Barbless or Not

fish_fishburn

I'm surprised more people aren't going on about barbless musky hooks considering how passionate people are about these fish. If bolt cutters are an ethical requirement, and the fish is all fragile and delicate, why not fish with 100% barbless hooks so after you cut them, they can fall out easier? Also, wouldn't it be easier to release a musky as quickly as possible without even taking it out of the cradle with barbless? These hooks are usually huge, so this seems logical to me.

There is a Barb at work I would like to pinch.

I fish almost exclusively for Bass, and as such I don't pinch the barbs down. However when I do go pan-fishing int he spring I use barbless. I should have used a barbless hook when I found my ex wife. I could have thrown her back easier.

I'm surprised more people aren't going on about barbless musky hooks considering how passionate people are about these fish. If bolt cutters are an ethical requirement, and the fish is all fragile and delicate, why not fish with 100% barbless hooks so after you cut them, they can fall out easier? Also, wouldn't it be easier to release a musky as quickly as possible without even taking it out of the cradle with barbless? These hooks are usually huge, so this seems logical to me.

barbless muskie fishing is slowly gaining ground but i think many people who are targeting these fish do not want to risk losing 'the fish of a lifetime'.

if hooks wont pop out easily and you decide to cut hooks, what's left of them will fall out barbs or no barbs. to your 2nd point, the fish never leaves the net/cradle/water during the unhooking procedure.