2011 bass fishing

msp

Hey guys,

I hope everybody is having a great fall chasing big fall fish. Now is the time to get em. Anyways, a hockey injury to my right elbow has cut my fishing season short unless I heal up quick for a couple more trips before things freeze up. I thought that I would post some of the better bass pictures from my 2011 season.

2011 bass season was a weird season for me. From opener till around mid August was pretty tough finding the big ones. I shouldnt complain because we were averaging bout 20 fish each day out, but not the size that we had last year. I think that having too many pre conceived notions about where the fish will be and what they will bite can be somewhat of a handycap.

Weedline and I fished 7 new lakes this year to keep thing interesting. It seems that whenever we fish a new lake we absolutly crush em. I think this is because we rely on our insticts and not on what they bit last year or where they used hold. The first new lake that we fished we targeted largies. Stifeling hot conditions, class calm water and no wind had me cranky and wondering if we made the right decision to visit this new lake. Persistance paid off when we found one weedbed about 60m long and 10 m wide that gave our flipping jigs and creature baits a ton of action. Over 30 bass came off 1 weedbed ! A 4.6 pounder for big fish of the day.

002-1-1.jpg

Our usual lakes didnt start showing big fish till around August. Most fish came off jigs and texas rigged creature baits like beavers and craws. Here are some pics

IMG_0323.jpg

001-2.jpg

This particular day altered my theories about weather paterns. The forcast for the day was 30km winds from the north and almost had me sleeping in and enjoying a day at home doing nothing. With Weedline twisting my rubber we decided to get out and face the wind and the rain. Im glad we did because the bite was on. These two fish came back to back within a 1/2 hour of each other. My first fish of the season over 5 came off a 1/2 oz jig and pig

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

I mainly consider myself a largemouth type of guy. Most of my bass fishing is spent chasing those green buggers. I love the places they live , their eating habits and the lures and tackle that you catch them on.

But, when when its a good smallmouth bite you just cant fight it. Thes last couple of trips out we had fished 2 new lakes with the intention that we would boat a giant largie.

This new lake that we fished seemed to look more like a smallie lake with steep shorelines, rock piles and island points.

After exploring the north end of the lake while I threw a jerkbait and Weedline throwing a jig, we came up with only dink smallies. One last shot at the shallow end of the lake a small rock pile was holding the motherload of smallies. Something about the way a smallie smashes a jerkbait or spinnerbait is something else. When we found the smallies that were very eager to bite I wondered why I dont target smallies as often as I should. Especially with Simcoe being so close to home. Note to self...... Fish smallies more often next Year ! Here is a pic of the big fish of the day. An even 5 that hit a tube jig (which was the throw back bait after following the jerkbait to the boatside )

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

After exhausting the only spot on the lake that seemed to hold fish we decided to hit one more familiar lake in the area for the late day bite. Back at the launch we ran into a few locals that were taking their boat out of the water. With largies still on the brain we asked.... " any largies in this lake ? "

The local was very freindly and told us " if you want largies go check out the next lake over. Theres plenty of lagies in there " Music to my ears. After a short detour trying to find the launch we finally were on the water exploring lake #2 for the afternoon. Again with largies on the brain and a flipping jig in hand the only fish that we could buy were smallies.

Out came the jerkbaits and tubes and soon enough we were smashing the smallies with a new favorite fall hotspot. After the amount of action at the new lake we decided to hit it agian the next weekend. Weedline has been raping it ever since with multiple trips during the week while Im strapped to my desk at work dreaming of the hard hitting smallies that reside in this lake. Plenty of great fish in the 4 # range. Here are a couple of my nice ones.

IMG_0377-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

A couple more largie trips this November saw great numbers of fish but the action has really slowed down. I dont have many pictures of Weedlines bass season so I will let him post his pics in another report. A couple of late fall pike trips are planned as soon as my elbow has healed up. I will save that for my 2011 pike season report. Hope you enjoyed the report.