Beagle in canoe?

Hey all,

I've been in the market for a boat for a while now, trying to figure out the best option for me right now. I wanted a Bass Tender, but then moved to a place that doesn't have a garage or safe place to keep it. I then opted for a small jon boat but might have a hard time getting it onto the roof of my car (alone) - 87lb fiance isn't much of a lifter..... My other option is that my father has a square sterned canoe back home with my name all over it, but I'm a little concerned about taking my beagle out fishing in a canoe with me. He's pretty hiper!!!! Any chance of tipping going on?

I'd concider a folding boat but they're way beyond my current budget and I don't like the idea of an inflatable with hooks and claws flying around! haha

thanks for any ideas!

Cheers,

UF

haha thanks Kevin, I don't think it's for sale - he won't let go of it but he know's he won't use it, so he said he'd give it to me for as long as I'd need it.........

My beagle isn't so much hyper...but when we shore fish he likes to give the ducks/swans a hard time so I feel like he might lean over the edge from time to time......if there's not birds around he'll just take a nap...he gets bored easily....

Cheers,

UF

Kev - yeah I don't wanna go for a swim quite yet.....I fell in last spring and man was it cold!!!!

CCMT - he hates swimming - he'll play in shallow water but won't go in past his "elbows".... he has fallen in off the edge a few times reaching out for the ducks though....pretty funny sight - but not if I go along with him! haha

If anybody else has experience the input would be great!!!!

Thanks guys!

UF

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

I think your nuts..... first off.. the first thing thats gonna happen if you tip the canoe is that dog is gonna want to climb up on you... I think its a bad idea... I don't trust half the humans that are in a canoe with me to keep their balance let alone a dog...

UF,

Take him out a couple of times with the bare essentials in the canoe.....He'll get used to it and find himself a place where he's not always getting in trouble,preferably in the front...When all that is established and his behavoir is acceptable bring some fishin tackle on board and introduce him to a couple bluegills......

Good Luck!!!

T.J. - haha This is why I'm doing some research.....

Terry - I have a pretty limited budget....I'm pretty sure you want more than I can afford even though it's a deal!

Muskiestudd - I found a few pages on the net with some info on how to train your dogs to get used to the canoe....seems like it could be an option but I guess I won't know until I try! He's already met his fair share of fish and doesn't really care for them....just the ducks! haha

Thanks

UF

I'd fold a blanket to put in the bottom of the boat for him to lay on too, so he'll be comfortable if your on the water for awhile.

hahahahahaha..... a couple of treats would be nice too...

Been there... done that.

German Shepherd puppy.

No worries right. He's just small. Plus this is a stable canoe.

I tend to set the hook kinda hard I've been told when bass fishing.

When setting the hook your weight is pretty much shifted to one side.

Puppies think this is funny. They think you are purposely trying to tip the canoe, so they join in.

Puppy paws up on gunnel, my fat butt shifted to the same side, tackle boxes sliding to the side.

Cooler added to the mix. End result = free swimming lessons. Puppies will then get panicky and decide the safest place to be is on top of your head while you try to salvage all your gear. Girlfriend laughing at you safely from shoreline does not help.

I wish you luck and suggest experimenting in warm water first.

Hookset.

Had a lab and a canoe many years ago. he loved to hunt and we would often head back into the bull rushes to do a litle jump shooting.

He would go right over the bow when he saw a duck fall, it was awesom! Only problem was he would always come back to the side of the canoe to try to get back in so it went like this: Duck would fly, I would shoot, dog would exit over the bow, I would head for the closest shore and hope I got there before the dog got back with the duck.

Actually though, Lew's advice would probably work well in your case. Just give it a few trys in warm water with no other gear in the canoe.

right on guys, considering the canoe is free I might as well give it a shot before I go out and purchase something else......unless I find a CRAZY deal on something used......I don't have a whole lot of experience with canoes - so I might not even find it comfortable without him.....my last boat (before I spent all my money on school) was a 16 foot aluminum so it's gonna be a tight squeeze compared to what I'm used to. I just can't handle being stranded on shore another summer!

I really do appreciate all the tips and Ideas! I'll have to take a camera along with me!

cheers,

UF

Hey buddy! Hope everything is going well! :thumbsup_anim: As for the dog, I wouldn't since they are hyper, no matter how obideant they are they are ALWAYS on the go. It sounds like your fiance is alot like me, I don't add very much weight to the boat either!LOL. Shawn says I am no help that way.LOL :thumbsup_anim: