Paypal ????

lew

For anyone who may be interested, this was the reply I got from the person who claims to be interested in what I'm selling.

+++++++++++++

Thanks for your reply,i just wanted to make sure all bases are covered !I'm satisfied with the condition but how long have you owned it?? and what's your lowest price for it. I love a bargain, so i would like to get it as soon as i can.I would be able to make payment through paypal, i find it the easiest way to use my credit card safely and is a safe and reliable method of payment... Let me know your price for it .I hope to hear from you soon, and i will make all transportation preparations for the it to be transported to my home

+++++++++++++

your reply. I do not have a paypal account nor do I intend on creating one just for this sale. I only deal with cash and I have already told you my final price. If you are not happy with this I will contact the 2nd person that has offered to buy ____ from me. I have asked them to hold on to see what happens between you and me first. So before the other people decide they are no longer interested I need to know your answer. the person picking it up can bring the cash, that works too because I would guess you trust them. If I do not hear from you in 24 hours I will take it that you are no longer interested.

Your welcome in my boat anytime Geoff

Woohoo! Thanks Lew!

your reply. I do not have a paypal account nor do I intend on creating one just for this sale. I only deal with cash and I have already told you my final price. If you are not happy with this I will contact the 2nd person that has offered to buy ____ from me. I have asked them to hold on to see what happens between you and me first. So before the other people decide they are no longer interested I need to know your answer. the person picking it up can bring the cash, that works too because I would guess you trust them. If I do not hear from you in 24 hours I will take it that you are no longer interested.

Woohoo! Thanks Lew!

That's funny Geoff, your reply is darned near word for word what I told him last night.

I doubt I'll hear back from him but we'll see what happens.

Lew, when the buyer doesn't mention your item specifically, and just refers to it as 'the item' or something similar. It's an absolute scam....

I use Paypal all the time and have never had an issue, but never for big ticket items (My biggest purchase using it was just under $1000)...

Paypal can also do cash transfer. I've done that with a sale on a used item in the past.

Anyway, definitely bogus given the generality of the message.

Personally, if cash in hand wasn't an option, I'd just ask for an e-mail bank transfer. I do them all the time. Very fast and easy to do, as long as you bank online anyway.

Lew, when selling on Kijiji, go by a well worn statement..........

"In God we trust, the rest pay cash"!

No doubt that reply has "run" written all over it. Kijiji is a great place to sell stuff but it's still a little like the wild west as far as law and order.

Doesn't Paypal charge fees for transactions?

HH

There is a fee to accept the funds. Nothing for the sender.

There are no account fees for a regular paypal account. But you willbe charged a fee to withdraw the funds to a bank account if under $150, no fee if you withdraw more is my understanding.

An email money transfer is a great option. Some retailers accept this as a payment method as well. I do.

There is a 1.50 fee charge to the person sending the transfer however.

Edited by Harrison

It is my understanding that paypal deducts a percantage of each transaction from the sale price. (I think it is 3%). This amount comes out of the sellers account. I am under the impression that this is quite a profitable business; so much so that there seems to be some competition in the market. I read an article about a new company recent that charges a flat fee of 25 cents per transaction.

I was contacted by somebody with a similar story. He said that he will pay my paypal account and he will get his buddy to drop in and pickup what he had bought. I told him "How about you send the money to his paypals account and then he can cash it and hand me cash when he comes and picks it up." Never heard from hom again.

I had the same sort of thing happen when I listed some things on North Bay Classifieds a few years back. Almost the exact same wording, too, complete with the same stupid question about price - clearly indicated in the ad! Except instead of PayPal, it was Western Union.

I told him I would only take cash and to give me his address and I would personally deliver it to him. He insisted on Western Union. I insisted on cash and in person. That's where it ended. It was painfully obvious it was a scam.

Now, if I was selling something and the guy simply asked if I'd take PayPal, and sounded like a normal human being, I'd entertain the thought, possibly put some conditions such as the money has to clear and the shipping address and name has to match, etc. In general, PayPal is fairly safe, but I have only used it to buy things online and sell on eBay, as well as receive payments for minor side consultations for some guy in the US that considers me his Linux guru.

Interac Email Money Transfers are still my preferred method of accepting payments, though. I've had people rip me off in person because I was too trusting and figured they handed me the full amount ($20) when they actually handed me a rolled up ten and a rolled up five inside... For example. EMTs, I can see the amount beforehand, it's deposited immediately, no fuss, no muss. But that's just me.

I've been using Paypal for about five years now without any problems. I'm noticing more and more retail stores are accepting PP and that's a good thing. As your not giving out your credit card info on line and have the option w/PP of setting up your account that you may select either paying from your bank account or credit card and PP takes care of the payment securely for you.