For the car guys

danbouck

In the early 80's took off a valve cover put it on the bench,Turned back around and the slug build up made it look

like I never took the cover off.Oils have come along way since then.

Yeah, I saw a bunch of that back when I was in the auto repair business too.

It's sad to see people ignoring such basic maintenance on their vehicles.

Quaker State use to be the BEST :sarcasm: oil... for making that sludge!

Cam lobes all look good though... if they're carefull and wipe those smugs back off the faces. Othewise they won't look good for much longer!

Edited by irishfield

That is crazy, I wonder if the owner never does oil changes, or if they use the wrong oil (non-european synthetics) and still drive the manufacture recommended 20,000k intervals in between oil changes?

It is amazing that the people who buy these high end vehicles do not take care of them, or complain about the maintenance cost after they purchased them.

It is amazing that the people who buy these high end vehicles do not take care of them, or complain about the maintenance cost after they purchased them.

Stupid is what the stupid do.Doesn't madder high end or low end.This still happens.

Stupid is what the stupid do.Doesn't madder high end or low end.This still happens.

Agreed.

Working in the automotive business, (example) you see a guy who has driven a Jeep Cherokee for the last ten years, keeps up with his full maintenance schedule all those years then decides to spoil himself with a Beamer, Benz, Crossfire etc... and when he comes in for maintenance on his new vehicle for the first time all heck breaks loose as they never looked in the maintenance cost before purchasing, as you try explaining that the oil change is going to be over $100.00 due to the expense of the filter and required European synthetic oil that is recommended, they storm out of the shop saying they are off to the dealership, where the same oil change is about $250.00 so they get one oil change cause they don't feel like leaving another shop again (or sometimes they come back :) ), and that's it, vehicle is either getting sold or driven to the ground like the one in the pictures above.

Should of just stuck with that Jeep eh.

People could save a lot of $$$ if they just did it themselves..

With most domestic vehicles yes, you're right.

When it comes to European cars for instance, a 2010 Mercedes Benz E350, 3.5 Litre V6 requires 229.51 synthetic oil spec. which can range from $10.00 to $15.00 a single quart, add the fact that this benz will take 9 quarts to do the oil change yourself, so you are already at $90.00 in just oil, then you need a cartridge filter which can be from $10.00 to $25.00, so you're at $100.00 + tax and that was using the lowest prices if you get a discount or could find the oil and filter on sale for as cheap as I mentioned.

Then I hope you checked to see if you have a dipstick? a lot of European cars don't have dipsticks no more and require you to leave the car in auxiliary, play with the computer setting till the car reads your oil level, usually 10 minutes. Then you got to shut off that annoying oil change reminder light, which you probably don't have the tool for, so off to the shop to get hosed on that anyways because you didn't use that shop for an oil change add another $15.00 to $50.00, and then you're looking for a place to dispose of you're 9 quarts of used oil properly.

Domestic cars, way simpler $30.00 for quality virgin oil and filter (if your vehicle requires 5 bottles or less),they have dipsticks and usually just use the tripometer or gas pedal to reset light yourself, dispose of oil and voila! done.

Edited by Frank81

With most domestic vehicles yes, you're right.

When it comes to European cars for instance, a 2010 Mercedes Benz E350, 3.5 Litre V6 requires 229.51 synthetic oil spec. which can range from $10.00 to $15.00 a single quart, add the fact that this benz will take 9 quarts to do the oil change yourself, so you are already at $90.00 in just oil, then you need a cartridge filter which can be from $10.00 to $25.00, so you're at $100.00 + tax and that was using the lowest prices if you get a discount or could find the oil and filter on sale for as cheap as I mentioned.

Then I hope you checked to see if you have a dipstick? a lot of European cars don't have dipsticks no more and require you to leave the car in auxiliary, play with the computer setting till the car reads your oil level, usually 10 minutes. Then you got to shut off that annoying oil change reminder light, which you probably don't have the tool for, so off to the shop to get hosed on that anyways because you didn't use that shop for an oil change add another $15.00 to $50.00, and then you're looking for a place to dispose of you're 9 quarts of used oil properly.

Domestic cars, way simpler $30.00 for quality virgin oil and filter (if your vehicle requires 5 bottles or less),they have dipsticks and usually just use the tripometer or gas pedal to reset light yourself, dispose of oil and voila! done.

Luckily for me the VW's myself and my parents own actually have dipsticks :) Sure they require specific oil (VW507 for their '09 TDI, VW505.01 for my '05 TDI wagon)... Service intervals are reset with button combos on the cluster (neither car has a full MFA) and Crappy Tire happily accepts my used oil :)

I find it funny people buy higher end Euro cars then bugger and complain when it comes to maintenance! Still, a lot of it can be easily tackled buy your DIY'r.

I can do a TB job on my car for $350 in parts, dealer charges about $1200.. So I had to buy the correct tools ($100) and a license for VAGCOM ($99).. I'm still well ahead of the game.

Edited by BillM

Nice I see two cams and im guessing those black chunks of oil are the cam retainers or rockers? I cannot tell through the sludge.

My mechanic buddy took apart a car that ran quaker state as one of you guys mentioned, it was incredibly gummed up. I stay far away from that oil.

My 2010 TDI daily driver gets dealer oil changes, I priced it all out and it just wasnt worth the effort to do it myself and they usually do the recalls, wash it etc.

The summer car(s) I do it myself, nothing like being able to do a full synthetic oil change for under 30 bucks smile.gif I also wouldnt trust too many places since both the cars are from the 80's with engines from the 2000's.

Edited by Luke

that can also happen fromthe car never reaching proper temps. Back when I was doing automotive for a living I had a customer that did regular oil changes but the car only ever went about 4 blocks then shut off.He would walk out his door start the car put in drive and go then shut it off as soon as he was at work. I had to change valve cover gaskets on it and it was full of sludge like the pictures. after that I had the guy warm the car before heading out.

Maybe per litre, lol!!! I use Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 in the oldman LBZ. About $42 for 5L's at Wally World.

Use the oil from work.I figured that it keeps the 14L engines running I'll use it and it's free.

It's a lubico product,made in Hamilton.

The $7.83 is the price of the filter.

Back in high school, late 70's eary 80's I had a girl friend (believe it or not!!!) who's mom drove a 1968 VW Beetle. She drove it every day for 10 years and never changed the oil... EVER!!!!!

She took it to a machanic because it was not running well and after discovering that it had never had an oil change, he told her to drive it till it stopped... which if I recall correctly, was for another few years!

True story!

HH

Cars need to be run up to full operating temp and stay there for a while to prevent this sort of thing. Regular maintenance ie. oil changes should be done at the recommended intervals from the manufacturer, not the dealer who sometimes cuts them down to get you in there more often spending money unnecessarily. Also, with the new engines out there, you really have to pay attention to the correct type, quality and grade of oil. Jeez, before, you'd go to Cdn Tire, pick up a few liters of 10w30, a filter and you were good to go, now you have to make sure that it meets Ford spec564945846944 or Honda spec366454213654 etc..... These new engines can get sludge buildup really quick now if the maintenance schedule isn't followed.