Any Opinions On Toyota Highlander Hybrid Vehicles?

solopaddler

What is the battery life? Even with moderate use the batteries age and lose the ability to hold a charge over the course of 5 years. New ones could be very expensive but then again since it's a Toyota the quality is excellent..

Highlanders aren't known for their mileage, even the hybrids :)

Other then that you're getting a bulletproof drivetrain, proven reliability, etc.. Very capable offroad as well (Depending on the options it's got)

Edited by BillM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My only concern with this vehicle is possible replacement of the batteries. I'm just not sure if that will be an issue or not. If it is it's expensive.

Under normal circumstances I'd go with a gas vehicle every time. I'm looking at this one solely because the price is so ridiculously cheap I can't afford not to. No way would I ever pay normal market value for a hybrid.

On a side note it seems everything's going to hell in a handbasket lately.

Since we've been back from Cuba my washing machine died, my furnace is not functioning properly and needs repairs, the new water heater started leaking, both computers in the house are fubar, and to top it off our car is dying (hence the search).

I kid you not every day it's been something else. LOL!

Bottom line Mike is that I would buy one if the price was as good as you say it is. It's a solid ride. The only thing I'd be concerned about is getting stuck in sand or snow and having to get towed out by a Volkswagen. :) Now that would burn me.

Bottom line Mike is that I would buy one if the price was as good as you say it is. It's a solid ride. The only thing I'd be concerned about is getting stuck in sand or snow and having to get towed out by a Volkswagen. :) Now that would burn me.

That and the $8K cost for replacing the batteries when the time comes. :whistling:

I'm not sold on the hybrids yet.. The only advantage is city ( low speed) driving.. On the highway the electric stuff is not used, if it is, it's helping the gas engine.. So mileage is not really helped compaired to a straight gas version.. Also, when considering the extra cost for maintaining the cyberspace - that alone can buy a lot of gas. If your doing a lot of city driving and keeping the vehicle short term - go for it.. If your doing a lot of highway and plan on driving it in the ground, it will never pay off.

Good advice above by GYPSY400 and John. I would go VW Taureg TDI or Cherokee CRD if I were you Mike. I have personally driven and towed my boat with the Taureg TDI and it is amazing. I did not even feel the boat on the back, whereas with my 4Runner I know damn well its there. My brother went on a road trip to Florida in the Taureg TDI and averaged 11L/100km driving 120+ish almost the whole way. Mercedes makes the engine that is in the Cherokee CRD, enough said. If you decide to get a Toyota, make sure you don't take it to Red Hill Toyota for anything other than an oil change as they have tried to screw me around. Miraculously, every single bolt "seized" on my 4Runner when they went to change my timing belt and water pump. Lets just say they were quick to reverse the 6 additional hours of labour they tried to charge me. I wont even get into inexperienced "mechanics" not being able to diagnose a problem. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks lads once again your input is appreciated.

Personally Mike, I'm not a hybrid fan. They don't make sense either economically or eco-friendly wise. I would go diesel in a heartbeat if economy from a larger vehicle is the goal.

I'm not necessarily a hybrid fan either. The only goal I have is finding a cheap set of wheels LOL!

If you decide to get a Toyota, make sure you don't take it to Red Hill Toyota for anything other than an oil change as they have tried to screw me around. Miraculously, every single bolt "seized" on my 4Runner when they went to change my timing belt and water pump. Lets just say they were quick to reverse the 6 additional hours of labour they tried to charge me. I wont even get into inexperienced "mechanics" not being able to diagnose a problem. Good luck with your purchase.

No need to warn me about Red Hill. A while back I had a small 4X4 Toyota pickup and made the mistake of getting it serviced there.

Let's just say my experience was similar to yours.

Without getting into the details, they were refusing to own up to their shennanigans and would do nothing further for me....until I walked into their service dept which happened to be filled with customers and started asking them why in a VERY loud voice LOL!

Hybrid Battery life is around 5 years... which is where you are with the vehicle right now...

you don't want to know what it would cost to change it...

As for the Highlander... My brother while working up in the oil sands in alberta raved about it...

said it had the least amount of problems out of all the site vehicles... these were abused day in day out in extreme conditions

and the highlander stood their ground he says

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My only concern with this vehicle is possible replacement of the batteries. I'm just not sure if that will be an issue or not. If it is it's expensive.

Under normal circumstances I'd go with a gas vehicle every time. I'm looking at this one solely because the price is so ridiculously cheap I can't afford not to. No way would I ever pay normal market value for a hybrid.

On a side note it seems everything's going to hell in a handbasket lately.

Since we've been back from Cuba my washing machine died, my furnace is not functioning properly and needs repairs, the new water heater started leaking, both computers in the house are fubar, and to top it off our car is dying (hence the search).

I kid you not every day it's been something else. LOL!

Mike there are owners with 12 and 13 year old Toyota Prius the still have the original batteries.