Ice Hut Build

Fishnwire

GREAT report....GREAT pics....nice to see the Canadian Ice Resort in service.... :clapping:

Thanks Bob. I wanted to put your reflective decals up, but it was raining a little and the shack was wet. Maybe I'll try to find some metal backings for them like you suggested.

Nice going.

Any concerns of water on the floor rotting the plywood?

Jiggy

It's pressure treated, will only get wet from one side, and once I have the wood stove going it will dry out a lot faster than now with a propane heater usually on it's lowest setting. I might paint it this summer when I re-stain the outside walls.

It's something to think about, so I'll do that. Thanks.

Thanks Bob. I wanted to put your reflective decals up, but it was raining a little and the shack was wet. Maybe I'll try to find some metal backings for them like you suggested.

They will stick FOREVER on metal....not sure how long on wood....get some roofing flashing, it's super thin and will hold the reflectors well.

It's pressure treated, will only get wet from one side, and once I have the wood stove going it will dry out a lot faster than now with a propane heater usually on it's lowest setting. I might paint it this summer when I re-stain the outside walls.

It's something to think about, so I'll do that. Thanks.

Since you have gone this far....just don't paint the inside....paint a murral on the inside walls....you could get very creative and it will be very unique to say the least....maybe someone fishing out of a boat or palm trees for a setting or ALL white and just say it's a blizzard scene...LOL

Graet job on the ice hut.

We had issues with ours because of the weight and finally sold it last year.

Cherish these moments with your father in-law. Take lots of pics and video. You won't regret it.

I honestly think I'm the only person my father in-law like talking to. He was a quiet man. His kids would greet him, but never actually have a conversation with him. He would wait for me to visit when he had things to do around the house or just for my input. I would fix things as best I could with his very limited tool collection or return with my own arsenal to get the job done right. He called his 3 sons vagabonds. They were a waste of space in his eyes.

I can't disagree !!! :w00t:

He passed away 6 years ago when my wife was 2 weeks away from giving birth to our 3rd child. She is the last of eight grandchildren. Now I'm left to deal with the waste of space by myself. Haven't spoken a word to one of the vagabonds for 4 years. I'll have to sit with them tomorrow evening for a relatives' wedding reception/dinner.

Lucky me ! <_<

At least if my father in-law was there, I'd have someone at the table worth talking to besides my wife. I miss him dearly.

To top it off, I'll be missing my daughter's first rep hockey playoff game. :angry:

Best part of the story right here... don't ever forget that!

IMG_0651.jpg

I'm one of those "rarities" that gets along better with my father-in-law than I do with anyone else.

Edited by Carp

I really should be in bed. Getting off working a night-shift rotation gave be a pain. I tried to stay up all day. I did some running around and got ready for tomorrow...but shortly after I came home at around 2pm and started sitting around I felt like taking a nap. Seven hours later I woke up, and now (2am) I'm not particularly tired...like I will be in 5 hours when my alarm goes off.

Tomorrow is another big day. The roofing steel, a bunch of firewood, and the stove are strapped on my trailer and the Jeep and truck are loaded. I hope to be at the shack by 10am or so (still gotta pick up bait and propane, get the trailer at my Father-in-law's, then drive for over an hour) and we'll start on the stove/stove pipe installation. Depending on how long that takes (and the wind) we'll bang off the metal for the roof later that day or early the next. I have a couple little things to do on the inside, a light to install on the outside, and my reflectors to put up...and then I'm pretty much done.

I'm planning on taking it down river to a spot I know (I hope) will be more productive. Even if the fishing is poor, at least I'll be comfy while not catching fish.

Pics to come.

OK...I'm gonna force myself to go to sleep now.

As soon as my vacation is over, I'll have time for an update...

I've spent seven of the last eight nights there. I'm at home tonight but will be back on the ice tomorrow and plan on spending four nights in a row.

The shack is awesome but the fishing has been somewhat poor.

I'll post some pics and submit a decent update in a week or so.

I've spent seven of the last eight nights there. I'm at home tonight but will be back on the ice tomorrow and plan on spending four nights in a row.

Your wife must be lovin the new ice shack...

In a week or so?????

What's up with that???? Come on, put the rods down and spend an afternoon in your chair looking at your computer monitor. You owe it to us!

Nah, just kidding. If had the choice between fishing or uploading pictures to create a post for everyone to enjoy, I would take the fishing first too.

Looking forward to the post...

Cheers, Ron...

Well, I spent most of the last two weeks at the hut. The fishing wasn't fantastic, but the experience was exactly that. I put the stove in and installed the metal on the roof...I have plans for another shelf or two, but I'm comfortable saying the shack is finished. I've even got a perfect spot picked out on the shore of my buddy's place where I will summer the shack, so I'm all set.

I guess the first thing I'll mention is that I'm really happy with the insulated planks I made to use to block up the shack. They are just 10 foot pressure treated 2x8s with high density foam board glued to the bottoms. I had hoped by placing the insulated side (which doesn't conduct heat) down it would idiot the rate at which they freeze into the ice. It seems to work pretty well. I just jack up one side of the shack at a time, slide in a plank, and lower it down. I left the shack like that for about five days and when I returned I was able to break the seal between them and the ice (once I jacked the shack up of course) by just kicking them with my boot.

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

The first time I stayed in the shack the wood stove was not installed, so I was heating with propane. The first thing we did this time was get it into place. My neighbour built me a collar for the stove pipe out of ducting steel, and I filled it with that fireproof "Rockwool" insulation.

IMG_0662.jpg

I put the stove where I wanted it, measured where the stove pipe hole would need to be and marked it. Then I pulled the stove out of the way, marked where the collar would go and cut out the ceiling panel.

IMG_0663.jpg

Then I cut out the insulation in the ceiling.

IMG_0664.jpg

I cut the hole in the roof about 3/4 inch smaller than the collar and ceiling hole so that I'd have something to screw the collar to. I remember thinking, "Holy crap...I just cut a huge hole in my perfectly good roof!"

IMG_0666.jpg

Then we put the collar in, and with the Old Man pushing up on in from the inside, I got on the roof and put screws down into it, pulling it up into place.

IMG_0667.jpg

Then the stove pipe...also I re-hung the heat shield which I had to take down because it was in the way of the sabre saw.

IMG_0672.jpg

Then we put a piece of 1/2 thick cement tile board in the space where the roof was removed, to bring up that space to the level of the rest of the roof.

IMG_0669.jpg

Finally I put the snow-cap on.

IMG_0670.jpg

And we were ready to have our first fire in the shack...

IMG_0675.jpg

I kept the fire fairly low for a while, only putting one or two small pieces of wood at a time in, and I kept checking the collar, heat shield, and wood around them. Everything was staying cool, and even though it was already too hot in the shack, I loaded the stove right up. It didn't take long for the temperature in the shack to get ridiculous...quite literally "like a sauna". I noticed though that with the stove rockin' out loud like that, the collar and paneling beside the heat shield started getting alarmingly hot. The thing is, there's absolutely no need to have that big a fire anyway. Even with the shack around 30 degrees C the collar and paneling stay cool. If I ever got the stove glowing red though...I'd probably burn the shack down.

The other problem with the stove is that the top doesn't really get hot enough to cook on. If you leave a pot or kettle of water on there, it will eventually boil...but it took me about twenty minutes to make a grilled cheese sandwich, and I had to resort to putting the pan right in the stove for the last minute or so to get the bread to brown. My Father-in-law tried cooking bacon on it one morning. It made the shack smell great, but even after about a half hour, the bacon was far from crispy.

IMG_0684.jpg

The next time I went to town I picked up a two-burner propane stove that gets so hot it boils ice-cold water in about three minutes. I'm real happy with it.

The first thing I did when I got back to the shack after that supply run was remove the (now cool) stove pipe so I could put the metal for the roof on. We were lucky to get a good day for it...sunny and not too much wind. It went well. I've got just the amount of overhang I want and with the addition of some high-temp silicon around the hole for the stove pipe, is water-tight.

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

So here is the shack in its completed glory!!!

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Here's the inside...it's pretty messy.

IMG_0712.jpg

In case you're wondering, "Are those your pants on the bunk behind your laptop?"...the answer is, "Yes. Yes they are." I like ice fishing in my socks and underwear.

IMG_0713.jpg

The leather chair is the best seat in the house, and it is offered to whomever is the guest of honour.

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

As I mentioned, the fishing has not been great. I caught (and released) around a dozen pike in the 1-4 lb range, a bunch of little crappie and perch, and this one pike that was worth taking a pic of.

IMG_0688.jpg

I also caught one really nice crappie that I had my Father-in-law take a picture of me with, but the photo is beyond terrible. I even told him to take three...and they are all out of focus and off-frame. He cannot seem to take a good picture even with it set to auto. How is that possible?

Well I guess that's the end of my "Ice Hut Build" thread. Thanks to everyone who offered up advice or lent a hand, and thanks for checking out the thread.

THIS MAY BE NONE OF MY BUISNESS...JUST SAY SO BUT I'M INTERESTED IN A TALLY SO FAR...

This may be none of my business...but is there something wrong with the "Caps Lock" button on your keyboard?

Virtual shouting aside...if you count things like the generator, power-box, cook-stove, and the tilt-and-load fee, I'm in somewhere around three grand. I should have it for years though and planned on spending (almost) that much from the beginning, so I'm OK with it. The wife hasn't voiced any objections either, so I'm all good.

I really should be in bed. Getting off working a night-shift rotation gave be a pain. I tried to stay up all day.

Pics to come.

OK...I'm gonna force myself to go to sleep now.

I have pity on you my friend. I did it for many years! No family life what so ever. We would actually drive to Simcoe after doing the graveyard Friday night, get on the ice at 3 pm Sat and fall asleep at 9. Not a good way to go.

Good luck with the hut, you've been at it for a while. Force to sleep good luck.

A

Stand up and take a bow :clapping: and give the ole man a pat on the back....may you ALL enjoy this "Shack" for decades to come

on a side note....is that a Bully in the guest of honour chair???? if so....i can relate...i have one too that sometimes lets me sleep in my bed

Cheers and may the fish gods reward your efforts!!