Was I out of line?

mike rousseau

Well...

Had a buddy going through tough times this year... So I kinda took it easier on him with gas money for fishing... Then this fall... I was pretty much getting nothing... Then 4 trips on ice with literally nothing...

This is a buddy I took out at least once a week... Got his pb walleye and musky this year...

I know he was in a tight place with money cause he wasn't working... But he lives at home with his parents...

I'm not working...I have a house... And a baby... And truck payments...

So he ended up leaving a musky combo at my house this fall...

And after avoiding my calls for a month trying to get my money... He calls looking to come get the musky combo...

I said no dice...

I'm selling it to pay for all the gas from this year...

And he gets mad like I'm the bad guy...

And worst of all I kept reading posts on Facebook about him buying his girlfriend flowers and getting drunk... It's annoying when someone can't/won't pay gas money but buys beer and flowers...

Anyways... I think what I did was called for...

Do you?

By the way... From now on its gunna be cash up front for gas money... And the guest is paying for more then half from now on...

I think it depends on whether he said he would make good or not. Regardless, I'd be inclined to give him back his gear and be done with him. You don't need friends like this in your life Mike. Moochers aren't worth the effort so move on and don't look back.

I also think you have to be more discriminating on who gets a ride on the water, this *should* prevent this from happening again.

Edited by woodenboater

No pity for those who piss away money then try to eke out freebies from friends. I probably wouldn't have sold his gear; that's a bold move on your part and kind of makes me laugh. Good on you for having a spine. Be prepared to lose a friend though..some people, especially the selfish ones can't handle back-lash.

I had a buddy sit on my new ice rod last year and break it. This guy makes tonnes of cash and spends on the stupidest things, and I was down $30 due to his drunkedness. He completely ignored my request for pay back until one day in public I said "you shouldn't be sitting on other guy's rods". He paid me that night.laugh.gif

If you were looking to get paid and he wasn't ponying up I would have cut my losses and stop taking him before it got too out of hand. After two trips of nothing I would have cut the guy loose...when he calls to find out why just be honest...fishing is expensive and you have a few people who help you cover the costs. If he wants to fish again he'll do the same! As far as "more than half" this is actually reasonable in my opinion but not easy to enforce. After all, you pay the insurance, tune-ups, new tires etc etc for the boat/trailer...its just hard to ask for more than half. Usually I go half half with people, but then let them buy me a coffee and bagel when we stop. The odd coffee/bagel is nowhere near my cost for operating the boat and keeping it on the road, but its better than nothing

I'd give the guy his gear back and be done with it. Some folks don't realize the costs of boat ownership its not much to request to spilt fuel and buy coffee etc. Its too bad that you have to request it in the first place it should be offered every time....even if you decline to take money.

"well you are going anyways" does not cut it. But clearly some don't see this as a financial priority.

Hi Mike,

It's always a little tricky when friends but especially good friends are involved when it comes to money. I think most of us on the board have a friend or know of someone who does that matches your buddy.

Whether your actions was called for or not depends on the lens in which you see the situation so I will not comment on that.

What I will say to you is good friends are hard to come by. You will have to decide if this situation is worth tainting the friendship. It seems like you fish with this buddy often so the company he keeps isnt so bad I suspect. However, given that he hasnt returned your phone calls in over a month and then only calls you when he wants his equipment back - one has to question how he sees your friendship.

Personally, I think you should give him his equipment back and be firm again with how you cant continue to support him financially on fishing trips. Selling his equipment and the cash you receive from it will never make you forget what happened. If your friend responds immaturely and without a sense of understanding of your point - then I dont think he's worth your time of day.

-Sawyer

The deal breaker was that he went ice fishing 4 days straight... I paid gas and bait all 4 days... He said he'd have my money the last night of the four days... Then he dodged me for a month...

The biggest reason I'm keeping the combo is because he wants to sell it to buy a vexilar... Not pay me back!!!

tight spot, if all you said was true you are in the right, hope your good deeds help you with good karma. Just a suggestion, you have helped this guy out with the gas and friendship, and the fishing. Give him his tackle back, it is only money. Everything in life happens for a reason, you seem like a good guy, be true to yourself. If your asking this question it is to relieve some guilt. I would not blame you if you did keep his stuff. You got stiffed. But If you were really worried about the money, you would not have taken him the 4 times, you would have stopped after the first. Mabey he did not know how you felt till you held on to his equipment or mabey he figured you were going anyway. We all make mistakes, somthing good will come from giving his combo back, trust me. Good friends are rare, this guy seems like a good friend that goofed up. For the original question (was I out of line) the answer is no. I am just trying help you reason with the crappy situation. I hope you find work, if you are looking, If it just about the money talk to the guy he might surprise you. I have some rods that have a ton of setamental and superstisious value to them, it just seem wrong to me. good luck and try no to let this fester I have seen good thing go so bad over a couple hundred dollars. seems silly after the fact. Just so you know I am in dept and put my workboats on one foot at a time every day because I have to. Just so you know where this is coming from.

Mike like others have said I would give this scum his rod back and be done with him also. I have had to do that in the past.

As for charging more then half the gas there is nothing wrong with that at all I would think it depends on who is going out with you but who sais it has to be half or more are they making you go to the pump NO so let them know what you would like ahead of time that way its out there or let them know what you use for gas in a day if its $30 then say $45 if ya want a bit more that way they understand ahead of time. Most guys who own boats know there is alot more to a boat then just gas.

The ones who piss me off are the ones who never offer but always want to come out fishing. I dont usually charge for gas but 85-90% offer it. If its a buddy that you will fish with at different times in there boat I dont take the cash. Others come down here in there little car and save to towing gas and big gas price from there trucks and toss me $20 or so I always feel bad for taking it but do it to show respect for there friendship and there understanding that it costs a bunch to run the boat.

Heck with oil at $50 a gallon it sure is not cheap.

Either way ya dont need people like that in your life from what I can see from all your posts your better then he is take the high road IT SUCKS BUT YOU WILL FEEL BETTER WHEN YOU GO TO SLEEP AT NIGHT

Hold it it here! Did he leave his walleye and musky gear for you to sale in trade for gas? No assumptions here, yes or no! Either way give him his equipment back and take your loses and move on much wiser. Never have any dealings with him again, never again!

Remember there are friends and acquaintances.

In the past I've done the same with a Weatherby 300 Mag rifle ...my Bud who owed me 2k ( boat loan) realized he had burned a bridge .... He apologized and we are good friends again , he pays up front now if we do something together.... Hard lesson learned for both of you .... Kudos

So how much for the combo? Is left hand retrieve?

Randy

:)

maybe I am not getting it or I read it wrong

but you said here you took it easy on him

well if that means he said "what do you want for gas" and you said 5 bucks or maybe nothing or maybe you said don't worry about it..then you stole his combo..give it back

but if you said "you know we agreed to split the cost and I know you are hurting so I will let you ride for a short time ,then you have to pony up what you owe me"... then the combo is yours

but if you did not make yourself clear, then who is the bad guy

again I don't know, I am posing a questions not stating facts here

In the past I've done the same with a Weatherby 300 Mag rifle ...my Bud who owed me 2k ( boat loan) realized he had burned a bridge .... He apologized and we are good friends again , he pays up front now if we do something together.... Hard lesson learned for both of you .... Kudos

So how much for the combo? Is it left hand retrieve?

Randy

:)

He said he'd have my money the last night of the four days.

that's some key information that was initially missing. At first I thought your move was quite drastic, now I understand it better. Either way, still probably not worth it. I say drop off the rod at his house, and see if he man's up and tracks you down to repay you. If he doesn't he's not worth your friendship imo