Another towing question

sneak_e_pete

Hello again...lots of questions...these days...just excited I guess. I posted a while ago about a tow vehicle and got a lot of valuable advice, however I have 1 more question.

I want a new boat in the next 1-2 years, but would like to avoid buying a truck for several more years. I currently own a Dodge Grand Caravan (towing capacity 1,500 lbs.). My family has a trailer near Dunville, and the boat launch is literally 3 kms down the road and is relatively flat. I could store the boat at my trailer and launch each time I want to use it. Do you anticipate any real problems towing it on a regular basis to that launch and launching/pulling it out? I definitely want to avoid buying a boat and not being able to use it.

Thanks for your input.

Based on your prospective boat from your other post, I would say, no problem! That short distance combined with the relatively few times you woud be towing should be fine. I did it with a much heavier boat than you are looking at and even towed it back and forth between the camp and home a couple of trips per year.

Well based on your posts you are asking if you can tow something that weighs 2600 lbs with a vehicle that is rated to pull 1500..... Having said that, I have seen more than one Honda Civic pulling boats out at the launch and I am sure they are rated at about 50Lbs towing capacity.

You wont be doing the van any favours but you should be fine.

First thing that came to my mind was what happens with your insurance coverage if you have an accident while your towing a 2600 pound boat with a vehicle rated to tow 1500 pounds. :dunno:

Just a thought...

Really need to talk to your insurance rep. May not cover you if you're in an accident if you tow beyond rating of veheicle. Secondly, start saving for a new transmission on the Caravan

I don't know it that is true or not....but I'm leaning NOT....if you think about it then almost every "accident" would be denied for one reason or another....you went thru a stop sign....you were speeding....you were driving without the proper caution for the weather conditions that day....the list could go on and on.

My son is a insurance underwriter....next time he's home (next weekend) if I remember I'll have to ask him about something like this.

Bob

I know the insurance underwriters have a "stupid factor" built into policies -like when you wire your own house incorrectly and cause a fire.

But if there is a significant claim and they don't want to pay, they start looking at the fine print. Like if you lied about your driving activity as in whether for work or pleasure.

Best to ask the agent dealing with the policy

Best to ask the agent dealing with the policy

Now that's a good one....they are like asking your car salesmen how much you vehicle can tow.... :rolleyes:

Insurance agents are good for one thing and only one thing....take money from you, take a cut of said money for themselves and pass the rest onto the insurance company.

You’ll be working that van but with care it should get you to the ramp ok; my concern would be, will it pull the boat out and up the ramp?

Not just power wise; but traction; with all that weight on the rear, will the front drive wheels have enough weight on them not to just spin out easily?

I guess if it does turn into an issue, you could install a weight distribution hitch. That would transfer some of the weight back onto the front of the vehicle.

Dan.

hitch.jpg

You’ll be working that van but with care it should get you to the ramp ok; my concern would be, will it pull the boat out and up the ramp?

Not just power wise; but traction; with all that weight on the rear, will the front drive wheels have enough weight on them not to just spin out easily?

I guess if it does turn into an issue, you could install a weight distribution hitch. That would transfer some of the weight back onto the front of the vehicle.

Dan.

Oh great, so now the answer is a WDH to give him extra front traction. Now here comes an errant dog or your kid that runs into the street, you hit the brakes, (likely which aren't rated for that load) and your weight distributing hitch has already taken weight off the rear, how about an instant jack knife and loss of control. All everyone yeah sayer is doing is giving an opinion that the OP want to hear. Who's going to cover his butt when things go wrong.

It is not what you can tow it is what you can safely stop. You can get into a wreck as soon as you back out of the driveway distance to the water does not matter. It is either safe or it is foolish.

Art

Exactly why I said above that the OP may have a problem with his insurance company if he overloads his tow vehicle.

Dan.

i second what dan has said....i bought my boat thinking i could tow it a very short distance....well i could....but coming out of the ramp was a real challenge...upgraded to a full size real wheel van...no issues whatso ever now...

i used to panick when it would rain....lol

Doesn't matter how far the drive is - it is not safe to do it. Don't they say most accidents happen within 5 k.m of home? Anyway.....

I wouldn't be putting myself, or family in harm's way.

I am 95% sure if the launch is anything but 100% clear cement you won't even have enough torque to pull it out. Forget about it even if it is cement if there is the famous "lip" where the concrete ends and drops 3+ inches to the bottom of the body of water. Is it a steep launch - more problems for you. The weight on the hitch will have you require someone to sit on the hood to get traction - I've seen it before.

Either get a smaller boat, a dock where you can moor it or a proper tow vehicle for the boat.

i second what dan has said....i bought my boat thinking i could tow it a very short distance....well i could....but coming out of the ramp was a real challenge...upgraded to a full size real wheel van...no issues whatso ever now...

i used to panick when it would rain....lol

I launch and pull my boat out of the sand launch at View Lake, no problems, but I know what I'm working with and act accordingly.

Just use it.

Entropy

O.K., I feel like a total tool...I actually took the time to look into the towing capacity rather than rely on what the sales guy at the dealership told me, and it is actually 3,600 lbs. Sorry.

3600 lbs with the van 'empty' right. So put a 2500 lb package on and you still have room for more. Also I think the shocks in my van will 'load adjust' or level out the van after 5 min of driving. It does not have the air pkg, but does this some how.

If you are pushing the limit for weight and driving further, you might think of a trany cooler, relatively cheap and good insurance.

Entropy

I was surprised when you said the towing capacity was only 1500lb, 3600lb seems more realistic.

The last minivan I had was a '98 Caravan, I towed my old 16' boat everywhere with that and never had a problem at a launch that was in reasonable shape.