dodge dakota

rob v

I've got a 12 year old ford ranger that's done me well. 3 litre engine tows my boat (1750 fishhawk/crestliner with 115 hp opti - probably 2200 pounds or so ) okay - but doesn't have a lot of spare power after that. I've been giving some thought to making a change and know a guy who owns a new dakota. He seems pretty happy with it - but its loaded. I'm not looking to spend a lot of coin (the only thing I use my truck for is towing the boat) but I would like to have something dependable and that can tow my rig. looking at 2005 or later (3rd generation dakota's). If anyone has any experience with the Dakota I'd love to hear from you. I like the sounds of the 3.7 litre v6 (210 hp)- but I'm wondering is the standard 4.7 litre v8 (230 HP) wouldn't be a better option - of course knowing the gas mileage sacrifice. Anyways - any thoughts ?

I've got a 12 year old ford ranger that's done me well. 3 litre engine tows my boat (1750 fishhawk/crestliner with 115 hp opti - probably 2200 pounds or so ) okay - but doesn't have a lot of spare power after that. I've been giving some thought to making a change and know a guy who owns a new dakota. He seems pretty happy with it - but its loaded. I'm not looking to spend a lot of coin (the only thing I use my truck for is towing the boat) but I would like to have something dependable and that can tow my rig. looking at 2005 or later (3rd generation dakota's). If anyone has any experience with the Dakota I'd love to hear from you. I like the sounds of the 3.7 litre v6 (210 hp)- but I'm wondering is the standard 4.7 litre v8 (230 HP) wouldn't be a better option - of course knowing the gas mileage sacrifice. Anyways - any thoughts ?

you wont be sacrifice gas mileage with the v8 on the highway or towing. in fact, i'd argue you'll get better mileage in those two situations, particularly towing. in the city, yes,the v8 will be thirstier. get the v8.

these are my observations after going from a 4.0L I6 Jeep to a 4.7L V8 Jeep.

Edited by Raf

Like the other guys say...V8. However, you have to look at how often and how far you tow and compare it to the amount of driving you do without the boat behind you. If you drive 45 mins to work and tow your boat 3 klicks to the local ramp...I'd think about it. But out on the highway with the V8, you'll forget the boats back there.

"Wow, I could have had a V8!"rolleyes.gif

I have a 2001 V6 (3.9L) Dakota. Definitely get the V8. My truck is thirsty and underpowered at times. The 3.7 has few more horses, but I had one in a 2003 Liberty for awhile and it was as thirsty (or worse) than my Dakota.

Overall, a good truck, I've been happy with mine. Most of the mileage on mine was done in the first two years (113K), since then it's only an occasional vehicle. Over ten years old and only 155K now, I plan on keeping it for many years to come.

I have an '06 Dakota with the 3.7 V6.

Mine was used when I bought it and I would have preferred the V8, however I got a good deal and of course often you have to compromise something when buying used.

I have no complaints, the truck performs well and is about as thirsty as I expected.

As far as towing I haven't had to pull anything as heavy as you so I can't advise you on that.

If you are interested in looking at some comparable fuel consumption rates you can check out this site:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/compare/compare-search-one.cfm?attr=8,

Go with the V8 all the way, more power means less stress on the engine esp when going up hills etc, I pull my boat with a Hemi Jeep, and am getting 25 mpg pulling on the highway, check out the reviews on the Dakotas for the year your looking at by going into Google, I have heard they can be hard on the front end ie balljoints etc with the wider tires that they come with

great info gentleman. i kinda wondered about the gas mileage thing while towing -...i.e. does an under-powered/over-worked engine working hard drink more gasoline than a larger engine that's not working hard ?

Dan - most engines can't take much overheating before something warps/wrecks can they ?

thanks for the mileage chart also.

Billy Bob - the tundra idea has crossed my mind also - but they don't exactly give them away ... if you can find one !

that's a good link spirit of fishing provided and supports what i thought.. the v8 gets better mileage on the hwy than the v6.

looking at the dakota specs it appears as though the v8 comes with the same 45FRE 5 speed auto tranny as in my Jeep vs the 4 speed 42RLE in the v6. THe 45FRE is a good trans and widely regarded as the tougher of the two when it comes to towing/abuse. something else to consider in favour of the v8 since you'll be towing.

Edited by Raf

4.7 Durango here. It hauls ass I bought it after seeing a landscaper friend dump 5.3 ton of backfill out of a trailer no Bull! This engine is serious and reliable. The v6 is under powered (before 2011) and the truck would have to work hard under load to get any speed causing high RPMs(guzzleguzzle) of gas and high stress merging/passing. Do yourself a favour if your buying a recenlty new one, make sure its a desirable model so that iTs still worth something when your done with it. Don't cheap out now and lose a higher percentage on resale.

That's sound advice

However, the Durango models are quite comfortable and well equiped for towing. The higher end first and second generations have 3 radiators(engine, oil, power steering) and 2 airconditioners, heated leather, perfect size for anying, plus AWD lol I love my truck and for under $15000 used, its a steal.

Why do all my posts feel like rants

During a spell away from Japanese mid-size trucks, got a brand new Dakota in 2004. Figured it was safe, as final year in model line and most bugs would be worked out. Wrong. A lumbering jackass of a vehicle and couldn't wait to get rid of it. It had the 3.7 which was underpowered and hard on gas. If you get the 3.7, find one with a standard transmission.

-vehicle was skunked right from design phase due to lousy fuel system - did not use a mass air flow sensor, but determined base line specs through mathematics between air temperature and barometric pressure. Stories exist of having to stop truck in mountainous areas to 'reset' the barometric sensor to get proper acceleration.

-onerous maintenance schedule to keep truck in warranty. Oil change required at every 5000 kilometers, rear diff lube changed at 19,000 kilometers intervals, no drain plugs for differential so 'pumpkin' casing had to be removed to drain and then resealed before new lubricant put in. For most people dealer only job at $400 for a 4X4 truck.

-Steering column needed replacement at 90 km (yes, ninety), crank position sensor went at 16 thousand kilometers (on the 3.7 they left off the cam position sensor so engine had no reference to go into a 'default' mode that might have got me home), one ball joint bad at 80 thousand km, both bank O2 sensors replaced twice before 125 thousand km, plus other stuff I forget. Truck was delivered with some in cab parts rusty - seat mechanisms, dash support structure, etc. Box was mounted crooked. Doors and hood misaligned.

-One good thing - you could read check engine codes by manipulating the odometer in a certain way - didn't need a scanner - check Dodge internet forums.

-The next few model years after 2004 had problems with the wrong size rear axle installed, the usual ball joint problems, and a bunch of different engines with 'inspirational' names like Magnum, but with little practical use other than marketing.

-The pictures of workers smoking pot and drinking beer during their lunch hour at the Warren truck plant answered a lot of my questions as to how a company could sell crap like this vehicle.

And lastly, having had dealings with many dealers, found the Dodge dealers to be the worst in 'upselling' while truck was in for service. Having cleaned/serviced the battery for winter the day before an oil change, was 'surprised' to be informed that the truck needed a battery service @ $50. Of course due to regulations, wouldn't let me see my own battery.

end rant and bad flashback <_<

How can you blow anything off the road when you sit in the middle lane and go 2kmph slower than the rest of traffic? :dunno:

LOL...GOOD ONE... :clapping:

I don't always drive in the middle lane...but when I'm on vacation heading north to some God's country walleye grounds I'm in no hurry because I know I'll get my fair share of fish once I arrive...

But Dana, keep up that sharp mind, I liked that post... :thumbsup_anim:

99 Durango 4.7L plenty of power towing 19' Grumman I/O. 176,000 mi. with never a powertrain issue. Mileage suks...ave. 15.3

Only issue is it eats ball joints like candy.

And...they're hard to see out of...big pillars & trailer mirrors make pulling out in front of someone very easy.

Edited by Rodwrap

Does it have to be a truck? I'd look at an escape for something small that can tow. The 3.0 is a good motor and have more HP in the recent models.

Otherwise I'd look at Toyota or Nissan for a compact truck. I'm a big 3 fan but their smaller trucks have lots of issues and pigs on gas.

Edit: another thing about them is the lack of refinement on the powertrain.

Some of them only have 4spd Autos in them. The odd one has 5. That combined with higher gear ratios make for bad mileage.

Edited by scugog

I've got the 2010 Mazda B4000 (same as Ranger) with a 4.0 litre V6. I've been very mean to it and already have 45 000kms on it. My opinions on it:

-reliable so far

-not great on gas.600kms MAx for a 70litre tank

-very bread and butter... Not much luxury or amenties.. Seems basic even all trimmed out.

-fantastic off road

-likes to be put to work

-traction control is a royal PITA.. Especially while trying to free the truck from the snow or mud.

-already looks like its 10 years old (some of that is my fault)

-its probably worth half what I paid by now

-seems well built as far as quality goes.

-the engine is a bit weak for such a big V6. Torque is ok, but HP is way down.

-doesnt impress the ladies.. At all.. Unless there is a canoe on it and even then, not so much

I wouldn't trust a dodge and if I didn't beat up my trucks I'd buy a Tacoma. They are too nice to beat up.

mu buddy had a 2001 V8 quad cab. i really liked the truck. he sold it to his brother in law @ 100K and it just fell to bits. brakes, transmission, ball joints, one thing after another. its long gone now.

might not be typical, and its too bad i really liked the truck.

i have a tacoma its about the only thing in the size range of the dakota quite frankly its a much better build...