Ice Hut Build

Fishnwire

Looks good and comfy.. Can't wait to see some pics of it on the ice!!

One suggestion: maybe if you have the time and resources, I would suggest painting the inside with a quick coat of white paint.. It would make it brighter at night.

Sure wish I was on the 5-4 schedule too, to have more time for fishing!! I sometimes envy you guys working underground.

Edited by GYPSY400

Sure wish I was on the 5-4 schedule too, to have more time for fishing!! I sometimes envy you guys working underground.

And I'm envious of people who don't have to wait for an unreliably on-time cage ride to bring them to surface at the end of the day. I've missed appointments or been late for stuff because of it more than once.

I could never go back to 8 hour days, Monday to Friday. Two days off is not enough...not nearly enough. Even a three day weekend is too short. My four day weekends are pretty good, but my five days off are when I can really have some fun. When I go on vacation I take it a week at a time and schedule it so that it lies between two five day off periods and get 11 to 14 consecutive days off, three times a year. That part is real nice.

I have a hard time remembering why I even bothered to go to camp (or anywhere) on Saturday, just to have to turn around and come out on Sunday.

When I go on vacation I take it a week at a time and schedule it so that it lies between two five day off periods and get 11 to 14 consecutive days off, three times a year. That part is real nice.

I have a hard time remembering why I even bothered to go to camp (or anywhere) on Saturday, just to have to turn around and come out on Sunday.

Normal vacations are really 9 days in a row off any ways.........

When I worked on the railroad I got 6 weeks of vacation.....so come summer months I would take off 1 week (9 days) work the next week (5 days) take off the next week (9 days) work the next week (5 days) and keep doing that for the next 12 weeks or so....it was VERY easy going back to work after having off 9 days knowing you only have to work 5 days and you're off ANOTHER 9 days again and again and again...well you get the picture.....for anyone that can schedule it that way (employer permitting) I HIGHLY recommend trying it next summer....and you will then do it every summer from then on....

And I'm envious of people who don't have to wait for an unreliably on-time cage ride to bring them to surface at the end of the day. I've missed appointments or been late for stuff because of it.

Yeah I hear ya.. When I was underground the cage was pretty consistent.. Was only late once ( just happened to be the day I had an appointment).. My biggest thing is not seeing the SUN!! I preferred to work night shift during the winter months just to get a few hours of sunshine.

If I could pursue my boss to go to a 5-4 schedule where I work at the shop, that to me would be the ultimate... Not much action on the lakes on wednesday's.!

Considering the weather we've had this weekend ( cold).. Launch day must be coming soon?

I've got a tilt-and-load tentatively scheduled for the 23rd...that's a week from today. I was worried that I might be over the height restriction once on the truck but just now confirmed it won't be a problem. It's basically ready to go. The rest of the work can be done on the ice.

No pics...but I put up two eight foot long 16 inch wide shelves and secured the reflective tin behind where the stove will go. I started wiring it too. I'm going to do the stationary bench/bunk in the next couple of days and I'll cut the hole for the stove the day before it hits the highway. The stove and stove pipe will be transported in the back of the truck and installed once on the ice. Then I'll do the flip-up bench/bunk and a couple more "accoutrements" like a flip-down kitchen counter and some more shelves. I might do an upper bunk later, but I want to use the shack and get a feel for whether or not it would be in the way. Also, the sooner I get it on the ice, the sooner I can be fish while working.

I'm close...very close.

Since the last update, some shelves are up, the shack is wired, the reflector for behind the stove in installed, and the inside of the door is paneled. I'll take some pics once I clean up a bit in there...it's a real mess.

I still need to install a tow bar at the front and back so I have somewhere to pull it from. Eventually I want to install a yoke at the back end with a tongue for a trailer hitch, but that will probably have to wait until next year. I couldn't get what I need for the tow bars on Saturday, so I'm hoping to pick that stuff up tomorrow morning and bang it off by the afternoon. There's a far amount of friggin' around involved...it'll be easier to show you some pics later than explain it now.

I had planned on moving it this Tuesday...but am thinking next Tuesday will be better. That way I'll be doing it at the beginning of my days off, and not at the end. It will give me time to do a few more things too.

Thanks for your interest and I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two.

Kyle couldn't make it to your shop. I was in our shop all day Sat. to get my gear ready as I just purchased a new ATV, so had to mount/fit my gear to it. Fished Nip today wasn't too bad 1 perch 11",1 small wally I released. Only fished from 1:00 -4:00. I was still doing final touch ups at 7:00 AM. Left Sudbury 10:00AM. Arrived Sunset Cove Rd round 1:00. Good luck on the launch. Side note. I'm a crane operator. Our company has cranes, boom trucks, trailers, floats etc. I don't set the prices. Call All Purpose Crane Rental.705-693-2004. We have the gear to move your "PALACE" LOL

any update? i want to see this beast on the ice!

I guess you didn't read all of this report from the 22nd.

I had planned on moving it this Tuesday...but am thinking next Tuesday will be better. That way I'll be doing it at the beginning of my days off, and not at the end. It will give me time to do a few more things too.

I guess you didn't read all of this report from the 22nd.

LOL nope didnt read that part thanks tho! B)

OK...so here's where I'm at now.

I put up two 16" x 8' shelves. I made them to accommodate my hole inserts on the top shelf and my open lap-top on the bottom.

IMG_0546.jpg

I put up the reflector for behind the stove...

IMG_0548.jpg

There's a few inches clearance at the bottom and where it's attached to the walls I spaced it out the width of a 1/4 nut. It should keep the corner from catching fire, and doesn't look too bad, considering it was a piece of scrap I got for nothing.

IMG_0547.jpg

I still need to cut the hole for the stove but will wait until it's on the ice. I'll transport the stove in the back of the truck, not in the shack.

I'm done all the wiring. It's all 120V, but my lighting is LED. My buddy (another electrician) got me the fixtures at a price that made me not ask where they came from. There's one at either end of the shack and they are independently controlled. I also put in a switch and ran a cable for an outside light, which I'll install later. There are five receptacles on the inside and one on the outside. If you plug a generator, inverter, or power-pack into any of them (with a male/male cord) the whole shack is live.

I need to mention that OFNer Spouph made good on his intention to stop by and lend a hand. His presence was of great value on the job, and we had a great discussion and good-spirited difference of opinion, the subject and content of which I'll not bring up here...for fear of getting the thread locked. Fun time though. Thanks for your help with the wiring and I'll make sure you get your strippers back, Jeff.

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

In the second pic you can see I put the framing for a couple more shelves in the corner. You may also notice my satellite radio boom box...which I ran the cord for the receiver to the outside when I ran my exterior light. Three bars! Howard Stern rules.

You can also see on that pic that I framed the door, put all the hardware on it and installed a door stop. There was a little bit of air getting through the crack around the door before, but now not even light gets through. It's a good, tight seal.

IMG_0597.jpg

I finished a 6'2" permanent bench/bunk, and started the (approx) 5'6" flip-up bench/bunk. It started with a (almost) 12 foot 2x4 screwed to the back wall at a top height of 18".

IMG_0605.jpg

I had to notch it where the cable is...

IMG_0606.jpg

Once I framed it (nothing in the middle...might put one in later) I screwed some 1/2 plywood the Old Man had laying around down and here it is. Sorry about all the stuff in the way.

IMG_0608.jpg

With only a few more little things to finish inside, we turned our attention to mounting something solid to the skis to pull from.

IMG_0600.jpg

I took out the last bolt on each ski. There's still plenty and a ton of glue in there, so I don't think they'll be missed.

IMG_0601.jpg

Then I reamed out the 1/2 holes to one inch, using a step-shaped spade bit.

IMG_0602.jpg

Then we cut 1 1/4 inch pipe to fit between the skis, and inserted 1 inch (that's right) threaded rod from one ski, through the pipe, and out the other, then put washers and nuts on.

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

Then I put one the exact same on the other side. They'll give me something solid the pull the thing from until I get an actual tow-yoke installed (next year?). I can also use them as somewhere to put my Jack-all when I need to lift the shack. The first thing I'll need one for is as a winch point when I lower it down the boat launch, so I'm ready for that now.

I even got my Ice Hut Registration from the MNR in the mail yesterday, so I'll be all nice and legal. Tuesday should be the day. I have to work until Sunday, so that will give me Monday to prepare, all day Tuesday for the move, and leave me Wednesday and Thursday to set things up. Then I have to work five night-shifts followed by 14 days in a row off. By the end of that time I'll have got some use out of it, I'm sure.

Don't worry. I'll take a bunch of pics...maybe even try out the video function on my camera.

Thanks for checking in.

F>W

ive never built an ice shack before....but ....do you think it might be wise to clad the bottom foot of the exterior plywood to keep it from delaminating with aluminium because when it is being towed out to site...im sure it going to get wet....does the bottom of the door have a treatment to it of some sort to stop it from swelling when the door is closed and sitting in snow or a puddle thats going to be inevitable from tracking it in...

im just thinking out loud....keep up the good work

edit to add..im sure even aluminum facia(6 inch) installed upside down would offer adequate propection but it would have to be caulked on the top

Edited by Twocoda