Several new braided lines...

Garry2Rs

Here are a couple of items you might have missed...

Sufix 832 is now available in white as well as neon lime and green.

This might not be something that causes a stampede at the tackle store, but it is an update.

Powerpro has released a new 8 strand version called Super-Slick. This line will be available in tan, yellow and green.

For those who are not aware, Powerpro is now owned by Shimano, and although it is still very popular with OFNer's, the origanal line, that probably once led the field, has fallen behind from a technical point of view.

The original PowerPro is/was a four strand braid that created an oval shaped line. Ever since the new 8 strand Fireline and it's siblings like Spiderwire Stealth hit the market three or four years ago, these rounder braids have been seen as "state of the art."

There are other small fishing line companies out there with 16 or more strands in some braids. However it's doubtful most people will ever see these at their favourite tackle shop.

Suffix, is the other big player, it's now owned by Rapala and is probable making all of the other common braided lines. If so, they saved the Ace for themselves...Their 832 is tighter, slicker and smaller in diameter then any of the other lines.

On another front, many of you are aware that Fluorocarbon line was first introduced by Seaguar. Many people feel their line is still the best...It certainly costs enough!

Recently this company has branched out with a new Mono and a new Braid...What can we say about any Mono...cheap...clear...twists like crazy...stretchy as a bungee-cord...Sorry I got carried away...I have not seen any spec's on the new braid, but I suspect it will be another 8 strand Suffix clone.

Anyway that's 40 for now.

Garry2R's

Thanks for the update, Garry. After a season of Suffix vs PowerPro, I have to say I'm more apt to stick with the PowerPro...interested in seeing the "superslick" stuff. So far I don't find the Suffix to have any great advantage over the PP, and on the spinning reel, the PP outcasts it by a noticeable margin.

I should really try something else for my spinning reel, and think I'm ready to try Fireline...I know...it's old...but I haven't seen anything that consistently gets good reviews by other spinning reelers. I'd be interested in a good flourocarbon too thogh...so your opinions or future reviews are appreciated ;)

Thanks for the update, Garry. After a season of Suffix vs PowerPro, I have to say I'm more apt to stick with the PowerPro...interested in seeing the "superslick" stuff. So far I don't find the Suffix to have any great advantage over the PP, and on the spinning reel, the PP outcasts it by a noticeable margin.

I should really try something else for my spinning reel, and think I'm ready to try Fireline...I know...it's old...but I haven't seen anything that consistently gets good reviews by other spinning reelers. I'd be interested in a good flourocarbon too thogh...so your opinions or future reviews are appreciated ;)

not a huge authority on braid on spinning reels however, i can tell you that i don't like fireline. it frays extremely easily.

I have had the privilege to field test the new Super Slick. It's been on one of my reels for well over a month now. Fishing pretty much every weekend for either smallies or walleye, this new line has stood up extremely well. I have been using it on my GLX 852 with the spring back guides. For anyone who has spring back guides, you will understand the noise you get with any braid. The most noticeable difference off the hop is how quiet Super Slick is going through the line guides. The next thing you notice,the diameter is smaller hence the additional distance you can cast.

I was a little sceptacle at first with the new line as when I first used it, you could see the line twist. Easily found out though it was how I spooled it on my reel. I got the line twist out by opening up the bail, let the line out and do a short run at about 10 - 20 mph. It takes a knot very well too, no need to learn new knots which is also a bonus.

Cheers, Ron...

Awesome post once again Garry! :thumbsup_anim:

I've became a big fan of suffix 832 after your review of it and have it on almost every reel packed with braid. I've used it on most of my reels since February/March and not one of them(7 reels ranging from 10lb to 50lb) need to be re-spooled. No signs of fraying at all un-like pp after and regular season of use, and it's no where near as dull as most braids will get.

I'm not sure how but I hadn't heard a thing about pp releasing there 8 stand braid until MTBF was talking to me about it the other day. Has any one tried it yet? I'm going to give it a shot next year, but with CTC always having 832 on sale for 15 bucks it's hard to justify lol...

I didn't see your post Ron.

I've never had a problem with braid twisting before, or at least cause a problem. You said you could see the line twist, does that mean the line isn't round?

Edited by GoneFishin

Sorry guys after reading this thread It all comes down to what your comfortable with.

I use braided in spring for pike or fall muskie.

Otherwise its 8 pound mono ..

Love the forgivenes and resilliant nature of mono..STRONG/FORGIVING/AND SENSITIVE.

All the braided lines seem to focus primarily on sencetivity and not on anything after driving your hook thruogh the fishes skull???

:dunno:

Old school YEP YEP I AM

Saltydawg... :thumbsup_anim::tease:

Edited by saltydawg

I didn't see your post Ron.

I've never had a problem with braid twisting before, or at least cause a problem. You said you could see the line twist, does that mean the line isn't round?

There is no problem with line twist. Like I said, it was from the way I spooled it up on my reel I could notice the twist in the last 5 feet or so.

Cheers, Ron...

i used the new power pro 'super slick ' all last weekend in the new tan color and it was amazing,quiet and casts like a bullett like ron said its alot better,and i used it in the ottawa river in lots of different conditiuons all weekend long,and its a great new line for sure...

i have also used the new suffix braid all summer long and their mono,its ok and stood up well,still faded the same as pp so i will see after a while how it stands up,but i really like the new pp slick,its smooth and quiet for sure...

Edited by fishindevil

not a huge authority on braid on spinning reels however, i can tell you that i don't like fireline. it frays extremely easily.

the fireline crystal is the worst line I have used! It's like trying to cast with dental floss...

spiderwire on the other hand is a great line. the green moss keeps its colour a lot longer then other lines too.

the fireline crystal is the worst line I have used! It's like trying to cast with dental floss...

spiderwire on the other hand is a great line. the green moss keeps its colour a lot longer then other lines too.

Actually, I think dental floss might fray less...

Which specific SpiderWire do you recommend? As soon as my second spool arrives (this one is now loaded with 4lb P-Line CX for trout), I'm putting a 10-12lb line on it, and it'll be whatever I can get locally that I haven't tried yet (hopefully the new PP or your recommended SpiderWire).

Which specific SpiderWire do you recommend?

Spiderwire Stealth in 20LB is a great line.

*edit to add* not the camo braid (it's not that great, barely good) but the moss green

Edited by GBW

The only thing fireline and fireline braid have in common is the name fireline, they are 2 totally different lines one is a braid the other is a fused line.Pure fishing goofed calling the braid firelne braid imo and likey hurt its sales.

Edited by hirk

I've caught all my 20+inch trophy brookies with Fireline Crystal, not to mention my PB 48.5in pike.

I've definitely noticed it frays, but I've never had it snap on me..

I guess it's all personal preference.. I thought Suffix 832 was going to be some great line until I used.. Absolute garbage. Loses it's colour faster then PP and line wraps like crazy. I wish I didn't buy so many spools.

We've been using 20 lb PP for the last 3 years and have liked it. This spring, I loaded up our spools with 20 lb Suffix 832 with great anticipation. I heard that 832 was suppose to be even better. We suffered 3 trips with it and then we switched back to PP. The only thing we found better about Suffix 832 was, it cast quieter and farther/easier. On the negative side, it frayed easily, faded quickly and looped and twisted like crazy no matter what we tried. I might try PP Super Slick this year, but it will be only on one spool and I'm not getting my hopes up.

I've caught all my 20+inch trophy brookies with Fireline Crystal, not to mention my PB 48.5in pike.

I guess it's all personal preference.. I thought Suffix 832 was going to be some great line until I used.. Absolute garbage. Loses it's colour faster then PP and line wraps like crazy. I wish I didn't buy so many spools.

I also use Fireline a lot since it came out over 10 years ago. I have not noticed any significant fraying. Most of the time, I use the spinning reel that has my original 8 lb test Fireline. It's over 10 years old.....what am I doing wrong??? lol. I don't recommend Fireline over 14 lb test unless it's for heavy deep sea fishing.

All of the braids that I have used are similar except for Mason Tiger Braid which had the best test results in tests that were done about 10 years ago.

In any event, I do not buy any braids that have a mono coating to make them slicker and reduce fraying. This mono covering just makes the line less limp and larger in diameter. Spiderline has (or did have when it first came out) a rather thick coating of mono.

There are no real bad braided lines out there except maybe Remington Braid which I don't see anymore anyway.

It's difficult to try out new braided and fused lines because the one's I bought a good while back are still in excellent condition and still on my reels. Spiderline and Remington braid only took me a few days to discover that they were not for me.

Fluorocarbon.....I still can't see where that stuff is of any use. I've tried a few (even Seaguar) and was extremely disappointed. They made me lose fish and lures like never before. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I do a lot of fishing and do a lot of reading about the subject. I go fishing almost everyday year round. I've been fishing for 60 years and have seen the evolution from braided nylon lines, level wind reels, steel or glass rods, all the way to today. I find it hard to believe that so many people are satisfied with fluorocarbon line or leaders.

Ok....I use the lightest line possible when fishing. I use 3/4 lb to 4 lb mono when fly fishing and 2 lb to 6 lb mono on my spinning reels for most of my fishing. Anything over these limits, I use braided or fused lines.

Loss of colour in any of the new lines is the least of my worries. If the line is supple and thin enough, the fish do not notice it no matter what colour it is.

I guess it's all personal preference..

Yeah, you're right about that for sure. It never snapped on me, so the fraying wasn't *really* an issue per se, but I just didn't like it overall. It really does remind me of dental floss, and just doesn't feel right to me, but then, it was the first non-mono line I ever tried.. I did have issues with tip wrapping and whatnot, but the feel of the fraying line bothered me probably more than anything. I also didn't like how white it was, but line colors is something that I don't quite understand yet. It was really visible too, so I thought fish would see it too, but I still caught some on it.

Yeah, you're right about that for sure. It never snapped on me, so the fraying wasn't *really* an issue per se, but I just didn't like it overall. It really does remind me of dental floss, and just doesn't feel right to me, but then, it was the first non-mono line I ever tried.. I did have issues with tip wrapping and whatnot, but the feel of the fraying line bothered me probably more than anything. I also didn't like how white it was, but line colors is something that I don't quite understand yet. It was really visible too, so I thought fish would see it too, but I still caught some on it.

Tip wrapping is the reason that so many braided lines are stiffened with a covering of mono. I love very supple lines like Mason Tiger Braid or the original Tuff Line. Yes, they do sometimes wrap around the end of the rod but it's very rare for me to leave any slack line out the tip of my rod.

All of the new braided and fused lines are very strong. Most break at almost twice the indicated breaking point but due to the fact that they have a weak knot strength and weak shock strength, the companies have to underate them.

I even imagine that rod action and the varied ways that some fishermen strike the fish causes so much discrepancy as to which is the best line.