company christmas party

jedimaster

Does anyone else hate going to company Christmas parties or is it just me? I just hate doing to fake smile appreciative thing. I mean yah hang out with some of the guys from work and go to the bar an grab a pint and hockey game, no problem. but the whole contrived situations make me cringe.

off my soap box

No issues here, although for economic reasons, we didn't have one last year and none planned for this year. I work for a large family-owned business and the owners are very personable and approachable. Very fortunate to work for the family that I do and, after 30+ years here, I'm wouldn't want to work anywhere else. I've always been treated very well over the years.

Maybe its time to look for a new jobwhistling.gif

Christmas parties are sposed to help employees get to know one another, and for the bosses to get to know the employees better too.Its a time for management to give a little something back to the workers, to say thanks !!!clapping.gif

I take my guys out for the best steaks money can buy, and each gets a 500 tax free bonus, every year. No complaints so far.

Yah I guess I just haven't worked for a company that I really liked. Part of being in and running an IT department is that most companies want us to be kept at arms length. Actually the last place I worked at I really enjoyed the staff, too bad the man there decided they wanted to outsource the dept..

Maybe its time to look for a new jobwhistling.gif

Christmas parties are sposed to help employees get to know one another, and for the bosses to get to know the employees better too.Its a time for management to give a little something back to the workers, to say thanks !!!clapping.gif

I take my guys out for the best steaks money can buy, and each gets a 500 tax free bonus, every year. No complaints so far.

Any openings???

Ive only ever worked for myself......or in small companies. So ive never experienced the "corporate" type of christmas party i think your talking about. But i probably wouldnt be big on them either.

Im used to just doing a small inter-office luncheon with co-workers which works out just fine. We all know mostly everything there is to know about each other lol, so theres no ice-breaking or mingling necassary :)

If you feel that strongly about it, don't go. You'll feel much better about being honest with yourself and everyone else in party mode will have a better time. Company functions were always a good gauge as to which people played well with others. Which were teams players and which were just players.

Maybe its the demographic and circumstances that don't sit well with me this year. Smallest company I have worked for(in terms of people), laid off the only people I talked to on a regular basis within the last 3 weeks, all bonus's cancelled without telling anyone, bonus time just came and went. Now I am one of the only male left here outside of the management that are quickly starting to outnumber the staff. Management has made a gigantic leap this year to run the place like a large corporation with only a hand full of staff, so its been a pretty awkward year for everyone still standing.

Just one of those things I guess.

I think I'll have to be a game time decision this year, certainly don't want to be the sour grape in the bowl of egg nog.

Been to a few, some were good but going to Sue's company Christmas parties were hard for me. She worked for the town and I found it awkward tryng to socialize with people that had totally different intrests than I did.

When I owned my own business I always tried to make it about family. We would rent a restuarant, bring the kids, presents for the kids, cash bonuses for the employes, order what ever you wanted from the menu but you bought your own booze (for legal reasons). If you wanted to drink we provided rides too and from. It was all about showing the employees and their famlies how much we appreciated what they did for us over and above the day to day stuff.

this is exactly the reason you DO want to go....weird + trying to dress up + bringing even weirder spouse + alcohol = recipe for disaster (aka great people watching)

I see this on the 404 every day for an hour and a half each way. the last thing I want to do is be stuck in a room with all of them.

this is exactly the reason you DO want to go....weird + trying to dress up + bringing even weirder spouse + alcohol = recipe for disaster (aka great people watching)

Maybe so, maybe so.....BUT all of my coworkers are Muslim.

If I tried to throw a staff Christmas party some of them would probably charge me with religious discrimination. :lol:

We never had a company party, but we always had a huge roast beef feast with all the fixins in the firehall just before Christmas. We were all friends so there were never really any bosses.

Then we always prayed the bell never rang before we finished eating :lol: