first Baitcasting reel, which to buy?

mauve

Oh my, lots of options and I'm sure many opinions.

Things to consider:

Do you have a brand that you prefer for spinning reels? You don't need to stay in the same family but some prefer to stay loyal and it might simplify your choices.

What type of fish are you planning on targeting?

How do you plan on fishing for them? Do you need/want large line capacity? Low, medium or high gear ratio.

Price range? Cheaper ones can work but are more likely to cause you so much frustration that you will give up and never see the benefits of having another option.

This question has been asked 1 or 2 thousand times in the last few years :lol:

Not sure what your definition of not very expensive is but I would keep an eye on the OFC ads some good deal pop up every oncee in the while, barring that if you can wait BPS has some good deals when the big spring sale is on i.e last year a picked up a JM signature reel for under 90 bucks and imho it is every bit as good as a Curado.

Oh and by the way a good reel will not turn a bad caster into a good caster

This question has been asked 1 or 2 thousand times in the last few years :lol:

Not sure what your definition of not very expensive is but I would keep an eye on the OFC ads some good deal pop up every oncee in the while, barring that if you can wait BPS has some good deals when the big spring sale is on i.e last year a picked up a JM signature reel for under 90 bucks and imho it is every bit as good as a Curado.

Oh and by the way a good reel will not turn a bad caster into a good caster

You could get a quality bait caster for around 50 bucks... in 1979. On a tight budget a Citica will do to learn on, just my preference now for Shimano reels though. I would definitely stay away from off or store brand reels, they limit your options for repairs or parts if needed.

I wasted a LOT of $ on low cost reels because I thought it was a good deal and that it would perform well. Saddly, I was mistaken... I spent enough on low cost reels to buy 2 or 3 curado's and now I do have a curado and it casts very, very well. save you cash and buy a good one used or wait for a sale.

I would say don't cheap out on a baitcast reel. You get what you pay for, and if you dont pay, it will only leave you frustrated. I would recommend the Shimano Curado, it's about $229 but it is a great investment. It is a very reliable reel, easy to get the hang of and Shimano offers great warranty service.

If that is beyond your budget, the Johnny Morris signature series reel is a great option in the 100 dollar range. It is smooth and efficient. It will not last as long as a curado, and the braking and drag systems will not be of the same quality, but I own a few and have fished them hard for 3 years with very few issues.

My 2 cents

Regardless of the reel you buy using a bait caster well is the result of setting up the reel properly and practice. Failure to do both will result in frustration. There are many places on-line to get set up advice and most reels have instructions with them. Once you get the reel set up practice at home; nothing worse than having the frustration of backlashes spoil a days fishing.

When you are learning you will most likely get some snarls that you just can't untangle so you will need to cut the line off the reel and respool. So don't start with fluorocarbon or braid line unless you don't mind the cost. I would suggest a mono line in 10 to 17# that is soft. I use Berkley XS but there are many brands. Going to the light side of the pound test is better but I don't know where you fish or for what. Start by working on accuracy and as you develop skill ease up on the cast control and add distance.

I think that centrifugal systems are a bit better but I like the flexibility of external adjustment. I have reels with either and one or two with combinations and they all work well. Having said that I have never met a reel I couldn't backlash but baitcasters are my preference except for 1/8 ounce and lighter lures and drop shotting.

You will hear from many about the virtues of one brand or another this boils down to personal preference. I have reels from Daiwa, Shimano, Pflueger, Quantum, BPS and a few others; they all work well. They are also getting some age and I've not had a problem with any. A little cleaning every year or two, a drop of oil for the bearings, grease for the gears and little else.

Practice, practice, practice!

I know you've heard it but I'll say it again, save up and buy a good reel, generally, you will need to spend $125 and up for a nice reel being blown out to make room for the new versions. If you get an inexpensive reel, you will only frustrate yourself with it having casting issues, drag issues, reeling issues, etc... The internals will be made of plastic and won't be durable. Buy a good reel ONCE, if you buy an inexpensive one, you'll be replacing it soon enough with a good reel. You can't go wrong with Abu Garcia, Quantum, Shimano and the like.