While we are on the subject of Reels

mercman

I'm looking to get a new line counter reel soon.Looking for something solid, reliable and that wont break the bank, or Santas budget.

I have a Daiwa Accudepth 27LC that i use for Walleye.Its an OK reel, but i dont like the drag star on it.It loosens up without notice, and the seconds it takes to re tighten, have cost me a few fish.I have to keep checking it to make sure it hasn't come loose.

I have been looking at Okuma Convectors, and Abu Ambassador line counters. I will be using it for precision trolling for deepwater musky next summer, so i want something that will take a hit.Has anyone had any experience with these or any other makes that may work for me.

Thanks for any info

Paul

Hey Paul,

If you are Right hand retrieve you have a lot more options then left hand retrieve. If it was me, I'd get the Shimano Tekota - no questions. Unfortunately they don't make them in Left Hand Retrieve so I use the Okuma Convector. I have a couple of the 20 size for lake trout and walleye and a 30 size that I used all fall for muskie. It held up really well, actually. I was surprised but we'll see what another few seasons does to it. For the price point, though, I can't complain if/when it dies......

Hey Paul,

If you are Right hand retrieve you have a lot more options then left hand retrieve. If it was me, I'd get the Shimano Tekota - no questions. Unfortunately they don't make them in Left Hand Retrieve so I use the Okuma Convector. I have a couple of the 20 size for lake trout and walleye and a 30 size that I used all fall for muskie. It held up really well, actually. I was surprised but we'll see what another few seasons does to it. For the price point, though, I can't complain if/when it dies......

Thanks. I cast with my right, and the rod is in my left hand usually before the lure hits the water.I"m only left retrieve with my spinning combos.Weird eh?dunno.gif

All of that being said Paul, LC reels are very useful but if you're buying it for muskie fishing on the Larry or the Ottawa, I think the LC feature limits your choices in quality reels for that application. If you MUST have one, I'd go with Ben's choice, the Tekota. Otherwise, get yourself a quality round reel with low gear ratio and a loud clicker. Also, if you ever want to use the setup for casting, the LC will usually just be in the way. You can usually see the dang bait from the boat when trolling so why the LC?

Here's an example: http://www.thenextbite.com/node/1773

so why the LC?

The line counter will not be my primary Musky reel. I have my Curado 300E which i will be casting with for now.Fact is, the person teaching me the art of Musky fishing, has discovered a successful pattern to catch numerous big fish at precise depths, at precise locations.As many have seen by his reports, it is a very successful pattern. I dont want to fork out a ton of money on this reel, since i will only be using it at certain times of the year, and only at this one location. But i want a decent work horse of a reel, able to take big hits, and get the fish quickly back to the boat. Hopefully, i will find someone else to teach me to fish them 10 feet from the boatwhistling.gifsmile.gif and maybe i will have my Tekota by thencool.gif

Thanks for that video Roy, i love Pete Mainaclapping.gif and hope to meet him some time.

All of that being said Paul, LC reels are very useful but if you're buying it for muskie fishing on the Larry or the Ottawa, I think the LC feature limits your choices in quality reels for that application. If you MUST have one, I'd go with Ben's choice, the Tekota. Otherwise, get yourself a quality round reel with low gear ratio and a loud clicker. Also, if you ever want to use the setup for casting, the LC will usually just be in the way. You can usually see the dang bait from the boat when trolling so why the LC?

Depends where your fishing roy...

In the thousand islands some guys are trolling up to 300 feet back...

I know on the Ottawa guys troll with as little as a leader out... But I don't know anybody that has caught a fish in clear water trolling like this... Also depends on how deep you fish...

I personally have found patterns trolling parts of the water column...Whether its in my head or there is something to it... Who knows...

But I've seen it make a difference and I would never buy a reel for trolling musky without a counter...

Especially if you don't require a multi use outfit...

I know most days a Muskie doesn't care how deep your lure is running... They will hit a topwater in 20 feet of water...

But for those fussy fish or tough days... I believe it makes a difference...

The Okuma Convector with out a doubt is the best LC reel for the dollar right now

I have a full fleet of them for my salmon/trout/walleye trolling applications and have not had a single issue yet in 4 yrs.

In the same price range, the Daiwa Sealine is a close second.

the okuma convector for the money is the best !!!! i have caught hundreds of salmon on lake ontario on them,and if they can handle a giant king going on a 300yard screaming run they will hold up to any muskies no problem....have been using them for years....but if have the coin the shimano tekota is the one for sure...and both have various sizes,.... :good::Gonefishing:

I use the Tekota 600LC and it does a great job with no issues.

It's an excellent reel both for trolling huge baits and also for cranking them back to the boat.

My next trolling reel will also be another Tekota 600LC

I used the convectors this summer, and think they are the best value for your dollar. However the Tekota is a better reel in my opinion. Unfortunately they do not come in a lefty, so they are not the reel for me. If is only a reel that you are going to pull out every now and then you can't go wrong with the convector. I know that rapala has put a lot of time and money into developing new products, so they may be worth looking into.

i agree with larry.. count passes or wraps, ditch the LC idea if you want to go lefty (or get the takota and deal with the wrong handedness) and avoid the convector (unless you view them as disposable reels). convector will last for a year or two but will fall apart if you troll with large baits (this is from experience). it's not the screaming 300 yard runs that kill a reel it's the constant pounding/resistance of the large lures used for deep water muskie fishing.

i now just use an old 7001 and count pulls.. distance from reel to 1st guide is 2 feet, 25 'pulls' = 50 feet back. the clicker will wake the dead on slow days.

Edited by Raf

And, probably the best reel for the money in this category not yet mentioned!

$100 - Cabelas Depthmaster Gold Linecounter

1-piece CNC Machined Aluminum Frame

Titanium Line Guide

Carbon Fiber Drag System

Machine-Cut Brass Gears

Optional Left Hand retrieve models available

clapping.gif

i think they have been mentioned as they look an awful lot like rebadged convectors.

i think they have been mentioned as they look an awful lot like rebadged convectors.

I thought that as well, but the Depthmaster Gold are WAY better quality than a Convector. I am still not sure who makes those reels for Cabelas, but I would lean towards Okuma. I just don't know what reel from the Okuma series it is...definately not Convector.

Convectors have crap drag and graphite frame...

Also, for everyone swearing that Tekota is the be all, end all of trolling reels. It's not entirely true anymore even though they are solid reels and I own a half-dozen of them. Just be sure to check out the Daiwa Saltist and even the Okuma Catalina before making your next Tekota purchase.

My only complaint with Tekota's is the fairly quiet clicker, and a drag that is literally too smooth (line slippage when trolling with dipsy-divers, planer boards, downriggers, etc)

Both of those problems are solved in the Daiwa Saltist, and you have the option for a very high-retrieve speed/rate on the Daiwa Saltist larger models (eg. 47 inches per handle turn)

Hope all this rambling helps others ;)

Tony

Edited by tonyb

I thought that as well, but the Depthmaster Gold are WAY better quality than a Convector. I am still not sure who makes those reels for Cabelas, but I would lean towards Okuma. I just don't know what reel from the Okuma series it is...definately not Convector.

Convectors have crap drag and graphite frame...

Interesting and agreed!

Perhaps its based off the catalina then and if so, it's a heckuva deal and lefty friendly. Looking at it more closely its almost a hybrid of the catalina and convector.

Edited by Raf