Who's UP for Season Opener in Algonquin

mirogak

Sounds like GoPro action ... Good luck.

Nah, my Canon 60D and some really nice glass a buddy is letting me borrow :) This water is going to be very tea stained, not ideal for any underwater action.

So how was your trip? Trout pix?

Hey Knuguy,

Got to AP at 11:30pm Friday night and what was interesting is as I was driving up, the temp was dropping by a degree every 20minutes of driving...

Anyhow, very cool Friday night/Sat morning (-10 or -11) and the following day hit a brookie lake with a 1 hr portage with a (novice) buddy of mine. Within 10 paddles I saw splashes near the shore but long story short, my buddy couldn't position the canoe properly, didn't know the JStroke, banging the paddle against the canoe, and worst of all he was trying to work the shoreline too. Spooked any fish that were there. Came back to the same spot the next day but it was too sunny and windy - no action. That same day then decided to hit the Oxtongue river but it was pretty high, no chance of wading it. Got disappointed and came back a day early than I wanted to.

But came back with experience and some lessons learned. Either go alone or go with someone who knows what they are doing. I will be hitting AP one more time this spring and hope to share some trout pix with you all then.

This is all I got for pix:

Haha - this is that Friday night/Sat morning I was talking about. I had to abort the tent and get to the car but didn't help. Froze my #$ off. Woke up every 2 hours to take a leak ... damn.

562629_10150813232991077_538581076_11849171_282102091_n.jpg

458063_10150813247921077_538581076_11849215_858719388_o.jpg

522490_10150813247301077_538581076_11849212_329795585_n.jpg

Edited by letsgofishing

Sorry it didn't go as planned Miro.

Small tip: When it's that cold outside consider using some kind of "truckers bottle" in the tent rather than crawling out into that brutal cold.

I have a small widemouth nalgene that I use for just such emergencies. (note the use of the word "widemouth" :D ). Even a large zip lock works great.

Too bad about your luck, I'm sure you'll do better next time.

Hey Knuguy,

Got to AP at 11:30pm Friday night and what was interesting is as I was driving up, the temp was dropping by a degree every 20minutes of driving...

Anyhow, very cool Friday night/Sat morning (-10 or -11) and the following day hit a brookie lake with a 1 hr portage with a (novice) buddy of mine. Within 10 paddles I saw splashes near the shore but long story short, my buddy couldn't position the canoe properly, didn't know the JStroke, banging the paddle against the canoe, and worst of all he was trying to work the shoreline too. Spooked any fish that were there. Came back to the same spot the next day but it was too sunny and windy - no action. That same day then decided to hit the Oxtongue river but it was pretty high, no chance of wading it. Got disappointed and came back a day early than I wanted to.

But came back with experience and some lessons learned. Either go alone or go with someone who knows what they are doing. I will be hitting AP one more time this spring and hope to share some trout pix with you all then.

This is all I got for pix:

As I sit here in office and going over this post I just left, a thought hit me ... "I never worked this hard even to get girls when I was younger" ... strange isn't it.

Edited by letsgofishing

Sorry it didn't go as planned Miro.

Small tip: When it's that cold outside consider using some kind of "truckers bottle" in the tent rather than crawling out into that brutal cold.

I have a small widemouth nalgene that I use for just such emergencies. (note the use of the word "widemouth" :D ). Even a large zip lock works great.

Too bad about your luck, I'm sure you'll do better next time.

Lol @ widemouth ... hahahah

Okay thanks for the tip - I will definitely keep that in mind. Like I said, came away with experience.

Miro

As I sit here in office and going over this post I just left, a thought hit me ... "I never worked this hard even to get girls when I was younger" ... strange isn't it.

Personally I didn't pursue girls at all when I was younger. Was always too busy fishing or paddling.

For me at least females just got in the way of what I really wanted to do.

I had the occasional girl pursue me...but I put zero effort into it until I reached the age of 32. :)

Personally I didn't pursue girls at all when I was younger. Was always too busy fishing or paddling.

For me at least females just got in the way of what I really wanted to do.

I had the occasional girl pursue me...but I put zero effort into it until I reached the age of 32. :)

Umm is that how you got the solopaddler name? jk... :)

Umm is that how you got the solopaddler name? jk... :)

All jokes aside, yes. I more or less spent the ages of 19-32 paddling solo all over NW Ontario.

I worked nothing but crappy jobs just long enough to finance my next expedition. Many years I was in the bush from May 'till September...

All jokes aside, yes. I more or less spent the ages of 19-32 paddling solo all over NW Ontario.

I worked nothing but crappy jobs just long enough to finance my next expedition. Many years I was in the bush from May 'till September...

At that age and with all that time in the bush I'm surprised that even a moose would start to look good!laugh.gif

At that age and with all that time in the bush I'm surprised that even a moose would start to look good!laugh.gif

It's funny you say that Harold. I remember times when oddly shaped pieces of driftwood were strangely attractive LOL!

I remember one time I was on the Albany River about to ascend the Attwood River when I ran into a group of natives from Fort Hope fishing out of 3 Lund boats.

In one of the boats was the chief of Fort Hope and his wife.

What I found ironically funny, the chief was aghast when I told him I was on day 47 of a 65 day solo trip. "I'd never do something like that, you're crazy!"

They were quite gracious though, offering to share there food with me as they were about to cook up some pork chops for dinner.

I politely declined but said if they happened to have a 19 year old blonde nympho in the bottom of their boat I'd take one.

Well I guess I tickled their funny bones. I set up camp about a km away and for the next 11/2 hours they'd spontaneously burst into hysterical laughter about every 15 minutes. :lol:

In all seriousness there were very very few times on any of those lengthy solo expeditions where I actually felt lonely.

I've felt much more alone in the city surrounded by mass humanity.