New Guy- Lurker to Lunker

Row Boat

Hi all,

First off, ...they hear it a lot, but I'm sure it’s never enough- kudos to the admin's of this board.

I personally am grateful at the dedication that they have to run a board that offers such informative (some of the times), and lively (most of the times) discussions.

I thank you.

I've been lurking for a few months but now that the 2007 season is just weeks away, I'd like the privilege of introducing myself to you great folks.

Like all of you, I just have a basic fondness for the sport of fishing.

I'd tell you that I usually target bass, but that may give you an incorrect impression that I know what I'm doing.

With respect to the ministry’s rules and regulations, I'll "try" to catch anything that swims.

These days, it's mostly bass and pan fish.

I don't own a boat, but I do manage to get out about once a week in the spring and summer time.

I either shore fish, rent a boat, or friends graciously invite me on their boats.

Most of the bodies of water that I fish are within a two hour drive of Toronto.

Late last year I purchased my first baitcaster, a Curado. I caught one fish on it so far. It was also the first fish I ever cuaght using a 'jig and pig' bouncing off bottom in weed pockets.

The fish I caught was a 2 lb largemouth, nothing spectaular ( I got my share of 3's and 4 lb'ers last year using a spinning reel and senkos) but to me it was a monumental achivement.

I felt I took two large steps closer to being a 'real' fisherman.

I have a weekend trip to the French River (Woseley Bay area) planned in late May.

If anyone can offer up some thoughts on how to fish for walleyes and pike on the French in late May, it'd be most appreciated.

I sincerely look forward to contributing (I guess thats another word for bragging :thumbsup_anim: ) my results from my fishing excursions in days to come.

Over and out.

Row Boat.

Great intro RB. My wife and I hit that part of the French the last two weeks of September, with the second week out of Wolseley Lodge. This will be, I think, our third year there. Never been Walleye fishing in my life, so I'm sorry I can't help you out there. I'm hoping to give it a shot this year. I've been picking up some lure suggestions from folks on the board. I'm hoping to hook up with someone at our Lakair GTG this year and teach me a thing or two.

For pike, I've had pretty good success in the weeds. The largest come from little bays with rocky shore-line with coon tail interspersed between the rocks - or just out from the ricks. Had some luck in some of the larger cabbage beds. Had a big blow-up last year on the North Channel (just down the road at Rainbow Camp), fishing right up to the reed line. Not huge in length (high 20"s / maybe 30") , but nice and heavy. I was fishing a Shallow Invader, which caught a few pike and also raised two muskies. I used the Invader quite a bit last year. We also used some spinner baits through the weeds to pick up pike. I add a longer twister trail to the spinner bait for a little something extra.

Mainly I try to target musky. We troll a fair amount as we go to/from camp. I've been trying to hone my skills fishing points and around rock islands cropping up from deeper water. No luck yet, but I'm hoping its just a matter of time. Just gotta keep putting time on the water,

Last year, my wife wanted to try a Suick, so I rigged her up. We were fishing the shoreline not too far out of Wolseley Lodge. On one of her casts, that landed just a few feet from the shore line, something of fairly nice size took a swipe at the Suick. Huge boil in the water around the lure. Unfortunately we didn't see the fish and it missed the lure. We tried a couple throw-backs and returned a time or two later on, during early am / late pm ... but nothing. Too bad, I would have loved to see my wife latch into something of decent size for a change.

I have a GPS unit now and purchased the Canadian Topo CD to create maps of the area. So, this may be by first real on-the-water use of my GPS and anxious togive it a try. A couple years ago I went on Google Earth and printed off a satellite view of the area. I kept a copy of this in the boat and even had a few extras that I was able to share with another group in camp that year.

We're looking forward to our trip again this year.

Best of luck and post your pics when you get back.

Edited by Rich Clemens

For pike, I've had pretty good success in the weeds. The largest come from little bays with rocky shore-line with coon tail interspersed between the rocks - or just out from the ricks. Had some luck in some of the larger cabbage beds. Had a big blow-up last year on the North Channel (just down the road at Rainbow Camp), fishing right up to the reed line. Not huge in length (high 20"s / maybe 30") , but nice and heavy. I was fishing a Shallow Invader, which caught a few pike and also raised two muskies. I used the Invader quite a bit last year. We also used some spinner baits through the weeds to pick up pike. I add a longer twister trail to the spinner bait for a little something extra........

Rich, thank you very much for your input. I'll make good use of it.

And thank you everyone for your warm welcome.

Got a new camera for this year so I going to try to make all of you regret your encouragements of posting pic's, especially those that have slow internet connections !

Row Boat

Rich, thank you very much for your input. I'll make good use of it.

And thank you everyone for your warm welcome.

Got a new camera for this year so I going to try to make all of you regret your encouragements of posting pic's, especially those that have slow internet connections !

Row Boat

Now thats what we like to hear - bring on the pics!

Great intro!! i have a feeling your going to be a great reporter!! lol Welcome to the board... im sure you will find it very informative, friendly, and sometimes the only thing u wanna do some days....

P.S im a better reader because of this board....Bud

Late may is my favorite time on the French and the Bay, I find late may to be the hottest bite of the year for Walleyes, they are hungry and willing to eat anything you have. You can never go wrong with a wormharness, if the water is still cold they might like minnows better than worms on the end.

It's a big deep river with tones of structure and weeds I would start by dragging a harness around until you find a couple, than park and start jigging away. :D

Welcome.