New Garage NF

wallyboss

Guys, I need a (ballpark figure ) of how much would a garage cost me. I am seeing a few contractors but would need to know how much $$$ approx.

24W X 28 Deep,

16 ft door

1 side door and one 6ft by 3 ft window.

Roof will have 4 sides(Not sure of the name) Hip roof maybe?

On a Cement slab.

Insulated ?? $

Not insulated ?? $

Thanks guys

I had a 24x24 priced out a couple of years ago with 2 16ft doors (front and back), side door, no windows and was $25,000 complete. I though the quote was a bit high but was only getting a ballpark idea, never got any other quotes.

Edit - My old neighbour put in a 1 an a 1/2 garage and it was $15, 000 but that would be about 6-7 years ago.

Edited by fishnsled

Some of the lumber and building centers sell prefabbed garages that you put up yourself after the pad has been poured. Don't know if their any cheaper or not but may be worth looking into.

As for the insulation, it'll be much easier to put it in now during construction, then if you decide to install a furnace later on your already ahead of the game.

Slab on grade? Or frost wall?

Electrical? Gas?

I am currently having a 14 by 20 garage built. I was restricted by size as my house is on the Wye River, don't get me started about the NVCA. I have built a block frost wall with foundation 48 inch below grade.

The building is detached and I had attic trusses installed, I can stand up in the attic. I have 2 dormers in the roof for light up in the attic. I have to install a hydro box in the building as I will have 220 which I wired so that my compressor is also in the attic. I am running 2 trenches from the house approximately 25 meters away, one for gas and the other electrical. The door is a 10 foot insulated door and is higher end style, we live in a red brick Victorian and wanted to match the architecture so a carriage house style door was on the menu. Finish is wood board and batten.

Final cost should run around $25,000 +/- 15%, the project is almost finished, doors and windows arrive Friday which means by the end of next week it should be all done. That may seem a little high but no corners were cut, there will 9 windows when it's completed, four in the attic and 5 on ground floor.

Insulation with wood flakeboard wall will add to the expense but it is the best money you can spend.I like that I can put a nail in anywhere I want and hang stuff and if you bump into it no drywall damage. Paint it white and put twice as much lighting in as you think you need. We also pulled a separate feed and a 200 amp circuit panel box so if you trip a breaker you don't have to go to the house to reset it. Build the front to back an extra 4ft for a work bench and the ability to walk around the car as you work or play in their.

Art

the type of roof you speak of is called a Cottage roof....there are alot of varibles to your quote to determine the price...

how far away from the house is the new building

elctrical requirements

gas reguirements

engineered slab/heated floor

exterior finish

windows

garage door opener

insulated with Roxal or traditional fiberglass to R 13,blown in ceiling

insulated door

coloured eves trough

type of shingles

hieght of interior ceiling

and so on.... and so on

just make sure the details of each quote are the same for each contractor to compare apples to apples and not oranges....ive built garages for 17k up to 35k for the same size building ....SIZE was the only common thing ....

Good Luck and enjoy the new "Man Cave"

I built my own 17'x25 in 2004. Slab on grade, 16" thick around the perimeter, 6" in the middle. 2"x4" framing, 5/8" Spruce ply, engineered Truses, 12' Insulated door/auto. 1 Man door, 1 typical slider window, 2 skylights, insulated and drywalled,vinyl siding/aluminum trim , gas heater...I think my bills added up to $17,000. Did most of it myself. I did pay for the pad-great price, paid a roofer to shingle it-another great price, had the heater installed that was around $2500 including running the gas line. Paid an Electrician friend to do the wiring-great price again...It helps if you can find decent tradesmen to do some of the work you can't/don't want to do.

Yes! Or as you said, a hip roof. The other style is a gable end. Probably cheaper to build with a gable end?

I'm no expert, but would tend to agree. Less cutting, more uniform truss layout, easier to shingle. Also gives you a little extra storage in the rafters.

Because you're posting this on a fishing forum I'll assume you'll be using the garage to store your boat. An important tip is to get a door that will be high enough the clear your motor. I have a 225 Optimax and I needed an 9ft (height) door when I built my new house in 2002.

Edited by Gerry

I built a 20x22 single double door with siding for about 11,000 4 years ago. I bought a kit from rona. Basically the kit is not really a kit. Rona will give you building plans and calculate all materials to build it. I paid a friend to pour a slab. Total about 11,000. One thing to note is if I were to build any bigger than 20x22 a slab would not comply to building code. Footings would then have to be poured. The cost would be greater. I got a few quotes to get the same garage built and was quoted 22-24k. Basically double the price. You want a bigger garage so I think you will be paying more. Hope this helps.

I built a 20X24 bunkie this Summer at the cottage. I paid someone to do the site prep, the shingles and soffitt and fascia and electrical. Other than that I did the whole thing myself.

There was no slab (on piers) and it is not insulated. It has two French doors, a window, and a barn door at the end to get the boats etc. in and out in the Fall/Spring.

The siding is Cedar and the main floor is 10" high.

PA160188.JPG?psid=1

I spent approx 25k.

Nemo

Edited by Nemo