Ice auger

motion

Since I am going to be taking my boat out of the water this week-end, my focus turns to setting up for the hard water season that will soon be upon us.

I currently own an 8" Strikemaster auger that I purchased from a fellow OFNer a few years ago. No complaints. It has work flawlessly and was initially intended for perch fishing. We have now progressed to whities and lakers and have found that the 8" holes are a tad small for jigging and icing our fish.

In looking at a new (or slightly used) 10" auger, I am drawn to the Jiffy STX. My fishing buddies own them and they work perfect. The problem is the cost.

I also have read about the new propane Jiffy and may consider that(just haven't seen it around here yet). Lastly, Lebarons seems to carry the Eskimo 10" for just over $400.00. I am not sure of the quality of the Eskimo though.

I'm looking for some feedback from others that own either auger and where I may find one at a decent price.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by motion

What kind of whities and lakers are you catching that you can't get through a 8in hole, especially in Simcoe?

Bill, I did not mean to imply that I can't get them through the hole, I have. It's just that it was easier jigging and pulling them through the 10" hole (when my buddy drilled them for me). I'm sure I could pull them through a 6" hole if I really had to.......

Bill, I did not mean to imply that I can't get them through the hole, I have. It's just that it was easier jigging and pulling them through the 10" hole (when my buddy drilled them for me). I'm sure I could pull them through a 6" hole if I really had to.......

Ah, cause I was going to ask for your GPS co-ordinates if that was the case :) :)

Have you thought about just buying the auger 10" blade, then you will have both sizes?

I don't know how much they cost but could be a lot cheaper then buying a whole new auger.

I have Dan. I just don't know if my little Strikemaster has the kahunas to blow through the ice with a big 10" blade.

Do your research on the propane unit before investing. ie: temperature where propane will not vapourize. I don't know, it's just something I'd check.

Thanks Roy. I was thinking that as well. I don't know if I really purchase something new without some feedback from others.

I got an 8" Eskimo from Cost-Co last year for under $300 new (well add taxes to that) shipped at no cost right to my door. It works great and I would buy another if ever needed.

this was a timely thread, I am also going to be looking for one this winter, hand drilling sucks ...

this was a timely thread, I am also going to be looking for one this winter, hand drilling sucks ...

Look at your local Costco, they usually get a bunch at this time of year. But like most seasonal things at Costco, once they're gone, they're gone...Last year they were $285 for an auger that is $350 to $400 everywhere else.

I have had my Eskimo for over 5 years and love it. Starts easy and runs great. I haven't even changed the plug yet. The key is to run premium fuel.

Rather than spend all that money on a new unit, why not just drill 2 holes overlapping each other, kind of like a squished number 8?

I have done it and it works good.

Look at your local Costco, they usually get a bunch at this time of year. But like most seasonal things at Costco, once they're gone, they're gone...Last year they were $285 for an auger that is $350 to $400 everywhere else.

If you order from the Cost-co web site the auger is $299.99 plus tax and it includes the shipping. This way if your cost-co is out of stock ir isn't going to carry them you have an option. item # 105279 as I just found my web bill in my desk, lol

If you order from the Cost-co web site the auger is $299.99 plus tax and it includes the shipping. This way if your cost-co is out of stock ir isn't going to carry them you have an option. item # 105279 as I just found my web bill in my desk, lol

Hey Geoff, I don't see them listed their on the website this year. They may not be carrying them any longer.

It was a 10" model I am after though. If anybody else has an idea of where there may many any at a good price, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks.

Edited by motion

I would call your closest store and give them the item number to see if any store is going to carry them. not all stores did last year but they were able to tell me what ones were going to carry them. Trust me that the 8" will be fine as you can overlap a hole to make it look line an open 8

New this year Propane powered models!!

No smoke can be operated indoors! Call 705 717 xxxx for more info.

I would think indoors usually refers to "inside the house", anybody have a frozen lake in the basement.. :tease:

Found some info on the propane ones, other than having a recall to fix the propane line on some models, they seem to work well even in the extreme cold.

Edited by Fisherman

Wow, that is a steal, I pay 287 plus shipping and price them at $350 just to break even in my store...I may buy them at cosco instead of the MFGR...

DOS

What CC is your motor on the strike master? I called strike master and talked to a service tech after I bought one used. They will be able to tell you what size of auger you can match with what CC power head. There's a chance you can upgrade the auger for less the buying a new complete unit.

Or you can sell the 8" unit, and buy a bigger one.

Strikemaster, Eskimo, Jiffy. They're all good as long as you maintain them, and mix the gas right. Just DON'T get a 3 blade strike master auger!