Why are plastics so expensive?

Big Cliff

Route 20? With all the stop lights? Sure, take it if you want to triple your commute time, lol.

Stop lights.....what stop lights ? ? ? once you get east of Alden, NY you will be hard to find a "stop light"....but it will still take you longer as you cannot go 100 mph on Rt. 20

Well ya could.....but the stray cows in the middle of the road could have an impact on that decision :)

Actually if you take Rt.20 east or west you get to see a LOT more of NYS then what the Thruways shows you....especially going east, you go through the Finger Lakes Region, pass by BPS in Auburn and so on....in 2006 I had to take Rt. 20 to get to my son's college football game and got to see millions of pumpkins growing on the south side of Rt. 20...just like you see miles and mile of corn growing but this time they had miles of orange pumpkins growing....I had never seen that many pumpkins in my life...

If you're in no hurry Rt. 20 is a nice way to travel as long as you watch out for all those cows Blaque is talking about.... :D

You want to know why plastics are so expensive? Because people want to pay that much, plain and simple.

If a tackle company puts out a bag of rubber worms for $2, the first thing that jumps into Joe Consumer's mind is "Whoa, that's cheap. They must not be any good."

Put the identical rubber worms into a different bag and price it at $12.99 and the same guy thinks "Whoa, that's expensive! They must be awesome!"

It's Marketing 101 at is most basic.

Back in the 70's the Garcia company made several series of fishing rods, all differentiated by colour. There was the cheap Blue series, the more upscale Green series, the expensive Brown series, and the top-of-he-line Black series. No one bought the chap Blue rods ($12 - $15), and everyone coveted the high-end Brown rods ($50 - $75) and the uber-expensive Black ones ($75+). Guess what? The only thing different was the dye colour. Hardware, handles, blank, everything else was identical. I saw it myself when I toured the plant. They couldn't sell enough of the Brown rods and Black rods, because people assumed they just had to be better because they were way more expensive.

Bait companies have figured this out too, and that's why you pay $8 for a bag of plastic baits that are realistically worth 25 cents.

Same with the wine industry Craig. It is sure death for a well respected winery to put out a bottle at 7 bucks because everyone will think they are making cheap wine. Put it out for 30 bucks a bottle and you create your reputation.

Anyone try the plastics from eBay?you can get 10 packs of 10 senko style worms in any colour for cheap.

Any word on quality? Some sellers have bulk quantities of other plastics too

Any personal insight?

I saw this somewhere one time and really liked it. Hopefully I remember it right.

"Sometimes the excitement of a good deal is quickly lost to the disapointment of poor quality."

I saw this somewhere one time and really liked it. Hopefully I remember it right.

"Sometimes the excitement of a good deal is quickly lost to the disapointment of poor quality."

hahaha hopefully they're the same as the expensive ones =P. How're the fish going to tell the difference. It's shaped like a critter and it jitters. unless they smell of human or gasoline, LOL

Same with the wine industry Craig. It is sure death for a well respected winery to put out a bottle at 7 bucks because everyone will think they are making cheap wine. Put it out for 30 bucks a bottle and you create your reputation.

Being a wine drinker. I would 100% agree with you on this. I have sampled...not bought...some god awful $30-$40 dollar a bottle wines. I would put my home made wine up against some of them and it costs me less then $4 a bottle to make. But I will also freely admit that my homemade wine isn't really high end stuff...just comparable to some wines out there that people are really getting hosed on.

Being a wine drinker. I would 100% agree with you on this. I have sampled...not bought...some god awful $30-$40 dollar a bottle wines. I would put my home made wine up against some of them and it costs me less then $4 a bottle to make. But I will also freely admit that my homemade wine isn't really high end stuff...just comparable to some wines out there that people are really getting hosed on.

As a bit of a wino myself, I completely agree. I've had some really awful wine that was VERY expensive, and some really incredible wines that were quite cheap. One of the best was a home-made Port one of my wife's friends made.

With wine, part of the pricing is supply and demand. The quality of any wine is partly dependent on what the weather was like when the grapes were grown, which is why some vintages (years) are more valuable than others. 2010 was an amazing year for reds in Ontario, and especially in Niagara. If you want the steal of a lifetime, go to any LCBO right now and buy 2010 Niagara reds, and just hide them away in your basement for a couple of years. Right now they're $15 a bottle because there's all kinds of it around. Five years from now, you won't be able to buy it for 10 times that price (to be honest I wouldn't drink it today, as it's still too young and harsh. But lay it on its side for 5 to 10 years and it's going to be mind-blowing).

2007 was also a great year for Niagara reds. We bought up all we could find for about $12 - $15 a bottle when it came out. Now, it's $60 a bottle for the same stuff. There's just less of it around.

An omnipresent marketing strategy, thanks for pointing it out Craig. I used to do this when I sold my class notes in university. BTW I like your blog, read the post about the vintage reels.

Thanks! No way would I pay that much for a Cardinal 3, but that's just me. I buy tackle to use, not to look at.

My buddy...the little old wine maker Steve...whistling.gif

Where were you 40 years ago when I needed you ???