Was I out of line?

mike rousseau

If I call somebody to come fishing with me I expect nothing from him and won't accept anything.

If somebody calls me to go fishing with him I offer but they usually don't accept it.

But if he calls to go fishing with me then we split. I leave with full tanks in truck and boat and when we come back we top up everything and split the cost.

id give his musky combo back...shake his hand...and be the better man!!!

afterall its only money!!!

X2. Life is to short, get over it. I just wouldn't ask him to go fishing anymore. Case closed. No sense in creating a enemy.

I'm sitting here at 5:00 AM reading this post and the question that keeps coming to mind is why are these people going fishing all the time when they have no jobs and no money :dunno:

Hang up the fishing poles boys and go find a job and start earning money to support your selves.

If I didn't have a job or the money to live properly, the last thing I'd be thinking about would be fishing.

Different story if we go away for a few days and there's hotel & restaurant bills to pay, but just for a day, the gas is on me. But it's the same when I fish outta their boat, I don't offer them money for gas either.

As for the guys fishing pole, give it back to him, but that's just me.

I was thinking the same Lew. I have a friend that has a disability that doesn't have much and it pleasure's me to take him fishing just to have him there for company. Does the heart good. I won't take anything from him. One day he surprised me and built me a rod rack out of solid Oak that holds about 30 rods with my name engraved in the wood.(Tear in my eye) Sometimes good happens to others, that do good! But most of my Buddy's know how much it costs to go fishing and help out on the gas. If the guy wasn't that flush that day don't worry, it will come out in the wash. :good:

Maybe thats just me.

If I'm driving then I'm going anyway. Why would I ask for gas money? I have made the decision to go fishing and someone else coming is not going to add to my gas expense.

The rule we follow is one guy drives the other pays for the coffee's. It all evens out.

It sounds to me like your broke so you ask people to tag along just to help pay for your addiction. Not trying to start anything here. That's just how it seems to me after reading all this.

Like others have said...I believe mothballing the rods and looking for a job would be a far better activity to spend your time on.

Even thinking of stealing a buddies gear to make things right? Houston we have a problem.

i cant get over how many people fully finance their friends hobby...

this thread is at the point where people arent reading ALL the previous posts...

your just getting bits and pieces...

i said fishing has paid for itself this year and im still getting pooped on for fishing on a tight budget...

as far as finding a job... i lost my job the week my son was born and decided to make the best of the situation and use my parental leave/EI... im getting more on EI then most of the jobs would have paid me... so i do have income... however i went from a high paying job to EI so extra money is tighter... but bills are being payed... wedding is being paid for... theres food on my table... fiance has a good job...

im not using people to pay for my addiction...

but i dont think its right i should foot the bill for 2-3 of my friends to fish all year in my boat...

As for taking money for gas, over the last 10 years I've had about 65 DIFFERENT guys & gals from this board in my boat for a day of fishing and I would NEVER accept money from any of them.

Different story if we go away for a few days and there's hotel & restaurant bills to pay, but just for a day, the gas is on me. But it's the same when I fish outta their boat, I don't offer them money for gas either.

I pretty much operate the same way Lew,

most of my fishing buds have their owns boats, so its often agreed we just trade local trips with each other for the most part, and costs are shared if there's distance our additional expenses involved (ex: tournaments, longer road trips, ect..)

I try to make a point of returning the trip in my boat in a timely manner when practical/possible.

If I am taking "newbies" or boatless buds out, the first trip is often "on the house" as I love introducing the sport to to others.

I once herd that you cant fill the tanks up with "thank you's and Timmies"

If I am taking "newbies" out, the first trip is often "on the house" as I love introducing the sport to to others.

I once herd that you cant fill the tanks up with "thank you's and Timmies"

first ones always free for a buddy...

and i love when someone offers to buy breakfast or lunch or beers in exchange for gas.... really rounds out the day nicely...

Can something be repo'd that has already been paid for?

IE - Can you take my blue Leisure Suit with the nice ruffles because I never paid you for the 2 Disco Balls in my bedroom or can you only go after my balls?

rofl2.gif

You owe me a new keyboard !!! I know i should never read your posts before swallowingblink.gif

EI is to help make ends meet after a layoff while you search for another job. EI parental leave is to help make ends meet while you spent the first year with your child after birth. Going fishing 3 or 4 times a week is neither.

I don't mean to be rude but you are asking us for reassurance on your decision to repo a fishing rod combo to offset a perceived debt. In doing so you have revealed information that is making people question other aspects of this ordeal. You are starting to get a bit snarky with those that are not offering you the reassurance you are looking for. You financed your buddy's fishing.The Governmemt of Canada financed yours.

If I was your wife I would choke you. I have a 2 1/2 year old son and have been keeping my wife at home with the kid. For the last little bit I have been paying for part time pre school so he has more time spent with kids his age. I have a big ole boat and a garage full of fishing rods but haven't gone out in some time because I want to help my wife and spend as much time as possible around them. I couldn't imagine taking off on my wife every week-end to go fishing or sending her to work and go fishing if I was as you describe yourself as 'broke'. I guess you could tell everyone to mind there own business but you asked.

Was staying far far away from this , 6 hours in my boat 200+ in gas , lets go to the island/ontario place ... 300 there and back , lost tackle , broken rods , etc. stc. priceless ... BUT when I go out with CUSTOMERS i price the trip to MAKE A PROFIT , friends ride for free and if they want to chip in a little I dont like but will take ... YOU HAVE got to separate FRIENDS from CUSTOMERS >>> AND you brag my Guideing pays all my expensives , but YOU ALLSO say I NEED THIS money , one or the other ... Friends are friends CUSTOMERS are people WHO PAY >>> sorry should have stayed away

I wonder if people would be easier on Mike if the business he was starting didn't involve fishing? If he opened his own shop should his buddies be allowed free service? It's difficult because before Mike was just a guy who liked to fish but now he's trying to become a full time guide and can't just take all his friends fishing for free if he wants to be successful. I can't blame a guy for wanting to do what he loves for a living, and it's not like you can just sit around waiting for the phone to ring to be a guide. As long as his kid has a roof over her head, clothes on her back and food in her stomach I don't see a problem with it. As for what his fiancee thinks, that's between him and her. He isn't asking for relationship advice and maybe his fiancee pushed him to pursue this career choice. I know plenty of guys who started their own businesses (with varying success) and I never thought less of them for it.