Side hooks on Williams Ice-jig.

Eazy

Like i said i "get allot of stikes while its laying on the bottom". How can i snag a fish while the lure is not moving just curious?

Answer, they come into look at the lure, brush against the line, rod tip twitches.....set the hook, dang....fouled, it does happen, often.

A fish not caught in the mouth or very near the mouth is "snagged". It is possible to snag a fish unintentional. The fish is required to be released, whether is was snagged unintentional or not. "Snagging" or "snaggin'" is a term often used to describe when people are intentionally trying to snag fish.

Another note: Some other areas do allow snagging of some fish, or some fish at certain times.

Answer, they come into look at the lure, brush against the line, rod tip twitches.....set the hook, dang....fouled, it does happen, often.

I also suspect sometimes that hooks that are in the mouth come lose during the fight. Fish do "miss" the lure sometimes, at least the business end. I'm sure most of us have watched a fish strike at, and miss a crankbait over and over? Sometimes they get the trebles in the cheek.

Yep but explain this one. I had a tip up with a minnow on it. I was walking over to check it when the tip up goes down fast. Grab the line and start pulling, feels like a good fish. The fish comes up the hole and on the ice and I go to unhook it. The problem is that the fish in not hooked, instead it is lassoed around it's body once. :blink: I'm guessing it rolled and the hook popped out but caught the line and made the lasso around the body and the pectoral fins. When pulling the fish up I just noticed the line and figured it had swallowed the hook. What was strange was the fight felt like a normal hook up.

As for the side hooks, I leave them on and don't seem to have a problem with them. A snap on the spoon and swivel a couple of feet up. I've had whities with the spoons T-boned in the mouth and the side hooks is what got he fish. Might try tying direct as Aaron and Tony showed in the video that Aaron put up. That's if we get some decent ice to get out on. :angry:

I catch about 20 every year on the sidehooks on the INSIDE of the mouth..yes i get the occasional foul. What i think happens is the whitefish mouthes the lure as its laying on the bottom of the lake realizes its a hunk of metal down there not a baitfish and tries to spit it out but the oversized hooks catch on the way out. 8/10 times there hooked in the verry front of the mouth when i get a strike on the bottom..simalar idea to using circle hooks on catfish

Edited for spelling

Edited by Freshtrax

I catch about 20 every year on the sidehooks on the INSIDE of the mouth..yesi get the occasional foul. What i think happens is the whitefish mouthes the lure as its laying on the bottom of the lake realizes its a hunk of metal town there not a baitfish tries to spit it out but with the oversized hooks catch on the way out. 8/10 times there hooked in the verry front of the mouth when i get a strike on the bottom..simalar idea to using circle hooks on catfish

Good post.Very true.

If your jiggin a william whitefish with the side hooks properly, you don't foul hook many fish. Sure, it happens, but not very often. The truth of the matter is, most guys have no clue how to work them, and just end up ripping them, and snagging fish.

S.

If your jiggin a william whitefish with the side hooks properly, you don't foul hook many fish. Sure, it happens, but not very often. The truth of the matter is, most guys have no clue how to work them, and just end up ripping them, and snagging fish.

S.

Exactly what I was thinking. :good:

Open herring so I can use them as dead bait in the spring for pike!

What a waste. I love my smoked herring. :clapping:

Brian, You can have all of our herring from Nipissing for all I care. They are a pain in the butt when targeting walleye and they stink up the hut.

I hear their wormy.

I find it funny that you guys think that someone is trying to snag fish in 80, 90 fow. People have been JIGGING on simcoe for how many years? They dont call it JIGGLE YOUR SPOON ON BOTTOM. I Just us a flick of my wrist and jig the spoon maybe 6-8 inches at a time in a constant jig always keeping the spoon moving. Sure I get foul hooked fish ( everyone does) but trying to snag in 90 FOW? give me a break. Everyone has a different style of jigging and just because some of you guys diddle your spoon on bottom doesnt mean you can call out everyone else for snagging. Tip ups are likely the biggest % of snagging there is. Lots of times the fish will take a run at it, hit the line and the angler hooks the fish in the belly. Are they trying to snag fish ? no but it happens.

Yeah you're right. No one snags whitefish on Simcoe...

Are you one of those guys with the big wooden stick ripping your 'dressed' treble hook 2-3ft of the bottom? If so, I can tell why you might take this thread personally, lol!!!!

The way I read it, it didn't sound like they were calling "everyone else" out for snagging. The guys ripping 2 and 3 feet up....when they know there's a school of fish there (easy to do with electronics) are the one's they're talking about. Lots and lots of people fish Simcoe...no question there is a lot of rule breaking going on...same as the way the salmon run brings them out.

Yeah you're right. No one snags whitefish on Simcoe...

Are you one of those guys with the big wooden stick ripping your 'dressed' treble hook 2-3ft of the bottom? If so, I can tell why you might take this thread personally, lol!!!!

I dont dress my treble with anything and my jig is only 6-8 inches long. Yes I use a jigging stick because thats the way it started on simcoe and it works so why change it? Id rather get a hit on the stick than a rod. Your a steelheader so I guess your the much better fisherman and are always right because steelheaders are a breed of their own.