Seriously - who can fly like this

mirogak

None of that is to hard. It looks good on film because of the line which was specifically produced for the film "A River Runs Through It". You do notice he's casting in wide open spaces with no trees and bushes around him right? Reminds me of a time I took a fellow FFF instructor fishing on a small Ontario stream. This gentleman can wail a line and was a Canadian distance competitor but he spent all his time removing his flies from the shoreline cover while I was catching fish. Flyfishing is about learning how to catch the fish right in front of you not looking pretty doing it.

None of that is to hard. It looks good on film because of the line which was specifically produced for the film "A River Runs Through It". You do notice he's casting in wide open spaces with no trees and bushes around him right? Reminds me of a time I took a fellow FFF instructor fishing on a small Ontario stream. This gentleman can wail a line and was a Canadian distance competitor but he spent all his time removing his flies from the shoreline cover while I was catching fish. Flyfishing is about learning how to catch the fish right in front of you not looking pretty doing it.

That sums it up nicely!

Its a casting video, made to showcase various casts. The practicality of those casts will entirely depend on where you are fishing.

Most places I fish, every cast is invented on the spot.

Yeah it looks beautiful but what matters is catching fish, often time I feel like I am doing some bastardize version of a roll cast to get my line out there. I am not a good caster and should spend more time practicing but I am not sure that watching videos is the best way to do it, you probably pay $20 bucks for a dvd and you can probably learn from in person starting around 30/hr. My best learning has been the 1 on 1 kind.

I reckon if you slow anyone's fly casting down, it'll look pretty cool especially with moody music!

torco - you're right, the best way to improve is have someone stand and watch you and then try and iron out the kinks. TBH if the fly gets out there and I catch fish, that's the main thing.

I was at the Spey Clave in Paris at the weekend and some of the casts those boys can do are amazing - had a chance to try myself, not as easy as it looks!

I can do most of those casts(they aren't difficult with a bit of practice, plus as was mentioned it is somewhat of an instructional on types of casts as opposed to application of casts) and most places I fish here really limits us to not being able to use them. Usually tight and full cover is the order of the day, and never that length of line out cuz it would be in the tree behind you. Might be good on the larger rivers around here.

there's a reason why the roll cast is so widely used.

Edited by registerfly

That was a great video.

True - fancy casts don't catch fish.

BUT - I have fished some very spooky trout in Montana in open meadows with dry flies that did demand long, delicate slack or curved line casts with very small flies. It is way more fun than roll-casting with an indicator!

Landry

I reckon if you slow anyone's fly casting down, it'll look pretty cool especially with moody music!

torco - you're right, the best way to improve is have someone stand and watch you and then try and iron out the kinks. TBH if the fly gets out there and I catch fish, that's the main thing.

I was at the Spey Clave in Paris at the weekend and some of the casts those boys can do are amazing - had a chance to try myself, not as easy as it looks!

I wanted to attend that as I now have a switch rod but my wife was working and my closest baby sitters was my moms place out in oshawa. So I went out to oshawa, managed to get a few hours in lost a couple of salmon which was fun.

I also use a bunch of the casts in that video.

They are all there for a specific purpose. Wiggle casts are for areas with many different currents between you and the fish (creates a longer drag free drift). Tuck casts are used when nymphing to get your fly down to the strike zone quickly.

One I didn't see on that vid was the steeple cast which I use often (almost as often as a roll cast). This cast is used when you have a high bank at your back and need to fire out a cast.

Not really a whole lot different than all those different casts the bass guys use (flip, pitch, side, skip etc.)