boat storage

rob v

I'm sure this has been discussed before - but does putting moth balls in your boat help to keep mice from taking up residence in your stored boat over the winter ? is there something more effective ?

I'm sure there's people on this board with experience to share.

Thanks.

get a couple bars of irish spring soap (original)dice it up and place in disposal plates or bowls and place through out boat in several areas. Also bounce dryer sheets work excellent also. Same thing just place them through out boat stuff them where ever you can. I have been using these for several years on my boat and tent trailer and have never had an issue.

Someone told also to put moth balls on the ground surrounding the boat.

I've used moth balls for years Rob and have never had a critter take up residence in my boat, even the 10 years it wintered in a barn.

When I bought this house there were a few of these gizmos in the garage supposedly to ward off pests and so far, so good.

Now if I could just find something to stop the bears from poopin in my backyard :lol:

002-1.jpg

I've used moth balls for years Rob and have never had a critter take up residence in my boat, even the 10 years it wintered in a barn.

When I bought this house there were a few of these gizmos in the garage supposedly to ward off pests and so far, so good.

Now if I could just find something to stop the bears from poopin in my backyard laugh.gif

002-1.jpg

So those little gizmos realy work Lew?dunno.gif I was thinking about getting a few for my basement and work shop. Do they affect dogs? Wouldnt want my 2 ladies trying to get away in the night.w00t.gif

So those little gizmos realy work Lew?

Haven't seen a mouse since we moved in Paul and we're surrounded by woods, so they seem to work well. As for the pooches, mines in the garage with me all the time with no problems.

But I don't have the gizmos in the house and we don't have any mice here either, so who knows :dunno:

We tried those sound things in my parents 5th wheel, mice didn't seem to mind them, lol!

Maybe the electronic gizmos are like the deer whistles that some folks put on their car bumper, they seem to work well until you hit your 1st deer :lol:

The electronic things do work, I have one in my garage and I haven't had a problem with mice since I got it. I've found that Irish Spring and Bounce sheets don't work, they only make the place smell nicer. The best thing is a bunch of mouse traps and glue traps. If you get your boat shrink wrapped then you should be fine.

Thanks lew - sounds like I'll get some moth balls and give them a go. I learned a while ago to make sure there's nothing left in the boat that they could use for nesting material i.e. life jackets, cushions etc, and most importantly make sure there isn't anything that even resembles food left in the boat. BillM the cheese and traps work well too - I agree - except if I don't get a chance to change the traps for a month or two (boat is stored in my brother's barn an hour away) I could have lots of fun !!

I've used mothballs when storing my snowmobiles for over the past 30 years. I've never had a mouse problem. Years ago, my cousin and I use to store our sleds side by side in an old grain bin on the farm (great place for mice). I always used mothballs, he never did. He always had mouse problems, I never did. Mothballs work, you need to make sure to us enough of them to have an impact. I used small plates with about a dozen mothballs on each, and place them in strategic locations on my sled. I usually use a box a year.You also should place these under the cover so as to hold in the scent of the mothballs.

Edited by Old Man

Years ago, my cousin and I use to store our sleds side by side in an old grain bin on the farm (great place for mice). I always used mothballs, he never did. He always had mouse problems, I never did.

He must be stubborn...how many years did he let that go on before he caught on?

Maybe the electronic gizmos are like the deer whistles that some folks put on their car bumper, they seem to work well until you hit your 1st deer laugh.gif

I'll try and pick one up this weekend, and let you know if my mutts go nutsmellow.gif I have a feeling they work in high frequency, so the dogs may be affected by them too.I'll let everyone know.

I have those electric gizmos in my garage and house as we live in the country and we haven't had an issue since....knock on wood. The sticky traps are a lot better than the traditional mouse traps. I have had success with them as well.

lota lota - is that the set up where you fill the bucket half full with water, set it by a stair/ledge with a small piece of wood extended from the ledge/stair with a peice of bait (e.g. cheese) balanced on the peice of wood over the pail ? when the mouse walks on the small peice of wood (walks the plank) to get the bait the whole thing including the mouse falls in the bucket ?

Doesn't the bait need to be reset ? and what happens when the water in the pail freezes ?

lota lota - is that the set up where you fill the bucket half full with water, set it by a stair/ledge with a small piece of wood extended from the ledge/stair with a peice of bait (e.g. cheese) balanced on the peice of wood over the pail ? when the mouse walks on the small peice of wood (walks the plank) to get the bait the whole thing including the mouse falls in the bucket ?

Doesn't the bait need to be reset ? and what happens when the water in the pail freezes ?

I use a piece of dowel thru a can when the mouse walks out onto the dowel , can spins mouse falls , no water in the pail I use anti-freeze . Got the design I remember from TJ I think ..Lots of cloves cant stand the smell of moth balls , not that cloves are much better .

Edited by capt bruce

I've used mothballs when storing my snowmobiles for over the past 30 years. I've never had a mouse problem. Years ago, my cousin and I use to store our sleds side by side in an old grain bin on the farm (great place for mice). I always used mothballs, he never did. He always had mouse problems, I never did. Mothballs work, you need to make sure to us enough of them to have an impact. I used small plates with about a dozen mothballs on each, and place them in strategic locations on my sled. I usually use a box a year.You also should place these under the cover so as to hold in the scent of the mothballs.

OK I am thinking about using Moth balls

but I do have a few questions

like how the heck do you get their legs apart to get at them and do you cut them off or just pull them off

LOL..never mind

He must be stubborn...how many years did he let that go on before he caught on?

Three years and several wiring harnesses later he caught on. I always told him it wasn't the mothballs in my sled, but the handful of barley I threw under his hood every spring. :whistling: