nf battery storage

archer379

You're ok to store them as long as you don't plan on charging them in the basement. Charging a battery can omit hydrogen gas that is higly flamible. I had a battery charging in my RV once that kept setting of my CO detector. Won't be doing that again.

It tends to kill them flat and most time after they will never take a charge again .

Old wive's tale that doesn't pertian to today's plastic encased batteries. More of a concern would be over-filling, over-charging or leakage that would eat a nice hole in your concrete.

Old wive's tale that doesn't pertian to today's plastic encased batteries. More of a concern would be over-filling, over-charging or leakage that would eat a nice hole in your concrete.

Don't know Jer if its a wise tale or not . I never questioned it when i was told by a mechanic years ago not to do it , did forget a few times and paid the price . One things for certain , you'll never see them on the floor where you buy them .

Bottom line I tend to agree with Skipper......what's so hard about putting a battery on a piece of scrap wood.

But as I have said before....if you have a onboard charger just plug it in and forget it....don't hear about anyone removing their truck batteries in the winter, do you ?

That is a very old myth. It was not recommended in the early 1900s. Read about it. Learn. Google "battery cement floor" and you'll have put another scary thing out of your life. smile.gif

And right below that, the Boogie Man theory is shot to heck toow00t.gif

You can store batteries that aren't being charged in your basement with no real worries regarding safety. Make sure nothing conductive can come in contact with the terminals, and checking them every now and then to make sure they're not leaking/bulging (which is unlikely) isn't a bad idea.

About the worst thing you can do (as far as the life of the battery goes) is to leave it in a state of discharge for any real length of time. Charge them up to 100% before you put them away. I also like to top mine off once or twice over the off season...but it's only really necessary with my older batteries that don't hold a charge as well. Doing that in an unventilated space is something to avoid.

Don't go killing the boogey man!! I put my Deep Cycles on a couple of scrap 2x4's in the garage after they have been charged up. I also charge them a couple of times over the winter to make sure they don't freeze. A fully charged battery won't freeze, a discharged battery will.

I take the batteries out of the boat and bring them inside. I know I don't have to, I just do. I also keep the batteries on a cart but only because it's easier to move them around, It has nothing to do with not wanting them on a concrete floor. The cart holds my 4 batteries and a charger.