Side hooks on Williams Ice-jig.

Eazy

Good info now I am on my way to lake Simcoe this year when the ice harden and start snagging those white fish with the side hooks. I didn't know you can snag them while jigging hard I got to try that out this year thanks for the tip guys. I will let you guys know how many white fish I will snag this year. Just one question is it better to snagg them in the bottom or put the jig couple of inch of the bottom please let me know I want to snag one seriously. Lol jokes

Edited by Rjay

Interesting comments.

The Williams ice jig is the top of the list for anyone targeting whitefish on Simcoe. Also works for lakers, but the strategy is a bit different.

The side hooks can snag a fish, especially if, like many do, you rip the jig 6 feet off bottom. If you fish it this way, you won't get half the fish, and you'll snag most of them. The lure is to be used in the bottom 6 inches....slooooowly. Most often as stated the fish press it to bottom or just barely tap it while it rests near bottom. Use braid, flouro leader (6 or 8lb) and lift up, let it down, always hitting bottom. Most fish will be on the treble, a few will have both the treble and the side hooks. If you take them off you'll miss a few, but it still works fine.

No pearls, no minnows -- not necessary.

Hammered half and half is best imo.

Other strategies work, but I use this lure 85% of the time every time out...cause it works.

The gong show in spring when the fish school off Jackson's Point is a different story...TONNES of snaggers all ripping jigs and keeping illegal fish...it's rediculous. But this isn't the lure's fault, it's the so called "fishermen"...

Ive only ever caught one thing on a williams whitefish thingy. A pretty impressive catch though i think. I jigged this guy up live on the ice from 60'FOW!

IMG_0225.jpg

That's because you got those side hooks pushed in to the center of the lure. You need them right out on the edge of the spoon! :asshat::Gonefishing::whistling:

The gong show in spring when the fish school off Jackson's Point is a different story...TONNES of snaggers all ripping jigs and keeping illegal fish...it's rediculous. But this isn't the lure's fault, it's the so called "fishermen"...

You said it Kev. I couldn't agree more.

Interesting comments.

The Williams ice jig is the top of the list for anyone targeting whitefish on Simcoe. Also works for lakers, but the strategy is a bit different.

The side hooks can snag a fish, especially if, like many do, you rip the jig 6 feet off bottom. If you fish it this way, you won't get half the fish, and you'll snag most of them. The lure is to be used in the bottom 6 inches....slooooowly. Most often as stated the fish press it to bottom or just barely tap it while it rests near bottom. Use braid, flouro leader (6 or 8lb) and lift up, let it down, always hitting bottom. Most fish will be on the treble, a few will have both the treble and the side hooks. If you take them off you'll miss a few, but it still works fine.

No pearls, no minnows -- not necessary.

Hammered half and half is best imo.

Other strategies work, but I use this lure 85% of the time every time out...cause it works.

For lakers you just fish higher in the water column?

For lakers you just fish higher in the water column?

I've caught most of my lakers right off bottom, but yeah usually 10-15ft above bottom with a big tube or larger sized Willians spoon... I get all my lakers on the chase.. I've had fish come out of 100ft of water after I've dropped my lure in the hole, hitting it 10ft below the ice..

The best is watching them on the graph coming up for the kill!!!