Amazing quote from windsor police chief

jedimaster

Its amazing who is creeping out of the woodwork now. I have never known any police officer to be told to be more or less cautious based on a search of the registry. Also I though all related search information was to be destroyed? Seems like the windsor police will be saving it.

Windsor Police Services Chief Gary Smith said the registry assisted police officers, particularly when responding to domestic calls.

“I don’t want to overdramatize it, but it can save lives,” said Smith. ”Often we would search a registry before we dispatched an officer on a call and if you tell them there’s a firearm registered, they’re a little cautious, depending on the type of call. My detectives would use it quite often, anytime they applied for a search warrant or an arrest warrant.”

He laid the blame for the demise of the registry in part on law-enforcement officials. “There was a lot of misinformation out there,” said Smith. “We, as a police community, didn’t explain it to the public properly.”

Police forces will have to adapt to working without the registry, although they still have access to past records, said Smith.

“It’s one of those things,” he said. “We’re going to have to learn to adapt and live with the consequences of that.”

Police forces will have to adapt to working without the registry, although they still have access to past records, said Smith.

So they will prepare to use more force because somebody registered their guns legally under the old system?

They should wipe out the old records and treat every case on it's own merits. Even if that takes *Gasp* some actual police work.

You boys need a Canadian version of the NRA

We do, it's called the OFAH, but lots of people don't like to join because they don't agree with all of there initiatives. Although the OFAH has its downsides, it's really the only big group we can support that will fight for our rights.

Its amazing who is creeping out of the woodwork now. I have never known any police officer to be told to be more or less cautious based on a search of the registry. Also I though all related search information was to be destroyed? Seems like the windsor police will be saving it.

Windsor Police Services Chief Gary Smith said the registry assisted police officers, particularly when responding to domestic calls.

“I don’t want to overdramatize it, but it can save lives,” said Smith. ”Often we would search a registry before we dispatched an officer on a call and if you tell them there’s a firearm registered, they’re a little cautious, depending on the type of call. My detectives would use it quite often, anytime they applied for a search warrant or an arrest warrant.”

He laid the blame for the demise of the registry in part on law-enforcement officials. “There was a lot of misinformation out there,” said Smith. “We, as a police community, didn’t explain it to the public properly.”

“It’s one of those things,” he said. “We’re going to have to learn to adapt and live with the consequences of that.”

:lol: Is that what they call lying to people. Like the statement that the registry was used 11,000 times a day. Talk about misinformation.

So I guess when they get word that there are no registered firearms in the house, they don't have to be as cautious because it is well known that criminals and drug dealers all register their guns. They also store them legally too. :sarcasm:

like.png

I thought it was only your truck bumper that felt that way :P

The general public won't miss this one bit. I don't own guns so I didn't have a personal vendetta for it, but its one less burden for the honest hunter/gun owner to deal with.

lol...Not only is it one less burden, but think about how much money it was burning. I read somewhere just a few days ago, (might have even been on here) that the gov't was spending 100x times more than what it said it was going to cost when it was first established.

When I registered a boat this spring I was informed that boat registry had now switched over to Miramichi New Brunswick (gun registry site). I wonder how long it will be before we pay a yearly licence fee for boat registry?

Re the Registry, police when responding to domestics, drug houses etc, should always assume their weapons involved, and should act accordingly, they shouldnt rely on the gun registry to make the call for them, criminals do NOT register their guns, and stolen guns which may have been registered soon have the serial numbers filed, what a waste of money,

I am still waiting to hear of one scenario where the gun registry actually prevented a death. I would think that it would have been all over the media if there was one.

Won't be sad to see it go.

Don't give them any ideas West Arm Rider!

Sadly its mis-interpeted. i live in windsor. this post will possibly get pulled. theres presently a run-amok police force here. . my say on the gun issue is the age old argument. control handguns not long guns that farmers,and sportsmen enjoy the use of. with the deadly force and cover-ups in the windsor area maybe just possibly the police chief should spend his time controlling the rampant rogues and beatings. read the windsor star. anothe good grim read a doctor beaten while jogging. hopefully those two rogues will be receiving a sentence just as criminals should. . as it is trained officers have always treated domestic calls ,that homes may have weapons,. .

Actually the new hits per day number is now 17,000, thats only a three fold increase in 5 years, accounting for about 1 in every 4 police officers checking on a registered gun owner everyday, when you consider the number of officers that arent actually investigating but pushing paper the number becaomes even more ridiculous. Of course anyone with any sense and desire to educate themselves on the issue knows that the 17,000 number results from an interconnected system that checks all the police databases during say traffic stops etc.

Btw, do a little math, 365x17,000=6,205,000 hits a year, according to every report I have seen, about half, or 7 million firearms in this country have been registered, so on average there are enough hits on the registry to check on 89 percent of all registered firearms in this country each year and climbing, meanwhile legal long guns account for about 5 percent of homicides and registered long guns about 3 percent.

Police chiefs are politicians, believe what you wish but the numbers are pretty clear, they are lying to you, trying to use you, and some of you are letting them. These are the same people who make an up organization that was against the charter of rights and who abused protestors during the g20, if they could get the right to enter your home without a warrant or wiretap you phone they would take that too, would you agree with them there as well?

The licensing system is all the information they need, it is pretty reasonable to assume that if you have a PAL you probably have a gun.