Making your own work bench

Hooked

I have a space in my basement I am planning on building my own work bench. Looking for idea's from those that have done this with success. I also plan to utilize the wall above the table for storage.....so any shelving\storage innovations you have come up with would be great too.

Thanks

If you build one use 2x6 and build it well. Lots for lumber and lots of support. Id check out home depot cdn tire or Lowes for the workshop cabinets for the wall above the bench. I guess it all depends on what you want to do in the shop. If its light weight and just puttering around just go basic. If your doing heavy wood working or metal work you will want to go heavy duty..

When I built the workshop in our place back in Ontario I built my work benches with the front supports angling back toward the wall. Sort of in a triangular fashion if you know what I mean. This made it much easier for sweeping/cleanup and kept the front supports from getting in the way.

The frame and supports were 2x4's and the top was 3/4" G1S plywood.

This bench was 20' long and went along 2 walls wrapping around an outside corner. :D

Here's a crude drawing to help visualize it.

Bench.jpg

I also built a 6'X6' assembly table on wheels that I could roll around the shop as needed.

The top was 1 1/4" Melamine coated MDF. A little overkill but it was free. ;)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Thanks for the info so far, if ya got pics would love to see them. I won't be working on anything heavy on the bench, pc stuff....some small wood work.....

How high off the ground would you recommend the table be? I like that idea drifter, with the support being on an angle.

Ya.. What they said.

Also think of these things:

1. You will want a good solid place to mount a vice. Make sure you consider this in your initial design. I used thru bolts with nut and washer to fasten my vice. Make sure you have the clearance to mount it correctly.

2. You may want to be able to fit a tool box underneath for storage. Make sure you consider the clearance for this in your design.

3. Make sure that you have adequate clearance in your shelves underneath to store your stuff. (eg, a drill in a hard plastic case).

4. Tie it into the wall, and floor, and make sure she's solid.

5. Before you start building, make sure you have a good spot for mounting a light above the bench that doesn't take up your work space. I re-wired my bench light to have it's own switch.

6. I have a drill press mounted on my bench, it was an afterthought, but luckily, it cleared my shelves above by under an inch. Another clearance thing to consider.

7. Pick a nice height for you to work at while standing, so you're not leaning over, or standing on your tippy toes.

Just a few things to think about. Sketch out a few designs before you buy any material.

Edited by N.A.W

A peg board on the wall by the bench is always handy to hold the smaller tools you use on a regular basis, rather than digging thru the toolbox all the time.

Haha, it's funny you mention that Lew, I was thinking of that seconds before I read your reply. It simply drives me crazy digging through for tools.

Check out Garage Journal. Some amazing stuff here.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103738&highlight=Workbench

This thread should give you some inspiration.

The Garage Gallery section is worth a look. Some incredible set ups in here.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Nemo

Wow, some of those are freakin sweet! Thx for the links.

You have to sit down and really think about how big.

Too small,good for nothing.

Too big,Then the bench call be in it's own way.

It's always nice if it's moveable.If you build a floor model.

Always over hang on the top facing you.This helps to keep spills from getting in the drawers and shelves.

Years ago, when I was heavily into the shooting sports I built this reloading bench, as you an see by the detail shots the front lip is well braced for vise or other tool mounting. It is very solid and may be what you are looking for or give you some ideas on construction.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

Years ago, when I was heavily into the shooting sports I built this reloading bench, as you an see by the detail shots the front lip is well braced for vise or other tool mounting. It is very solid and may be what you are looking for or give you some ideas on construction.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

Your link just made my pc go stupid.

A peg board on the wall by the bench is always handy to hold the smaller tools you use on a regular basis, rather than digging thru the toolbox all the time.

Yeppers, and trace the tools where you want them to be if your especially picky. Also, keeps the wife or friends from grabbing a tool only to throw it on a shelf somewhere afterwards

a while back I built benches in my basement for my wife and I. Her's for scrapbooking mine for Rc car repair and what ever else. I built them for working when standing (now would like stools) I used 2x4 frame and plywood top then covered the plywood with masonite so I had a smooth surface that can be replaced. I wired plugs all around the front so cords hang down in front instead of laying all over the bench area.

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Here's a few pics of mine.

Lots of storage above. Lots of storage below. Motor mount on side for outboard motors. Peg board back. Fasteners shelves. 8' long, 28" deep and about 42" tall.

I'm in the process of moving to a new house, to this bench is pretty much empty now.

I'm glad you started this thread. One of the first things I'm going to do at the new house in put in a new work bench.

Bench4.jpg

Bench3.jpg

Bench2.jpg

Bench1.jpg

Built these over a case of beer, a tub of 3" deck screws, a bottle of wood glue and my mitre saw. Probably cost me no more than $100 in 2x4's for both benches and one small sheet of plywood to cut the cross braces. These are heavy enough to take a big load, solid as a rock but if I ever move they'll be coming with me.

This one has 2 2x electical plugs wired in front that go back and plug into wall outlets behind the bench

DSCF0633.jpg

Gotta have loads of storage underneath for all the toys

DSCF0632.jpg

Edited by Fang

I have'nt looked at all the posts on this , hope i am not repeating . Once we have our new shop up i plan to build ower new work benchs by useing 2"x2" square tubing light wall , framed and mig welded to the size i need , then painted red , with a 1/8 " one piece sheet metal formed top and polished aluminum checker plate for the shelving and doors .