plan to be up your (Dr. S) way this summer for a week and am hoping to do some trout fishing in between visiting family.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I plan to be up your (Dr. S) way this summer for a week and am hoping to do some trout fishing in between visiting family.

If you need a canoe partner fire me a PM... :whistling:

Hell, that offer goes to the rest of you too! All I need is an excuse and day or two notice to smooth it over with "the Boss"...

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

If you need a canoe partner fire me a PM... :whistling:

Hell, that offer goes to the rest of you too! All I need is an excuse and day or two notice to smooth it over with "the Boss"...

Right on, thanks. I will definitely let you know. I spent most of summers in the Soo as a kid but have not a chance to fish up that way in years.

the Dusey eh? that sounds awesome, is it a decent river? Are you paddling out to the Albany? The book I have says locals say the Dusey downstream of Dusey Lake is haunted (if you're into that kinda stuff)