New Spinning reel

cynmar

Agreed, the Saros F is a very nice reel. One of the features I really like is the Direct Drive Mechanism (thread in handle attachment) which makes for a very solid feeling reel. I'm pretty sure most of the higher-end Pfluegers have that feature too. Quality of bearings over quantity, solid (rigid) body construction and a smooth drag are my main priorities over just one given brand.

One other thing to consider about the Shimano reels, the Stradics and higher have the Aero Wrap II (worm gear) system that provides better line lay/wrap. This really aids in casting and is a feature normally found on premium quality spinning reel. I'm pretty sure the Daiwa SS Tournaments (AKA Whisker reels) have this feature too but with no instant anti-reverse like a "modern" design reel. You can drop an SS Tournament in the creek (not recommended) and shake out the water and keep fishing---they are like the AK47 of reels in my opinion.

Just a suggestion, if you can find a deal on a "last year's" model Stradic I'd be grabbing that over the Saros but you can't go wrong either way.

Hope this helps you.