Frabill ice rod's

GBW

Hey all.

I'm looking at maybe adding to the Christmas wish list with a new frabill straight line ice combo. the reel looks like a fly or centerpin reel but it does have drag built in. anyone hold one and play with it yet? I know the odds of someone doing real testing with it yet is slim but no harm in asking I guess. the reel is said to reduce line twist and after jigging all day for pan fish I can see it being a big plus but just not to sure. so comments and thoughts are welcome (other wise I wouldn't have posted it)

PS, Christmas is coming and I know there are many of you out there that maybe forgot to ask me what I can use or would like... :whistling:

thanks.

Geoff

Geoff, it looks good to me except that I find it on the pricey side. The reason they say it reduces line twist is only because it's a direct line feed like a baitcaster and not a spinning reel. I just looked at it again.....it's not pricey, it's dang expensive for what it is. But I'm sure it'll sell.

Just looked at it on Cabelas.ca - 70.00 pre-tax & shipping!

I've sold quite a few discounted fly reels to guys wanting them for just that application. I thought they were ill advised at best but the customer is always right! Now that I see this I'm thinking maybe they were ahead of their time. :clapping: Time to go thru my stock again and get a bunch more ready! Pretty sure you'd get the same effects & performance for a lot less money. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup_anim:

Michael

Yes they are pricey, it is a small centerpin reel on a ML rod. I have seen them, I have some orderd for the store but only because a few have requested them. I can't see many stores carrying much stock but they do look neet. I would be worried about setting the hook and having it birds nest on ya or when ya toss it down to land the fish having it spool out... I like the idea of the fly reel on a rod, at least then ya got a drag...

RED

The happy news is that seeing as they're trying to make them look like a pin to sell them for more, we'll be seeing lots of them pictured next to fish in this winter's ice reports.

Half in the hole with a snow flake beside it. :D