Frabill ice rod's

GBW

aw man... :wallbash:

Hey Phil, have I told you today?!?!?!

Man I have to get me one of those rod's and the price, damn you!

But, I have to wait and see what Santa get's for me first. (I hope it's a Fenwick!)

Ha! the Fenwick Elites are a wicked ice rod IMO. That's why they are in my store. Sinclair liked them I think.

See ya on the 26th ;)

Guest chase4chrome

Ha! the Fenwick Elites are a wicked ice rod IMO. That's why they are in my store. Sinclair liked them I think.

See ya on the 26th ;)

Dude--awesome Christmas card (I always knew there was something "fishy" about Santa....)

post-8820-132335469004_thumb.jpg

They are beeeeeaaauuuuuuty rods!

$26 for the Fenwick Elite, with a $19 Sienna 500FD = the best ice rod you can build under $50

I've got two of the Fenwick Elites, and three Siennas. Two are spooled with 12lb (6lb mono eq) TufLine Braid, and the third with 10lb (4lb mono eq) Nanofil.

GAME ON!

(Now we just need ice)

Looking forward to some reviews of the Nanofil for ice fishing. The Duracast Tuf-Line is an amazing ice line.

At that price point I'd be looking at the St Croix ice rods with the selectable spring indicator system! I don't think they are really for huge walleye or lakers, but they are a great rod for smaller walleye and panfish.

Fit it with a spinning reel that has a graphite spool (such as an Abu cardinal series).

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/legend_ice_rods

Edited by scugog

The idea is to get away from the spinning reel to avoid line twist.

What are you doing to get line twist? I dunno, I've drilled a few holes in my time, and never had any problems with line twisting?? I think I'd rather have the high speed retrieve and smooth drag of a quality spinning reel myself.

S.

i used a flyreel for the first time last season. i could take or leave it

after trying it once in 25ft i would not use it in more then 10- 15ft ever again

for gills in shallow water it's great

i use 1 lb test on a reel with no drag, just a clicker and i have never broke off.

buy a cheap spool of 50lb or higher test to fill the spool so you have some line pick up

The idea is that even a small amount of twist in the line can cause "jig spin" and I have witnessed it - a micro tube jig sitting in the water rotating.

A smart line manufacturer would sell that as an advantage. :)

ok, someone just give me a fly reel then to test this out. mine's at the cottage burried away in the back of the boathouse and I can't get at it because the boat's now in there too. then after a trip or two or three on the ice I'll report back as to how it did. that and I need Phil to get me a Fenwick ice rod to "demo" with it too... :whistling:

Hey, I don't have a problem with small spinning reels, just relaying what's been said by Frabill and outdoors writers, so don't shoot the messenger :P.

The idea is that even a small amount of twist in the line can cause "jig spin" and I have witnessed it - a micro tube jig sitting in the water rotating.

Sinclair, to avoid line twist... just tie a small barrel swivel between your main line and lead ;):whistling: That's what I do and works fine :)

Thanks Jacques, but I don't have a problem LOL...just relaying information. :)

I used to tie a leader with a swivel, but I had a swivel get stuck in a crack on the bottom edge of the ice while bringing up a fish...now I'm paranoid :ninja:

LOL OK :good:

I can say 100% confidence , because I have spent hours and hours watching lures with an underwater camera

that perch(that are not suicidal) will not bite a lure like a rapala ice jig when it is spinning around because of line twist

I have also notice that many perch will hit a swivel so put it as far away from the lure as you can