Barbless or Not

fish_fishburn

Was out in B.C. this summer fishing and was introduced to barbless fishing for the first time. Didn't really know what to think but after doing it it makes total sense to me. B.C. is 100 0/0 barbless for everything throughout the whole province.

My experience was that my hook-up, loss ratio was really no different then fishing here with barbed hooks. Was actually quite suprised by that, as I thought I would lose alot more fish. The best part was releasing non targeted fish as the hook pops out with no effort what so ever, and no damage to the fish.

Now having experienced barbless fishing I find it odd that its not implemented here in Ontario. My take is it's really no big deal but it's so much better for the fish survival when released. Whats your opinion.

I fished barbless when I was in Alberta this year. I was a bit nervous about it, but like you I landed more than I thought I would. Makes you pay attention more and ultimately makes you better at fighting them I think. The big pike put up a good fight too! Fishing for bass in the slop would be a different story for me I think. When they get caught in the weeds I have a feeling I'd lose a lot more.

Barbless hooks are not widely available here but I'll often pinch or file the barbs down. It makes it much easier on the fish and much easier to release the fish. I don't know about the evolution of fish hooks but I imagine that back in the day, everyone fished for food on the table. They'd throw trot lines out and leave them there for hours/days even, and the barbs would help keep their fish on the line. Nowadays, people fish less for the table and more for the sport and relaxation. We're always in contact with our line so we don't really need barbs. It'd be nice to see a few more people going barbless without having to regulate it.

We fish barbless pretty much all the time, i got sick of wounding smaller fish before i put them back. Fishing with barbless hooks makes taking them off the hook soooooooo much easier. Unless you absolutley have to get that fish in the boat, i dont see why everyone doesn't do it.

As i get bit older ,, uuhhg.. it doesnt matter to me so much whether i get the fish in the boat esspecially if i know that they are just gonna get thrown back any way, and if im keeping them for the table, well.. its a more sportsman like challenge, and if ya keep your rod tip up, and your drags set right, your not gonna loose them any way. and if y do.. like I told my kids when they were 5, if ya loose it, don't worry, there will be another one right behind it. Now ive got great kids who love to fish for the sake of fishing, not the sake of eating...

Fishing barbless, is not only more sportsman like, it will help you be more attentive and a better angler as far as Im concerned, and Ive never dated anyone named Barb.

hmm keep your rod tip up... i think ill change my sig to that!!! LOL

True what you said Roy. Funny thing is in B.C. it's hard to find barbless hooks in any of the tackle shops I was in. And if you find them they are really expensive. The way the C.O.'s check your hooks out there is the run the barb over their thumb nail and if it scratches the nail your busted. I recall a few times I would change my hook and forget to pinch the barb and after a half hour or so remember and pinch the barb. Good thing there was no fish cops around at the time.

I fish crushed barbs most of the time - I fly fish mainly and can release a fish without touching it or taking it out of the water most of the time. If it needs netting (if it's bigger or I can't see the fly) the fly is normally out as soon as it gets in the net.

I primarily target bass, not that it makes a difference, but I have lost a lot of them with barbed hooks. I want to be a better angler all around, so I think come next season, I'll start pinching some barbs on my trebles and see what happens... Worst case, I will lose every fish and I'll have to get better at fighting or go back to barbed... Maybe I could pinch the rear treble on my lures, and leave the barbs in the front hook until I gain confidence. The rare time I have issues getting little fish (usually pike) off my hooks makes me wish I had hook cutters, so barbless is where I want to eventually end up I think.

If you're fishing mostly reaction type baits (topwater, spinners, trolling cranks, etc.) the chances of a deep hookset are low, I'd stick with the barbs.

Smallies are hook spitting experts!

Hmm, yeah? That's mostly what I do... I often get pike by mistake, though, and one time a smallie somehow got hooked by my Hula Popper under the bottom jaw, from the outside, and it was near impossible to get out - luckily I was keeping that fish anyhow.

The worst hooking was a pike on my floating Rap with three trebles, so I took one of the trebles off and that seemed to help. I'd love to go down to one treble, but not confident enough, not sure which to leave on, etc.

Well anyhow, I do know I won't be pinching any barbs next time I try for an aurora. I'd add more barbs if I could..

I fish almost completely barbless, for whatever species I am targeting. Less damage to the fish and no reduction in landing ratio. I also find it strange that in Ontario there are few restrictions on barbed hooks. Obviously there are a variety of barbless only regulations across Ontario, but I think this needs to be revisited and possibly changed to all barbless.

After having travelled West last month and having the opportunity to fish countless locations, one regulation that I found in Alberta (Bow River) that I feel should be implemented for the Credit River and all other heavily pressured Salmonidae habitats in Ontario is a barbless only catch and release program for anything over 30cm. This would ensure a productive fishery that produces quality fish, encourages recreational fishing, and protects our environment for decades to come.

I fish my muskie lures 100% barbless and am starting to think ill go barbless on my worm hooks as well. Got a few bass this year that absolutely inhaled senkos. Even going through the gills and reversing the hook out, i found the barb was a big hinderance. More than one met the knife because the damage was too significant.

i was thinking kind of what terry stated, im not going to keep it anyway and its just gonna stink up my boat. if i lost it boatside im still gonna tell you guys i caught it.....

back in the day i met this chick named barb, she said she was on the rebound....what a weekend!