Bought New Ice Auger

Jds63

Used a manual auger for many years and decided on springing for a gas auger, picked up the Costco one for 249. I hope to get get out early January to mid March and hope to get at least 14 - 20 days of use in that time frame, not sure how many holes i'll be drilling , but it will be alot more than with the manual auger. I want this gas auger to provide less frustration for years to come so ..

My question is should i use premiuim gas (less ethanol) + oil ratio.

Or do you just run with regular gas +oil and add the stabilizer all winter, and run it dry at the end of the season ?

Any tips from a maintenance standpoint from the pros is appreciated .

As for using premium gas - in a 2-stroke engine it's a huge waste of money with zero benefit.

For the amount of gas you'll use in an auger for the entire season, I don't see how it would be a huge waste of money. You won't be burning dozens of litres in it.

I found that Premium made a big difference with mine. I'm curious how is makes zero difference in a 2 stroke motor... makes no sense to me. Doesn't the ethanol in regular gas mess up the carbs?

There is ethanol in many of the premium gases now too. If the manufacturer's reccomendations are to use regular gas,then do it, engines are desigined to burn a perticular grade of gas and you'll get better engine life by using the right grade.

Regardless of what gas you use, stabilizer is the way to go and when storing it for the summer, do not run it dry!

Am I a pro? No but I am a small engine mechanic and most of the problems I see could have been avoided by using stabilizer, a good quality oil and the proper grade of gas.

I run shell V-power in everything from auger to chainsaws and my car. Never a single issue, and I don't use stabilizer unless its sitting for months with no use.

A simple 2 stroke gas auger will last a life time with little to no maintenance. I always store my gear full of gas, never empty.

S.

Used a manual auger for many years and decided on springing for a gas auger, picked up the Costco one for 249. I hope to get get out early January to mid March and hope to get at least 14 - 20 days of use in that time frame, not sure how many holes i'll be drilling , but it will be alot more than with the manual auger. I want this gas auger to provide less frustration for years to come so ..

Or do you just run with regular gas +oil and add the stabilizer all winter, and run it dry at the end of the season ?

I bought mine last year at Costco about this time as a matter of fact.I use shell premium mixed with esso easymix semisynthetic oil up to 100to 1.This oil is made for air cooled engines which have a different classification than water or liquid cooled two strokes.I actually did a MSDS search on the oil property a couple years ago.This same oil is what I have used in my sled since I bought it.It is also fan cooled.I used mine every weekend cutting on average 10-12 holes or thereabouts.I didn't go through 4 liters.The cost saving is literally zip and Shell premium does not have ethanol.I filled my tank at the end of the season put some marine stabil in and forgot about it.Two weeks ago I fired it up on the second pull and let it run for about ten mins.Ready to go!

I bought mine last year at Costco about this time as a matter of fact.I use shell premium mixed with esso easymix semisynthetic oil up to 100to 1.This oil is made for air cooled engines which have a different classification than water or liquid cooled two strokes.I actually did a MSDS search on the oil property a couple years ago.This same oil is what I have used in my sled since I bought it.It is also fan cooled.I used mine every weekend cutting on average 10-12 holes or thereabouts.I didn't go through 4 liters.The cost saving is literally zip and Shell premium does not have ethanol.I filled my tank at the end of the season put some marine stabil in and forgot about it.Two weeks ago I fired it up on the second pull and let it run for about ten mins.Ready to go!

Agreed. I run my Jiffy with the same mix and it starts every year without issue...I ran stabil in it all the time and have had no problems...auger is 7 yrs old. I cut 10-12 holes per outing, 20+ outings per year.

As stated, put the cover on the blade and protect it as best you can...the blade dictates how fast the hole is cut, so keep it sharp.

Keep an eye on the gas cap for leaking, etc. Try not to let it get banged around on sleds/ATVs by strapping it down tightly.

Enjoy! You'll be so glad you have a gas auger...moving is so much easier, and you don't sweat and get cold.

Now if you could do something about the weather that'd be helpful.. :whistling:

Thanks guys for the tips, so I will look for the Shell premium, its not going to be much anyway. So no need to add stabilizer until the end of the season but still run the stabilizer through before storing it .

Looking forward to getting out there .... in 2012

There must be a medical term for the condition us southern Ontario ice fishers are experiencing, anxiousness, irritability, grumpiness ... wait thats my lack of coffee ..

ok

everywhere I read says that all new engines are built to be used with a % of ethanol, so why are so many saying the buy fuel that doesn't have ethanol to protect their engines from the evils of ethanol......

if you have an old engine I understand your concern......I remember people buying lead additives for some years after they removed it from fuel

even though they had a new car which was built for unleaded.....

or am I missing something

maybe the additives advertizing company are earning their pay

One thing I don't think was posted yet (I got lazy and didn't read all the replies) was do NOT push down on the auger to cut the hole. the blades do all the work for you and if you need to push it down then you damaged a blade and need new ones. PS, don't let someone else use you auger that isn't ready to pay to fix it.

AMSOIL makes a great HP Injector Synthetic oil and that's what I use. That and a stabilizer.

DO NOT use any gas w ethanol. Water absorption and phase separation are hard on 2 strokes, caused by ethanol in gas. Shell premium, Sea foam additive and a good 2 stroke oil 50:1 minimum and premium like Shell V-power is very cheap insurance to keep auger in peak shape consider sporadic usage typical of most augers.

My friend has the eskimo from costco. It works terrific and extremely light. The prime ball went brittle on the carb, I assume because the ethanol in regular gas attacked it. One year we fogged it and ran the tank dry for storage. The next winter I had to open the carb because the diaphram was dried out. My advice would be premium gas from shell, stabilizer at the end of the year, and once a year I open the gearbox to push the grease back into the gears as the manual recomends.

Congrats on the new purchase Julian :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

I don't own a power auger so I can't help with your maintenance concerns...but if we ever get any ice...I'd be more then happy to drill some fishing holes with it to see how it works :thumbsup_anim:

No problem Steve , just bring on the ice ...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ice shanty had a good discussion on this very topic as well, lots of varying opinions. Some common opinions that seem to be coming up a lot are:

Protect the blades, don't push down hard when drilling

Use premium fuel

Use a good oil

Add stabilizer at end of season

Top up with gas before storing (this was universally recommended). Everyone agrees that you SHOULD NOT run dry before storage. Saw the results of what happens when stored dry, fuel turns to varnish, dries up and can completely seize.

Just don't want to ruin my ice fishing investment ...... I figure this is probably good advise for all 2 strokes. Never did it for my weedwacker and it is a pile of junk, nearly had a coronary trying to start that thing a few summers ago, ended up buying a 18v model.

Don't be surprised if you get some bad looks using a power auger. Some guys have pulled up were a group of guys are stealth fishing and buddy starts his power auger. :wallbash: you just shut their fishing down.

I've had a power auger for years and made a few people ticked off unintentional. If your walking, you might want to stick with a manual.

This year I made a box for my ATV that will carry my power auger that I haven't used in years.

Because I'm getting older, drilling 20 or more holes with a manual a day can get tiring especially when the ice gets thicker.

If you see an old guy using a power auger, it could be me, have patients. :whistling::D

As for using premium gas - in a 2-stroke engine it's a huge waste of money with zero benefit.

I noticed a HUGE performance gain when I ran supreme in my 9.9 2 stroke...

Faster top end... Smoother idle...

And as mentioned... It's not like an auger burns 10 gallons a day...

I'd spend the extra $$

Set up a spare 5 gallon tank in your shed with the correct oil to supreme gas ratio and put some stabilizer in... Then your set for the year...

Mike if you notice that much improvement running premium, you've got something wrong with your motor....

Maybe...

But it was 20 years old and I used it for 5 years without putting a penny into repairs...and sold it for double what I paid...

And when I sold it it was running as good as when I bought it...