Side hooks on Williams Ice-jig.

Eazy

I dont dress my treble with anything and my jig is only 6-8 inches long. Yes I use a jigging stick because thats the way it started on simcoe and it works so why change it? Id rather get a hit on the stick than a rod. Your a steelheader so I guess your the much better fisherman and are always right because steelheaders are a breed of their own.

Great, so you aren't ganking whitefish like the other guys out on the lake. But if you think that doesn't happen, you really need to spend more time out on the ice and witness it with your own eyes.. I spent enough days out there last year to see MANY fish come up ass first then be thrown on the ice.

I'm a good fisherman because I spend time on the water, it's got nothing to do with steelheading :) But I appreciate the kudos.

Edited by BillM

I find it funny that you guys think that someone is trying to snag fish in 80, 90 fow. People have been JIGGING on simcoe for how many years? They dont call it JIGGLE YOUR SPOON ON BOTTOM. I Just us a flick of my wrist and jig the spoon maybe 6-8 inches at a time in a constant jig always keeping the spoon moving. Sure I get foul hooked fish ( everyone does) but trying to snag in 90 FOW? give me a break. Everyone has a different style of jigging and just because some of you guys diddle your spoon on bottom doesnt mean you can call out everyone else for snagging. Tip ups are likely the biggest % of snagging there is. Lots of times the fish will take a run at it, hit the line and the angler hooks the fish in the belly. Are they trying to snag fish ? no but it happens.

Bill has taken offense to what you have said because he practices what he preaches. I agree with you. It is very hard to snag something you cannot see when it is 90 feet away from you. Just because you see a fish on your fish finder does not mean it is right under you.

Bill has taken offense to what you have said because he practices what he preaches. I agree with you. It is very hard to snag something you cannot see when it is 90 feet away from you. Just because you see a fish on your fish finder does not mean it is right under you.

I really haven't taken offense to anything.. Myself and many other have seen legitimate snagging of whitefish out on Simcoe.. Ask around to anyone who spends a decent amount of time on the ice chasing these things... If anything, it's EASIER through the ice because you're presentation is completely vertical.. A big weighted treble + some braid and it really doesn't matter how deep you are fishing.. Does it happen by mistaken? Absolutely it does, but are people out there doing it on purpose? You better believe it..

Great, so you aren't ganking whitefish like the other guys out on the lake. But if you think that doesn't happen, you really need to spend more time out on the ice and witness it with your own eyes.. I spent enough days out there last year to see MANY fish come up ass first then be thrown on the ice.

I'm a good fisherman because I spend time on the water, it's got nothing to do with steelheading :) But I appreciate the kudos.

Your right I dont spend very much time on simcoe. Once there is safe ice I might miss 1 day before the end of the season. This year I will try to make it out everyday IF we ever get some ice. I dont like fishing close enough to people to tell if their fish is coming out of the hole backwards or not. Its a big lake I dont need to be that close to someone.

Yeup!......Looks like its been jacked! :blahblah1:

Sorry about that. It is still about the ice jig and views on using it. Dont worry if you leave on the side hooks and use it in deep water jigging, only a small % of people will call you a snagger. I leave mine on when fishing on the ice and take them off when fishing in my hut. I take them off in the hut because I use a net and they are a pain in the butt to get un tangled.

Sorry about that. It is still about the ice jig and views on using it. Dont worry if you leave on the side hooks and use it in deep water jigging, only a small % of people will call you a snagger. I leave mine on when fishing on the ice and take them off when fishing in my hut. I take them off in the hut because I use a net and they are a pain in the butt to get un tangled.

Whoops, I guess we should get back on topic, lol! I usually remove mine because I find the fish tend to wrap up in them and get hooked in the eye/face/whatever.

I really haven't taken offense to anything.. Myself and many other have seen legitimate snagging of whitefish out on Simcoe.. Ask around to anyone who spends a decent amount of time on the ice chasing these things... If anything, it's EASIER through the ice because you're presentation is completely vertical.. A big weighted treble + some braid and it really doesn't matter how deep you are fishing.. Does it happen by mistaken? Absolutely it does, but are people out there doing it on purpose? You better believe it..

BillM,

You started with a good argument but then you shifted goalposts from side hooks on a lure to big weighted trebles with braided line and now your argument has lost all meaning.

Whether you choose to leave on or take off the side hooks on a the Williams does not make you any more or less of a snagger. The way you jig the lure might, but it has little do with the choice of what to do with the side hooks.

The thread started with a great question and good input on the pros and cons, then you came in and put people that leave on the side hooks into the same bucket as people that rip trebles off the bottom with braided line.

BillM,

You started with a good argument but then you shifted goalposts from side hooks on a lure to big weighted trebles with braided line and now your argument has lost all meaning.

Whether you choose to leave on or take off the side hooks on a the Williams does not make you any more or less of a snagger. The way you jig the lure might, but it has little do with the choice of what to do with the side hooks.

The thread started with a great question and good input on the pros and cons, then you came in and put people that leave on the side hooks into the same bucket as people that rip trebles off the bottom with braided line.

I'm sorry you couldn't follow along, my apologies.

I guess the mnr should ban all hooks bigger than size 8. Hey you musky and pike guys should change your trebbles to barbless trout hooks so you dont get one stuck in the fish's eye/face/whatever during battle. Nothing personal bill just trying to point out the hooks are useful and legal.

I guess the mnr should ban all hooks bigger than size 8. Hey you musky and pike guys should change your trebbles to barbless trout hooks so you dont get one stuck in the fish's eye/face/whatever during battle. Nothing personal bill just trying to point out the hooks are useful and legal.

No one said you were out there snagging whities on purpose. You asked a question, you got an answer.. The fact is the side hooks do snag whitefish once in a while. No big deal, reel them up, unhook them and put them back down the hole.

I'm not quite sure how people got confused between unintentional snagging (which happens to all of us) and the guys ripping giant trebles off the bottom and bringing the fish up ass first.

Thankyou for removing us of those who catch fish on the sidehooks from the same bucket as snaggers. Now if someone could tell me how to catch more lakers on a williams ice jig i am all ears.. I get the odd one but i am in no way confident in using it to target lakers with i get most of my lakers on live bait.

Thankyou for removing us of those who catch fish on the sidehooks from the same bucket as snaggers. Now if someone could tell me how to catch more lakers on a williams ice jig i am all ears.. I get the odd one but i am in no way confident in using it to target lakers with i get most of my lakers on live bait.

Dude, the lakers don't like me either. Don't take it personally, lol.

I'm sorry you couldn't follow along, my apologies.

I did follow along fine and I'm on your side with regards to intentional snagging on Simcoe a) happening B) being despicable, it's just that I don't think any of that belongs in this thread... As you can tell from some of the replies people get worked up about being grouped with people that do unethical/illegal things just because of technique. As a steelheader I'm sure you are very familiar with the stigma some people get when they use a technique other than floatfishing, but why open that can of worms? If people want to snag they will find ways to do it side hooks or not. However I believe a good majority of people who are doing the 4 foot swoops with their rod on Simcoe are doing it out of lack of knowledge and not because of bad intentions. Anyways my point is that side hooks are really not the root of the snagging problem on Simcoe, and that the goal should be to educate people the proper technique with them, not get rid of them.

Good luck on the ice this winter.

You can snag them just the same with a meegs/badboy type lure too.

If its hooked in the face, its dinner. Get a camera down there and have a look at what they're doing while your jigging. You would be surprised how many times they miss your lure. I've also seen them hover over the jig, like Harrison mentioned.

It happens, there's not much you can do about it. I find it more fun to make them bite myself, but I see plenty of people out there rip jigging them, and keeping them. IMO, keeping the foul hooked fish is probably better than releasing them. AFter you fight a foul hooked fish, they are beat. I'm not sure if many of them survive.

S.

Now if someone could tell me how to catch more lakers on a williams ice jig i am all ears.. I get the odd one but i am in no way confident in using it to target lakers with i get most of my lakers on live bait.

I rarely get the lakers on the metal. The odd time if one comes in hot and spun and just smokes it. IMO, the flash brings them in and the plastic (tube, swimbait etc.) or live bait is usually what they eat once in the area.

I stick a shiner or chunk of cisco on the treble hook to increase my laker hooking percentage.

You will catch fewer whitefish though.

I take them off, seem to always be in the way.

Having said that, if someone watched me they may think I'm ripping fish. Aggressive jigging (3-5' jigs) to create a bunch of flash to bring them on the screen and than its either back to the bottom for those finesse fish or reeling it away from them and getting a strike 30' up over 70' ofw for those aggressive fish.

When on bottom my jigs are nothing more than steady flutters right on bottom to stir the sediment up.

Eyes glued to the electronics the whole time.

Every year in Temagami thou I do try and jig up a few lakers on the stick just to do it old school.

R