bow mount trolling motor

rob v

I have a hand controlled trolling motor up front. I had an inflatable that I use to have and I would use the hand unit on the transom. Then I bought an aluminum and I made a plate to mount it up front because it gave me more boat control to fish. All I can say it yes the cost would be less but that's about the only advantage. If my boat was designed to have a foot controlled motor that's what I would have. I see the odd salt water boat with quick stow and deploy hand controlled, but not sure why?

I researched carefully before buying my hand controled Minnkota Edge last spring. I have a 16ft Starfish DLX SC, and i didnt want anything cluttering up my casting deck.With a handle extension on it, it is easy to control and i can make directional adjsutments with my leg.clapping.gif

I find the hand controller to be easier to steer while fishing. I have a electric wireless and you touch the foot or hand controller and you don't know if it will move slightly or a whole 20 degrees. I got fed up with it and made an adapter and hand lever to make it run on and off and speed control on the foot controller the direction is now movable with you foot or leg while fishing. It also allows you to stand on both feet equally while fishing so no more tired leg from supporting you all day.

Art

I find the hand controller to be easier to steer while fishing. I have a electric wireless and you touch the foot or hand controller and you don't know if it will move slightly or a whole 20 degrees. I got fed up with it and made an adapter and hand lever to make it run on and off and speed control on the foot controller the direction is now movable with you foot or leg while fishing. It also allows you to stand on both feet equally while fishing so no more tired leg from supporting you all day.

Art

Yup, all that too.I originally started looking into hand controlled, after watching a fishing show on WFN.

You can install bigfoot deck mounted on/off switches w/ a bypass feature too but you still have to move the head to change direction or touch it to adjust speed. Myself id rather keep 2 hand free to fish and would sooner work a pedal vs kicking a tm arm all the time to change direction,a pain in the nuts in the wind,its whatever you like though.Btw I have a bigfoot switch kicking around if anyone needs one.

cost is certainly one factor as well I'm sure - seems to be quite difference esp when you compare to an i-pilot or remote control. I do know that I have to agree with a couple of the comments here - i.e. with my foot control (of course I'm no professional either) I find myself sometimes doing a lot of "foot work" to try and not over or under steer with my current foot control unit. I also know that from my experience in my previous boat (smaller tinny) I had a hand control stern-mounted trolling motor that I back trolled with (reversed the power head so the unit was pulling me backwards). I actually found it quite easy to use and fish at the same time. Steering control was actually easy to maintain. Anyone else have any experience with the hand controlled bow mount ?

Edited by Rob V

interesting read.

But i still cannot see how a hand controlled bow mount would be easier to control than say a bow mount with remote control or even a newer i-pilot system.

Hi Simon

I dont feel hand controlled are really easier than foot pedal.They are ideal for boats with smaller casting decks like mine.If i had foot pedals and cables hanging, i am clumsy enough to trip and fall overboard.

Its also less for my brain to think about. No thinking foot left, foot right, toe forward, heel backward.Just twist and steerclapping.gif

I'm partial to the power drive models. I know the foot pedals kinda suck, but I just love being able to control my boat, from anywhere. I pretty much strictly slow troll with my electric though, so I like the hands free button. Just turn it on, find my speed, and steer with the main engine. Works great, and you can't do that with a cable steer. You could with a hand steer I suppose, but you'd have to be up in the bow.

It really depends what kind of fishing you do most. If you troll with the electric, its nice to be hands free. If your just positioning the boat from the bow platform all the time, its really just personal preference.

S.

It really depends what kind of fishing you do most. If you troll with the electric, its nice to be hands free. If your just positioning the boat from the bow platform all the time, its really just personal preference.

S.

Exactlyclapping.gif Thats pretty much how i fish. Drift, position, drift.I may use it to follow a weedline, but i dont use it to troll for hours at a time.

Both have it's pro's and con's......I'm on my 3rd foot control model, all have been cable steer models....I'm use to it and it works VERY well....but there are times when it's rough or for some other reason I wish I could control the bow mount from mid ship and that's when a power steer model out shines my cable steer.....as far as a bow mount hand control....I like to fish alone a lot and I need all the hands I can have available for netting, chasing and getting out snags....this is much easier with both hands available yet having the boat pointed in the correct direction.

As far as the foot control taking up room on my small bow deck.....never seemed to be a issue with me....I can kick it all the forward to where the bow makes a V and it's completely out of the way.

The best improvement I recently made up front at the bow was get another Lowrance LMS 520c unit and have it networked together with my console unit....now I can punch in waypoints up front and they are also recorded at the console....but better yet is the 2 units are also Ethernet together so I don't have to have the bow TM in the water to use my sonar up front. Many times I like to sit up there while perch fishing and both my sonar units are running off the transom mounted transducer because I'm on Lake Erie and anchored. I can also visa versa with sharing the bow mounted transducer.

I have a hand controlled on my bass boat now and i love it, much easier to use, mine has 2 throttle buttons on the deck, one on the left and right side, i just bump mine with my knee to steer, no looking at where the arrow is pointing and most of all way easier on the back, having your leg extended up for a 8 hour day makes for a painfull evening, i,ve had lots of guyz in my boat running it and they just loved it, select 1 of the 5 speeds in forward and 2 in reverse, and use the buttons to move you.

001-45.jpg

002-27.jpg

Edited by waynechute

Those buttons are bigfoot switches, I had them on my last boat along with a foot control and only used the pedal to steer if I used the buttons. I dont find it uncomfortable to fish all day with a pedal but if it was you could install a pedal tray. I dont ever troll with it or run it steady though, if you fished like that a direct drive & i pilot would be the ticket. I think alot of guys not fond of foot controls are using direct drive units for positioning which they are horrible to use for, thats were the cable steer shines.

I'm trying to think of why anyone would buy a hand controlled bow mount trolling motor (vs foot control or remote control) - other than to try and save a few bucks. Would there be any other beenfit ?

I have a Motor Guide wireless with the foot controller that controls on/off, faster/slower, right/left. I like the fact that I can move the controller to anywhere on the boat, including to my passengers when I get tired of them saying "left a bit, right a bit".

Yes, there are times when I seem to have the knack of control better than others, and when the controller seems to be more responsive on certain days than others, but I am sure it is fine and I am the one changing.

It is hard to imagine having to be physically in contact with the motor as being better in any way. Not to dis the guys that have made that choice, but since you're asking....

Jim

Here is the unit I added to my power steering unit I use the foot controller for speed and on and off and just kick the extention back and forth. top notch troll It is not for everyone but it makes it alot easier to use than the ones with the low hand controller.If anyone is interested in it it does take an adapter and you need to remove the power head to do it correctly I will be happy to tell you how to and send you an adapter.

Art