Temagami - February 2012

irishfield

Looks like a great get together with the lads. That's quite the Laker Wayne, either it was very aggressive or you're maybe getting old and slow on the hooksets if it had time to eat both your lures laugh.gif

Great pictures everyone good.gif

Some nice hog lakers in that report. Looks like it was fun.

Andy with a little crotch cover

hahaha! That's not what Andy calls them.

Thanks for the report and pics.

I had never heard them called that before...but everyone knew what he was talking about.....LOL

Looks like a great get together with the lads. That's quite the Laker Wayne, either it was very aggressive or you're maybe getting old and slow on the hooksets if it had time to eat both your lures laugh.gif

Great pictures everyone good.gif

I set the hook as soon as he grabbed it Tony and probably even before as I yanked when the lines crossed on the finder! Considering he spooled me over 10 times.. he had no problem going up and grabbing the spoon that was only 5 feet up from my jig! Was over 25 minutes getting that fella in...

Thanks everyone for the comments.. we never have fun up there Spiel.. you know that!! lol

Edited by irishfield

1/8th ounce jig with a little white grub on Bill. Not that it really matters. When the big ones swim though, out of nowhere, they always seem to be just grabbing "food". It grabbed my jig... then went and grabbed my williams 5 or 6 feet above it. Other years it's been my big musky tube or a tiny bait. I think they just swim around with their yaps open inhaling anything they can find.

Weather.. although Lloyd loved it, I and the sleds hated it. Too many days near or above zero making you sweat, get the chills etc. Give me -10 to -15C anytime when bundled and running, drilling, etc. Didn't miss the usual morning -32C temps for this period of February though... :whistling:

1/8th ounce jig with a little white grub on Bill. Not that it really matters. When the big ones swim though, out of nowhere, they always seem to be just grabbing "food". It grabbed my jig... then went and grabbed my williams 5 or 6 feet above it. Other years it's been my big musky tube or a tiny bait. I think they just swim around with their yaps open inhaling anything they can find.

I must be fishing the wrong spots for lakers haha.

Great report Wayne, sounds like it was good time for all.

I must be fishing the wrong spots for lakers haha.

Great report Wayne, sounds like it was good time for all.

The "bottom dwellers" are finicky as hell. You can get them to follow, but it takes a long time to find the right bait to get a strike. The big cruisers.. 9 times out of 10 when they light up your screen they already have your bait lined up with their mouth.. no matter what you have on!

Well next year I'm gonna give this some more thought and maybe see a shrink as well... while I was up freezing my nads with the lads.. Leah was off doing this visiting her cousin in Marsh Harbour Bahamas. Triple header. A strawberry Grouper.. a Heinz and a shrimp! I could have been deep sea fishing every day..... for free! :wallbash:

Edited by irishfield

Thanks Wayne for inviting me up.

It was an amazing trip with a great group. My first laker through the ICE was a big plus :thumbsup_anim:

Again LLoyd put on a fish clinic, :worthy: can't say enough about how much Lloyd knows about fishing and catching fish.

ICEfishing2012011Medium.jpg

And the storm that was not suppose to happen.

ICEfishing2012028Medium.jpg

ICEfishing2012013Medium.jpg

The day after the storm.. freezing temperatures and not a sole around.. Ok us and 2 fellows who dropped by to say hi :whistling:

ICEfishing2012035Medium.jpg

The day after the storm.. freezing temperatures and not a sole around.. Ok us and 2 fellows who dropped by to say hi :whistling:

Yah one tard with a ticket book and his young fella that booked a charter with Lloyd! LOL $110 bucks for moving 50 feet without a helmut on! :wallbash:

You were a great addition to the expedition Paul. Welcome any time!!

Edited by irishfield

Thanks to Wayne for the invites year after year. It was my pleasure to finally get the chance to join he and the lads up on Temagami.

It's true Wayne did a Bravo repair. Those snowmobiles are most times indestructible but, after summer storage this year the fuel primer was crappin' out and later finally jammed up after a wet day run went real cold and it must have frozen up then broke. This actually ended up causing extra gas through to the carb and running the sled rich. There were times when riding the Bravo must have been overheating and wanted to shut down. Telling Wayne about it, his curiosity got the better of him and he soon back at the cottage had the primer disconnected and repaired with a new part (rubber washer for the faucet) he had around his place. It was awesome... Just one of those many things Wayne does which makes him so cool. Nicely done bud! With the primer repaired, the snowmobile of course was back to starting with 1 or 2 pulls as opposed to 10-20, and it didn't run rich anymore. Next year I'll be sure to get it a tune-up cause it hasn't had one in a few years. Chain case & carbs cleaning, maybe new carbides and sliders. Love the Bravo, although after about 250-300 miles put on it in a little over a week, my back was a knotted up and tired mess when getting home. The snowmobiling in the Near North is ridiculously awesome!

Great meeting Lloyd, Terry, Paul and Andy. Four guys who LOVE to fish and laugh.

My 3 full days fishing there was kind of tough. Excluding the short afternoon Day 1... when showing up and nabbing one little laker on a set line, Day 2 I marked two fish all day despite moving a dozen times and hand drilling two dozen holes. It had been a slow day for all with different weather fronts coming through all day. Day 3 I lost two fish in a promising area which a few years ago I found and vowed to return to "IF" ever visiting Temagami again. Overall, it was an OK day for everyone, until making the mistake of leaving fish to find different fish in a nearby backlake. Day 4 the lads took us newbies to a new area where I picked up 4 lakers in the morning then later that day after moving through the snowstorm picked up two more closer to home. Temagami has always been a very tough lake to fish for me, this year was no different, yet knowing that fish like Wayne's and Lloyd's could be caught at any time, it keeps ya pushing to find those big lakers.

Lloyd and Andy surely know their stuff. I appreciated Andy's short time demonstrating some whitey tactics I now have to get out and try at some point. Lloyd be an ole Ottawa valley boy, it was great talking about haunts and fishing around home here. Best laugh I had... well, ya had to be there, but it was after Terry said something nutty about beer taps on the dashboard and Wayne just piped up with a "HE WINS."

This winter fishing had been limited but I've mostly stuck to lakers so far with some different levels of success on some very different waters. For the time, I'm loving when these fish are active and just lay such quick and reckless chase to pretty much any baits offered. When the crazy work schedule settles down I'll hope to pop up a short winter laker fishing report.