Ice Hut Build

Fishnwire

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i wouldn't sweat all the critics. there's always a couple of :asshat: OFC'ers who are experts on everything.

post pics of all your success this winter just to prove them wrong.

i wouldn't sweat all the critics. there's always a couple of :asshat: OFC'ers who are experts on everything.

post pics of all your success this winter just to prove them wrong.

Doc, I can't understand why you would say that....first all the critics are giving their advice via through years of experience to help Kyle, its up to him if he chooses to use or not use the suggestions that were posted.....second the OP asked for all forms of comments....this is his quote from his very first post, "All forms of feedback are encouraged"....third why post something like this if you didn't want to hear the comments.

Doc, I can't understand why you would say that....first all the critics are giving their advice via through years of experience to help Kyle, its up to him if he chooses to use or not use the suggestions that were posted.....second the OP asked for all forms of comments....this is his quote from his very first post, "All forms of feedback are encouraged"....third why post something like this if you didn't want to hear the comments.

You're right Bob...In fact if you look back a couple of posts you'll see where I said...

"Thanks skeeter. I have numerous times encouraged all forms of feedback, but could do without the "Good luck buddy, you'll need it" type comments. I suppose in more ways than one, I'm asking for them."

I guess I'm getting a little tired of repeatedly going over "What am I thinking!?!" having explained my particular situation many times. Also, while everyone appreciates helpful advise, most don't appreciate it so much when the giver comes off like they're saying, "You're an idiot, and here's why..." There haven't been too many comments like that, but on both the forums I've posted the thread there have been a few. I guess I was just in a bad mood and decided to respond to what I saw (rightfully or wrongfully)as one such comment.

No decals in the mail yet, Bob. The X-mas rush must be holding them up. I'll let you know though. Thanks again.

Soooo.... any progress?

Just asking cause I'm looking out my door at a very slushy Pigeon Lake.

I've got one more nightshift to do this evening and then have four days off.

We put the first of three 1/4" OSB panels up on the ceiling a couple of days ago but haven't done anything since. We'll finish that and do the walls over the next few days.

Bob...I just got your decals in the mail. They look like they'll do the trick. Thanks again.

Holy Smokes:) I started skipping through posts about page six in anticipation of seeing a finished hut a the end of the thread! ;)

Your doing a great job! Hut is going to last a hundred years and will be worth every penny with the years of enjoyment you'll get from it:)

Good thread!

Edited by LesCulpJr

Holy Smokes:) I started skipping through posts about page six in anticipation of seeing a finished hut a the end of the thread! ;)

Your doing a great job! Hut is going to last a hundred years and will be worth every penny with the years of enjoyment you'll get from it:)

Good thread!

Yeah...the build (and the thread) have gone on a little longer and become more involved than I had anticipated. There's not sufficient ice to accommodate a tow vehicle yet so in that sense there's no big rush. More importantly, I'm enjoying every minute of it. I'm WAY past the point of no return now...so a completed shack is only a matter of time. Anyone who bothers reading even the first six pages of this thread deserves seeing pics of a finished shack on the ice. They're coming...I promise.

This has turned out to be the MUST READ THREAD.

Thanks. Can't wait to see what the Old Man has done while you're at work.

Jiggy

Thanks for checking the thread out.

I wouldn't count on seeing much progress since I started my last rotation at work. It's nearly impossible for one person to put up ceiling panels alone, plus he said he was feeling crappy for a couple of days. Hopefully he's better today because I just got off work and will be heading over when the sun comes up.

Iv'e been watching this thread right from teh get go.

Looking for pointers?

Here's one...

Pick yourself up some trailer jacks and place one on each corner. You can then easily jack it up to set blocks underneath so it will not freeze in. This was not my idea but an idea I saw from the huts of BJ Tackle in Bewdley. I got pictures, I will post it later on.

Cheers, Ron...

I hope that your helper feels better soon. I have no constructive info to give you because of the lack of ice down here. When it is all said and done the joy of the build should be cherished as much as the time spent using it.

Art

Iv'e been watching this thread right from teh get go.

Looking for pointers?

Here's one...

Pick yourself up some trailer jacks and place one on each corner. You can then easily jack it up to set blocks underneath so it will not freeze in. This was not my idea but an idea I saw from the huts of BJ Tackle in Bewdley. I got pictures, I will post it later on.

Cheers, Ron...

I'm always looking for pointers...

I've got a two-ton "jack-all" that I plan on using to get my blocks in and out. I might look at installing trailer jacks in the future, but not this year. I'd like to get a look at those pics if you find them.

I hope that your helper feels better soon. I have no constructive info to give you because of the lack of ice down here. When it is all said and done the joy of the build should be cherished as much as the time spent using it.

Art

He was feeling good enough today to finish off the ceiling with me. Update to follow.

I can't begin to describe the enjoyment I've got from this little project. Lots of fun...I hope that comes through in the thread.

Update...Jan 1

We finished paneling the roof. It went well and I'm happy with how it looks. The seams are perfect.

IMG_0534.jpg

I was planning on using something other than OSB to panel the walls but after seeing it on the ceiling I'm going to use it on the walls. We went and picked up what we'll need and put it in the shack.

IMG_0537.jpg

You may notice in that pic that we also foamed the gaps around the two sliding windows today. I had bought two cans but only needed part of one so I used the rest in the corners between the nailers. The place is nicely insulated and (with the hole covers temporarily screwed down) draft free. I've got this heater...

IMG_0535.jpg

...and ran it on high for about 20 minutes. I had to turn it down to low after a while because it was getting too hot in there. I've got one of those wireless outside/inside temperature gauges set up on the shack and noticed this...

IMG_0536.jpg

A thirty degree difference in temperature between the outside and inside. I'm thinking I'll be happy I've got those sliding windows once the wood stove is rockin'. I might need the door open too.

That'll be it for a couple of days. There's a ton of work at the mine my boss is panicking to get done so he's letting us work as much OT as we want. With Christmas just over and a few things such as metal roofing yet to purchase, I can't turn down the opportunity to work. Building a switchroom 5000 feet underground isn't as much fun as building an ice shack, but it pays a little better.

Edited by fishNwire

Looking at all the insulation you have installed in the Ice Resort I knew you would have no problem heating that puppy....that wood stove is going to drive you out unless you learn to regulate it by air flow into the stove. I have a wood stove in my living room and it heats the whole house without a problem....but when I first got it and I was a green horn on operating it, well we many times had several window open to bring the temps back down below 75 degrees.

I'm thinking all you will need is a zippo lighter for heat.... :thumbsup_anim:

A little update...Jan 8

I had only one day off this week, Thursday. I had a few other things to do so didn't get to the build until after noon. We started paneling the walls with 1/4 inch OSB. I had previously planned on using something a lot nicer, like the "Alpine White Oak" interior paneling I saw at Lowe's...but it's $20 a sheet and 1/4 OSB is about $6. If I was making this decision near the beginning of the build instead of near the end, I'd almost certainly have gone with the more expensive option, but with the budget beginning to stretch thin, I decided to "cheap out". I think it looks OK. Pretty good even. Here's the first wall two-thirds completed...

IMG_0538.jpg

And here it is finished. There's a quartz light on in the shack...just in case you think it's on fire.

IMG_0541.jpg

One down, three to go. By the time we finished that one the Old Man wanted to call it a day so I had a beer with him inside and then went back out and put the hole covers in. They are 3/4 plywood with two inch wide strips for the hinges. They lay flat and flush and hinge up out of the way. I still need to put deadbolts on but I don't won't to be tripping over them and their saddles while I'm still working in there. I think I'll glue some circles made out of my left-over insulation to the bottoms too.

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

I've got at least two more days of high voltage construction underground, so the shack will have to wait. I should be able to finish the paneling on my next days off, depending on how many of them I get.

Thanks for checking in.

How big are the holes in the hut, you want them a fair bit bigger then your auger. When you need to re open the holes after they freeze up you don't always drill straight.

They are a little over ten inches, and my auger is eight. It's funny you mention it because right before I was about to cut the first one I had a "brain-fart" and became unsure whether the Jiffy is eight or ten inch. I had to dig it out to be sure.

I'll probably just shift it over a few feet and drill fresh holes when the old ones freeze up. I have a "no re-drills" policy I've enforced on that Jiffy since I got it and the blades cut as well as they did when I bought it three years ago. It has those "stealth" blades, but I still don't take any chances.

I noticed that my Dad and I had identical hand augers that he would sharpen at the start of each year and his would cut better for longer than mine. He drilled more holes than me but only fresh ones, so now that's what I do...hand or power auger.

I have the jiffy with the stealth blades. Been reopening holes for the last 3 winters with it and still the first set of blades on it. Doesn't care that you are opening old holes, cuts through no problem. Most auger you shouldn't but the jiffy's you can and not hurt them. You meet find that it is a lot of work to move the hut a few feet if you have snow and slush.

I have the jiffy with the stealth blades. Been reopening holes for the last 3 winters with it and still the first set of blades on it. Doesn't care that you are opening old holes, cuts through no problem. Most auger you shouldn't but the jiffy's you can and not hurt them. You meet find that it is a lot of work to move the hut a few feet if you have snow and slush.

If there is snow and slush and the shack has been sitting in the same place long enough for the holes under it to freeze...that's a good time to move it and re-block it. I have 2x8s with one inch HD foam board on the bottom (I'm hoping this will idiot them sinking/freezing into ice...worth a try anyway) for when the shack is being used, and am planning on making bigger blocks to get it a good eight inches to a foot off the ice when I'm not there. I've got a two ton "jack-all" so lifting/shifting it a foot or two shouldn't (?) be too hard, and worth the effort if it minimizes the risk of freeze-in.

That's good to know about the Jiffy blades. I might be less of a "re-drill Nazi" learning that. I know it does my hand auger no favours...especially when I get to the uneven ice at the bottom and resort to backing the blade up and ramming it repeatedly to get it through. I've seen a hand auger advertized as being made to re-drill holes, but that's not the kind I have.

I think the foam insulation looked better than OSB. We should all contribute Sunshine Girl posters to help with the wall paper.

Even my wife has started to read your epic thread. She said 2 things that I found funny.

1. That's something my dad would build. -- real high praise. Her old man is a construction worker.

2. She's looking forward to reading about "the maiden voyage of the Titanic."

Jiggy

Edited by sleepjigging

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but i can see a few things you will change once you get it on the ice. I'm just going to keep my mouth shut for now, though. I learned my lessons the hard way, and after offering some sound advice, that you don't want to take, I'll let you figure it out the same way :)

I'm enjoying the thread, and can't wait to see this beast on the ice!

S.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but i can see a few things you will change once you get it on the ice. I'm just going to keep my mouth shut for now, though. I learned my lessons the hard way, and after offering some sound advice, that you don't want to take, I'll let you figure it out the same way :)

I'm enjoying the thread, and can't wait to see this beast on the ice!

S.

Sinker, PM him your suggestions. He requested all input and comments.

I already offered some sound advice, but he doesn't want to take it. He will figure it out, just like I did 20 years ago when I started with my first big hut!! If ya can't learn the hard way, you'll never learn at all!

S.