New Spinning reel

cynmar

keep it old school

Daiwa Whiskers in 1300 or light action 700 series. These are tanks, virtually indestructible and have the smoothest drag I've ever fished with.

Amen to that. They take a beating.

Edited by Harrison

Okay, I've got about $170.00 to spend on this reel and if I could make it to Gagnon's I'd think I'd purchase the Sustain 1000. I'm looking for a spinning reel for precision casting on the medium light to light rod for bassfishing. Hoping for something from 7-9 oz, so the Sustain and the Stradic FJ fit right in there. I hate to get Shimano biased in all my gear but damn:worthy: Thanks to all you gentlemen for your input. It has been helpful. Can you order the door crasher reels from Gagnon's and have them sent to you? Mike ??

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

Yup, Door Crasher Only. I have seen the bundles on the Compre's and Crucials. There are some nice rods to choose from. We have all the NEW Shimano rods on the floor so they old stuff has got to go. The last to see as the "Cork" Generation from Shimano.

There are lot's of reels there for the sale too with pleanty of spinning and a bunch of baitcast reels. Not to mention no tax throughout everything in the store.

http://www.gagnonsports.com/christmassale.html

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Hoping for something from 7-9 oz, so the Sustain and the Stradic FJ fit right in there.

I don't want to complicate your life here but I'd buy an FI over an FJ anytime. It's a better reel and it's less money.

As far as rods are concerned, I much prefer cork handles so I'd buy up a few of the Shimano rods being phased out. But that might just be a personal preference. Spiel is making my rods now anyhow so I probably won't be helping a retailer much in the rod department.

Thanks Roy, about the rods I have to agree. I much prefer a good cork handle rod over everything. I tried a bunch of rods when I bought my Citica from G Loomis, St Croix, E21, Daiwa, Shimano and ended up with the BPS crankbait rod mostly because the cork handle felt real good in the hand and the action was what I wanted. Unfortunately can't get to Gagnon's so I'll have to see what I can do about a new spinning reel.

Bill

FWIW I have a Stradic FI, and a Sustain FE...not much of a difference.

I have them both as well. I believe there are at least 2 differences: The sustain has a titanium lined spool, which means the line will come off the spool smother. Also the sustain has a ball bearing on the drag, which supposedly makes the drag smoother.

Personally I feel as though the sustain is just a little more refined, and I like the way it looks more as well.

keep it old school

Daiwa Whiskers in 1300 or light action 700 series. These are tanks, virtually indestructible and have the smoothest drag I've ever fished with.

I been a daiwa guy for a long time , the few times that I have had problems with any of their stuff have been treated great , most of the troubles (99%) were my or the person I let use them fault not the products and still theyfixed me up . the 700 whiskers will last for ever with just a little cleaning and a drop or two of oil now and than . All you want in a spinning reel, simple,no fancy gimmicks that will break down on the water , their tough dont explode when dropped , very smooth drag ,and made by a company that stands behind their stuff .

I don't want to complicate your life here but I'd buy an FI over an FJ anytime. It's a better reel and it's less money.

As far as rods are concerned, I much prefer cork handles so I'd buy up a few of the Shimano rods being phased out. But that might just be a personal preference. Spiel is making my rods now anyhow so I probably won't be helping a retailer much in the rod department.

Damn Roy just when I was starting to agree with ya (Daiwa) When you have as many rods as I and are stuffing them into lockers storeage boxes etc. 2 or 3 times the Capacity for storeage etc., cork chips , takes in a lot of water when submerged (by accident of course), and does not age well , Im old school and at first was glad to see cork make such a come back , but now looking back I can see why it went away and is now going there again . just me maybe but???

If there is indeed a cork shortage, I wonder if that's one of the reasons some manufacturers are switching to the split grips ?? Seems like it'd be a good way to cut down on the amount of cork they'd need.

I just ordered a new Compre musky rod for my daughter for Christmas and the split grip is the only way they come now.

I am pretty sure cork is being phased out due to supply / cost, not performance.

Might explain rod makers turning away now ,if indead there is a cork shortage , damn wine guys i guess , but like I said I think there is NEW materials now that shead water better , better grip , cork in the cold can I say slippery , and last the new stuff is LONG LASTING , sorry Speil and guys like ya, I will not need you to repair grips with great big pieces missing . Again eatch to his own but I need things that last with much abuse .