Fishing in the Cobourg Harbour articles

Ron

Hello everyone,

A much deserved update in regards to "no fishing" in the Cobourg Harbour.

With a request letter I sent to the Ministry of Natural Resources, they in turn sent me a truly valuable document to verify I was indeed, legal to fish the Cobourg Harbour according to their by-laws. Since my initial ticket, this document was being held by myself as evidence until required in court.

Since my first ticket was quashed,you can read the transcript here (hmm, don't know how to link files on line.) I did not have the opportunity to submit to the Crown so i held onto this for a later date.

As I work many days close to the harbour, I was speaking with one of my suppliers at the harbour parking lot and was more or less challenged by the by-law enforcement to fish the harbour again... So I did! This gave me my second ticket. I am still waiting for the court date for this ticket.

Since this ticket, I have sent a copy of the letter (don't know how to link files on line) I obtained from the MNR to the Cobourg Chief of Police. I have since spoken with the Chief and they have agreed to no longer lay any charges pertaining to fishing in the Cobourg harbour. :clapping:

The Town of Cobourg by-law enforcement however were not so obliging... at first... I hand delivered the letter to the town and made it very clear I will be charging the town for harassment if they continue issuing tickets. Her reply - We are not backing down, you do what you have to do Ron. *end of discussion*. About 2 hours later, I receive a phone call, the town are in agreement, they will no longer issue tickets for fishing in the harbour.:clapping:

In fact, they want to meet with myself and Mike to further discuss what can be done to solve our fishing issue in the Cobourg Harbour.

Terrific grunt work and determination to do the right thing Ron ! Paid off eventually and hopefully the town has learned something from this and that other municipalities take heed. I'm heartened to hear the town wants to work with you to solve the fishing situation and the town can only benefit from this as far as I'm concerned.

Kudos !

Great stuff Ron... now be sure to get the new ticket dismissed officially in court (ie - the muncipality has no constitution capacity to assess power over fishing... that is under the jurisdiction of the province) so there is precedent for all other towns that do this !

In fact, they want to meet with myself and Mike to further discuss what can be done to solve our fishing issue in the Cobourg Harbour.

WTH I have not even been down to the Harbour before how did I get involved in this :wallbash: Oh well I guess I can make a fishing trip.

Great work Ron so is this the place for the next OFC G2G?