My 2011 Year End Report.

Moosebunk

My buddy Dan said in the truck one morning, "One can never fish too much, yet once a day should be quite enough." I laughed...

Cause it can't ever feel wrong when you're out there. Outside, enjoying the day, challenging yourself, time alone or with friends, and maybe, reaping some great fishing rewards.

Some folks get tired of these Year End Reports, but I take it as a chance to reflect and go into the New Year feeling personally satisfied by the opportunities and on-water fishing successes found during 2011. Could say it's a feel good process to put it all together and review, and something to remember to strive for in the coming year.

This year brought on fish of all kinds. From the Arctic to just a stones throw from the front porch. In life... solid planning, work, love and commitments are the vehicle, but the fish God's pulling the strings force me running all over. In the end, it all came full circle to create one extraordinary year in fishing.

2011 has actually been deemed the "year of seconds." It was a second full year living home in the south here, so second full year fishing many of the newer species and lakes. On the water I caught my second best pike, arctic char, brook trout, laker, walleye, crappie and possibly smallmouth too. In the Arctic, my wifes bigger char threw mine in the backseat for a second time, while we enjoyed our second trip to Plummers. Up on the Attawapiskat during trip number two to Pym with friends, I caught a second biggest pike, a giant equal to that of our first trip. My buddy Keith joined me in the Lund for a second speckie go out west, while fishing at home I caught a solid first and then "second" big laketrout around the spring opener, and come fall took a second "mini-tour" for trib rainbows. You get the idea, because as said it was mostly seconds that counted, and there were more to be counted. Yet, there were a few firsts as well.

All-in-all... the year went by in just a matter of seconds too... Thanks go out to the many friends and bit of family whom took the time to share the days and themselves. And, as well, thanks to those whom continually show friendly support and interest for these long winded reports online. I hope others do your fishing endeavors as well. A supportive online community of anglers makes coming home from fishing and choosing to spread the word about your day or trip, a more rewarding experience. Reading other angler reports during the slow days is always a welcome treat too. Good luck in 2012.

TEN FISH SPECIES THAT STOLE THE SHOW!

Arctic Char.

GBL-061.jpg

GBL-083a.jpg

GBL-084.jpg

It was a trip win as some people know, and quite the highlight of the year. Can't thank the online community enough for their support in that. The Tree River is my favorite place on this great earth and it's char the pinnacle of all fish. They are superbly beautiful and strong fighting, and to me it's always been a little crazy; but yet totally appropriate, that they are only found in the world's most harsh environments. Truly one of natures gifts. For char fishing I packed an 8 1/2 foot MH rated 8-17lb salmon/steelhead baitcasting rod. 50lb braid to a long 16lb floro lead, then strong snap/swivel. One ounce down to 3/4oz Pixies, DevleDogs and Cleos were the spoons of choice. Also, a 7 foot 8-14lb MH spinning rod with 30lb braid on a 3000 series reel made the trip. Same floro lead minus the snap. Tied directly were 3/4 ounce strong jigheads with 4 to 5 inch white grubs. Both set-ups took fish, the casting outfit used more throughout the fast and shallow runs, the spinning at the base of falls and bouncing through the deeper rocky trenches. Either would still take fish in the opposite scenarios.

Pike.

Pym2011-18a.jpg

Nip11-12.jpg

Pym2011-25.jpg

Missing a year in 2009, annually I have enjoyed putting together trips for friends since 2004. This year for our group was the always perfect walleye-pike combo fish at Pym, and a solo friend also joined me to head out west to the Nip. Both could be considered trips of a lifetime. Pike are creatures that in such places, I just LOVE to death. They have the nastiest attitudes and if muskies are to be considered the Mike Tysons' or George Foremans' of esox, well then northerns would have to be the Lennox Lewis' or Sugar Rays'. This year saw some pike step into the ring that would have certainly rivaled muskie heavyweights. For pike fishing though, I often use lighter gear than that for muskie. They most often hook themselves these fish, as they tend to rush and engulf baits rather than nip them first. Generally smaller baits with smaller hooks, easier to stick 'em. An array of too many usual suspect pike baits are in the box, but the rod/reel combos for bigger northerns are generally baitcast or spinning MH 7 - 7 1/2 foot outfits, 3000 spinning or low profile baitcasting, 30-50lb braided line, 45-60lb home-made steel black-nylon coated leaders and strong snap/swivels. I never use florocarbon leads for pike, and it's not that they don't work, it's just that I have seen what pike do to them up to the 120lb class, and I don't like going with thicker for some reason, especially too when you don't have to. Favorite pike bait of all time... well, different variations of an inline spinner dressed or not, have been responsible for bigger pike on the most bodies of water fished up north. Different spoons are responsible for the two biggest though.

Speckled Trout.

Nip11-20.jpg

Nip11-03.jpg

Nip11-14c.jpg

This fish is hard to beat and really, only it's bigger brother the char can do that. A tempermental, delicate and therefor tough fish to catch, speck chasers often find themselves moving on to other species in disbelief of themselves or, angry and in blame of the fish or their God. To me, they are worth driving oneself to exhaustion for the chance at a trophy, but settling for even just one is often prize enough that really makes your day out. Most times I fish specks with either light to medium 6 1/2 foot spinning outfits. Ten pound braids with a 5 - 8lb floro lead, or 6-10 lb mono straight to the lure, is perfect enough. Depending where and how, spoons like Cleos & EGB's, spinners such as #2 to 3 Panthers, Mepps and Bluefox's, and lastly bucktail jigs or soft grubs in 1/8 - 3/8 oz. are some lures preferred. Worm tipping helps and so does a lot of patience, a lot of homework and some skill. These fish will humble an angler, anytime. In this province, a catch of five pounds, is an equivalent to a bass of at least seven, and a much more rare occurrence for most anglers. Plus, a speck in it's prime water temps has every capability of rocking a smallie for strength. Lucky this year to enjoy two at six plus pounds. Again, a fish that's hard to beat and a favorite amongst some real diehard fisherman known.

Gar.

Spring11-080a.jpg

Spring11-066c.jpg

Spring11-068.jpg

This is new... but what fun it is! Gar fishing fills a void that by personal experience can only be so slightly similar to fishing char or spring clearwater pike during certain times. It's sight fishing. It's hunting. It's exhilarating. Gar aren't amazing fighters, but the look in their eyes, the takes, and the initial runs are heart-stopping. These fish are coyotes... wily in ways. It's a gnarly ride and wicked game when these fish are on. From the first online reports I knew that was one fish I wanted to tangle with. Working gar gear is whatever the conditions call for. Gar can get in heavy junk but at times roam free in the open. Rods, reels and line would be same as that used for pike. Once I tried a 9wt. fly rod with forward tapered float line off a medium arbor reel as well. Worked too... would have been better if the angler was more practiced. Lures are spinners, cranks, rope and long bucktail streamers. The true prehistoric toothy giants have yet to be caught...

Lakers.

GBL-024.jpg

Spring11-089.jpg

GBL-139.jpg

Watch the boards, online friends and TV because enough times all will come together and give you the chance at trying something new. In this case it was lake trout opener, and it was easy enough to follow the boats. But, even if there weren't any others out there people in these parts will talk... to the point that even Izumi will broadcast it. Yet, if I couldn't piece all things together for a first full season crack at the lakers, then the trip to Great Bear would have certainly taken care of any void. Both worked out.. Lakers are brutes meant to test the arms. They are such gluttons there is something to be said about feeling their dogged weight on the line. They're awesome! Gear needed for them is off the charts too, but if planning on a northern Canada escape to where the record breakers dwell, this could be recommended... your muskie gear. Heavy baitcasting rods 7 - 8 feet, good working reels countered or not, line 50-80lb braid, and 65-80lb, 3-6 foot 65 - 80lb floro leads to a strong snap swivel. This gear presuming you'll be flatlining mostly, and preying to God for greys possible in the 40-70lb class. We haven't yet come close to those weights, but when catching 44 one day with many in the teens and a few twenties, you don't want to be wasting time getting them in and shaking them off.

Rainbows.

Autumn11-143.jpg

Autumn11-135.jpg

Autumn11-144.jpg

Another relatively new experience is "tribbin" for bows, and this fishing is addictive. Rewards of such pretty looking and hard hammering fish, the whole feel of it is a rush. One day out in the 2010 year, 2011 would mark the second fall since 2009 that a little extra effort was put forth for steelhead. A timely guided driftboat day followed by a solo day bank beating, was a mint way to familiarize and experience a new river and hone the skills needed to put some fish in hand. For the first time in fishing I had the choice to be guided or not, and chose to. Some frown on hiring a guide it seems, but if all did this, then some friends wouldn't make a living, and many anglers would in the end waste even more time, effort and money, learning the slow way. An extra morning or evening of overtime at work can sometimes mean paying for a day, then days of worthwhile enjoyment could follow that much sooner. I like catching fish when I go fishing, you know what I mean? No gear recommendations as I'm no pro to this... but the friendly tip is likely better.

Walleye.

Autumn11-028.jpg

Autumn80.jpg

Winter11-053a.jpg

Ole Marble Eyes has kind of taken the place of sentimental favorite. In many ways, it's this fish that I have historically really cut my teeth on, honed skills on, pursued most often in the past ten years, still fish for during all seasons, understand the most, feel confident in fishing, love to eat, and take the most enjoyement sharing with others, and always have. It's understandable that 40% of Canadian anglers choose walleye over the remaining 60% which spread out amongst all other species. It's a no-brainer to see why our friends south of the border flock to our Province to fish walleye more than any other fish. They are at number one because they combine fun and food in every corner of Ontario, during any season. No other fish does this as well. This year they were caught all year round, and gear for that is plentiful enough. So then, onto eating walleye... try this fried in oil next time. 1/2 parts buttermilk pancake mix to 1/2 parts original Shake N'Bake, a little garlic salt and optional spices to all make up the coating. Dip walleye in an egg or two beaten with a little milk and maple syrup before coating. Fry that goodness for some sweet battered walleye with a hint of a honey garlic flavor.

Smallies.

Autumn11-058.jpg

Autumn11-054.jpg

Autumn11-019.jpg

Bass are something I'll moan and groan about at times because I often equate them to the egos of tournament sportfishing, uber consumerism, Pro-this-and-that, go big or go home, winners and losers, and the often over publicizing of the one species in TV and mags. That said, it's much of those types of things that push fishing into the next best thing... so it's hard not to take note of now and again. But bass alone, outside of all that, are a cool fish myself and so many enjoy. And although I didn't get hardly a chance to fish largies this year, it was a special time in the fall when finding the smallie bite. Smallmouth gear for all fish this year and last, a 6 1/2 foot fast UL rated 2-6lb test, coupled with a 750 series spinning reel spooled with 10 braid. One doesn't have to, but I run a 2-3 foot 6lb Drennan florocarbon leader and chuck what would be considered micro-baits only. Never much of anything else. This is exactly too, what's worked for jigging walleye over the years. Always ultra-lighting for bass, every fish is a good and fun catch, and the bigger ones are an even bigger bonus.

Crappie.

Spring11-026.jpg

Winter11-018.jpg

Spring11-025.jpg

Total crappie dummie right here but gotta admit to liking 'em. They bring high fives in the boat and graciously take the place of northern spring walleye jiggin' for numbers and their table fare. Craps are pretty stylin' to look at, most times easier than walleye to fish when you find them but harder to find most times, and just a great recipe for good social fishing experience. Can't offer much into tips and tactics that would trump what many other good crappie anglers could tell, but I will say a few things I like. Narrow and clear Drennan floats if using one, 8lb braid on the UL over mono, and a 4-5lb floro lead. Why... just used to that from fishing other things.

Whitefish.

Winter11-079a.jpg

Winter11-085.jpg

Winter11-084.jpg

Heard it said before, "most over-rated fish." Whiteys put up a good fight from what little and new experience I can offer, but it's not speck or laker good by any means. Where they lack in that comparison though, they make up for in other ways. They are challenging fish to hook and/or keep hooked. It's finesse fishing in more than one sense. There's no horsing whiteys and oftentimes it seems, no aggressive fishing to be done. They steal minnows left and right; at least up on Kesagami the few caught would often show up at home with half your bucket of dace in their bellies... So far after this first winter trying for them here, it seems micro is the way to go. Would love to work and better results in the 2012 and maybe fish some new areas where live bait is allowed. That's probably key right there to ensuring whitefish commit more times to the hook... fishing time will tell. Whitefish are also a great meal.

Perch.

Winter11-048.jpg

Winter11-047.jpg

Winter11-022a.jpg

Winter11-050.jpg

To go from Arctic char to perch one could think the bottom of the barrel is being scraped. Truth is, perch could have been near the top in 2011. Through the ice and in the boat come summer, this fish was bread and butter for me and the girls. Friends have no trouble jumping in and joining us for ice time too, because perch and even the other pannies keep us kids and kids at heart busy and laughing. Whenever perch fishing in winter it's almost a must to have a sonar, light gear, light line and what helped me and the girls get a few more too, were some maggots from down at Bits & Baits to tip our hooks with. Mini jiggin' spoons like Buckshots and Flyers and Diamond Jigs with Powerbait Honey Worms or Ratsos worked good, as did a hook, split-shot, and peewee minnow.

Of course fish weren't the only company. Aside from the big winter group Bogie gathering, 30 different souls shared space on the ice, bank or in the boat this year. A few of their fine catches need to be shown and sorry for leaving some things out.

GBL-107.jpg

Bren's killer but only second biggest 20lb char.

Spring11-084.jpg

Dad's first ever and personal best, 16lb & 6oz gar.

Winter11-002.jpg

Christine's first rainbow.

Winter11-031.jpg

Fra's biggest splake the old dog waited a long while for.

Pym11-04M.jpg

Carl (The Gouin) with the walleye of the Pym trip.

Pym11-03G.jpg

StevieZ's PB soft water northern pike.

Pym2011-53.jpg

Grantzilla with a giant trip best sunset topwater pike.

Pym2011-65.jpg

Mikey releasing one of his 3 trophy pike on Redemption Pym Island's, final day.

Pym2011-13.jpg

Amelie's first 40-incher after just losing one much bigger.

Nip11-40.jpg

Last laugh football and possible PB speck for Keith.

Autumn11-094.jpg

Pat's PB 14lb walleye caught on his chosen "bargain bin lure." Big eye of the year.

Autumn11-098.jpg

Dad's PB walleye... or it might have been the other one that day.

Autumn11-075.jpg

Mike's PB walleye during his first Quinte trip. Banner day!

Autumn11-116.jpg

Tony's PB walleye during his first Quinte trip.

Autumn11-110.jpg

Dan's PB walleye headed for a wall in Yellowknife. Fourth fish landed in a 4-rod fire drill.

Autumn11-132.jpg

Old school chum Paul with a Quinte beaut!

And all their best walleyes left me beating my chest and quite a big drum...

Autumn11-117.jpg

It was a year of great moments, great fishing, great company. If this was the year to be lived and coined as the "year of seconds," it surely feels that my family, friends and I came out on top.

2012 the plan is to actually chill a little more through the winter, come out rippin' in the spring, find a little timely air conditioning up north but otherwise hide from the heat of summer, and then finally repeat the autumn cycle with maybe some extras too.

Hoping your year will be good to you...

Bunk.

Simply fantasic look back on the year dood....More interestingly though, you now have a journal that has a decade of data that could use some crunching and disclosure.

Ohhh yes Grantilla! We have talked. Been looking that big book over a few times through the holidays. Hard to believe 10 years got logged and there's not a time or day I can remember forgetting. Some great memories and a few interesting things I'll put up in the coming weeks methinks.

Now, before I hit reply, please do not crash on me again... the site for some reason has been doing that alot lately.